Rocna revealed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah what the heck...I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the Wind Horse and its new bretheren are very handsome vessels in that they are classic examples of form following function. I happened to catch Wind Horse as she passed by Campbell River a few years ago and have to say that she was flying and yet just slid through the water with no fuss.

As mentioned, she has a huge Rocna on her bow. Thought I'd mention that just to stay on topic.

I'm surprised though that nobody has commented that there is no steering wheel on Wind Horse. Not one.

Way back in the last century when I was in high school and guys were messing with cars and engines and not I Pads, the old saying was, "If it won't go chrome it." This brings to mind teh notion that way too many of today's beautiful "trawler" vessels are parked in marinas with low hours on*their big engines. Grand Banks, Hampton, Horizon, OA,* etc you name it. All parked because the owner cannot afford time,* fuel*or upkeep.

Dashew has taken the reverse philosophy steps of doing away with exterior paint, packaging the space required for blue water cruising not dock sitting and untilizing small engines operating well into their HP range. His concepts*and products are designed*for an uncrewed vessel and capable well heeled owner/voyagers. Not too many fit this mold, but the few that do have fun.

Hollywood, you may want to debate with Steve his sailing vessel's ability to sail to weather. He is very accessible and I'm sure he'd take you up on a bet.

Conrad,** ...not so. I think they are "handsome" vessels too. I don't care for all that bare aluminum but the lines are great. I'd go look'in at an old FG version about 40' long w a 54hp engine**** .....in other words*** ...cheap. Windhorse's are unobtainium to me and I'd like to see more flare in the bow*** ...just to reduce the wave piercing tendency and to make it a bit dryer. I wonder what their hp/per ton ratio is?

sunchaser,**** I remember ""If it won't go chrome it.". But it was "don't" * ..not "won't". Like "six in a row don't go". And you did'nt see unpainted custom cars out of the shop either. However many were a work in progress to such an extent that some were forever in primer such that cars in primer became a bit vogue. The skinny bow w little or no flare on Windhorse was just a part of the design where he did'nt bother to or realize he was thinking IN the box (of sail boat design) while the rest of the design was "out of the box". Who car'es about sailing qualities**** ......I'm talk'in trawler here!

Bow flare vs buoyancy is an interesting debate. A perusal of Dashew's tank testing, computer models*and real voyaging clearly demonstrates unnecessary but esthetically pleasing "bow flare" eats up speed, requires more fuel and increases hobby horsing. The most positive attribute of bow flare is front deck space. With the pilot house aft, deck spray is not an issue.

Eric, who said*blue water cruisers*need bow flare? Dashew never*intended to make a slow inefficient "trawler" with lots of bow flare.*Bow flare is for go fasts*and partying at the dock! A very worthwhile endeavor I might add.

Peter B wrote:Carey wrote:

*This boat was designed by an architect, looking to do something new. ...........I can't say without doubt, but my memory says it was powered by a small (and I want to say Lehman) power plant. The engine was mounted very low in the keel, which was about three feet wide at the bottom center, with a huge flat shoe.

*Carey, I still have that article, and the boat is powered by twins.......so maybe that will contribute to the twins versus single discussion.* From memory they are quite low powered units, especially for a vessel of 83 feet.* John Deere 150 hp turbos I think.

*Darn memory. I don't know what boat I am confusing it with.*

Carey wrote:Peter B wrote:Carey wrote:

*This boat was designed by an architect, looking to do something new. ...........I can't say without doubt, but my memory says it was powered by a small (and I want to say Lehman) power plant. The engine was mounted very low in the keel, which was about three feet wide at the bottom center, with a huge flat shoe.

*Carey, I still have that article, and the boat is powered by twins.......so maybe that will contribute to the twins versus single discussion.* From memory they are quite low powered units, especially for a vessel of 83 feet.* John Deere 150 hp turbos I think.

*Carey, I'm pretty sure (I'm going on memory also) that you are thinking of Traveller, which was about 53' long, had bare aluminum everything outside, and had a Lehman sitting in a wide keel. Beautiful teak interior. It was a one-off by a fellow who then went on to build Ultralight aircraft. Or built them before, I can't remember. It was in PMM back in the late 90's I think.

Conrad wrote:Carey wrote:Peter B wrote:Carey wrote:

*Carey, I'm pretty sure (I'm going on memory also) that you are thinking of Traveller, which was about 53' long, had bare aluminum everything outside, and had a Lehman sitting in a wide keel. Beautiful teak interior. It was a one-off by a fellow who then went on to build Ultralight aircraft. Or built them before, I can't remember. It was in PMM back in the late 90's I think.

*Conrad

That's the one. So at least that confirms I'm not insane, but just a little mixed up. Doesn't she somewhat resemble the Dashew vessel?

I'd say bow flare is elementary Watson. To have lots of lift when meeting head seas one needs lots of volume in the bow. And if you don't have lots of lift in the bow you're going to go through waves instead of over over them. If you have a low PC (skinny bow) at the water line and a goodly amount of flare you'll have a traditionally designed boat w good low resistance without the tendency to bury the bow. The flared bow is not to reduce spray but to provide lift. I don't care what sail boats do. They probably get away w violating traditional yacht design principles by having very little mass in the ends of the boat. Less volume in the bow would be required to lift it over waves but trawlers usually have a flared bow and a fairly "pointy" water line form. Sailboats make many concessions to good yacht design in the interest of good sailing performance. As one would expect in most motor sailers you'll find a high volume bow w plenty of flair. It's a standard recipe for seaworthyness.

Carey wrote:Conrad wrote:Carey wrote:Peter B wrote:Carey wrote:

*Conrad

That's the one. So at least that confirms I'm not insane, but just a little mixed up. Doesn't she somewhat resemble the Dashew vessel?

*They're similar in that they are long narrow boats with the aged aluminum finish. The Traveller has much smaller windows and a pilothouse, while the saloon is somewhat lower and has strong (I assume) round portlights. Hadn't thought about it in a long time, but I do recall that I was quite impressed with it, at least from what I saw in the article. I believe that it had some serious offshore experience including a run out to Clipperton Island off South/Central America.

I found the Traveller more appealing than the Dashew boat actually.

*Conrad

*They're similar in that they are long narrow boats with the aged aluminum finish. The Traveller has much smaller windows and a pilothouse, while the saloon is somewhat lower and has strong (I assume) round portlights. Hadn't thought about it in a long time, but I do recall that I was quite impressed with it, at least from what I saw in the article. I believe that it had some serious offshore experience including a run out to Clipperton Island off South/Central America.

I found the Traveller more appealing than the Dashew boat actually.

*For fun I just dug up my old Fall 1996 PMM containing the article on Traveler. Indeed a handsome vessel (if you like the bare aluminum finish) which came in at 52' long x 12'9" beam x 4'6" draft and displacement /ballast of 44,000/10,000 lb. Jim Millett was the designer/builder. It has one double and one single berth.

Conrad wrote:*The Traveller has much smaller windows and ...*
*The McKeen Motor Car company made self-propelled railroad passenger vehicles which were heavily influenced by boat design: "turned-over boat bottom" for a roof, round, port-hole*windows, sharp front (bow), and round back (stern).* Not aware they carried Rocnas, however.* The aerodynamics of the design sucked in exhaust through open windows/ports, thus the oft-used nickname "skunk."

So whats the latest on the Rocna's? Looks like they are made out of cheap and weak steel but I've heard nothing bad about the design except the're weak on short scope and don't bury very deeply but hold very well despite that. Mostly because of the short scope issue I think the Supreme is a bit better but the Rocna is still one of the best performing anchors in the world. I modified my Supreme a bit by grinding off the extra part of the roll bar that sticks down below the bottom of the fluke and filled a hole about the size of an egg (w JB weld) so it should penetrate and dig a bit deeper than standard. I hav'nt tried the XYZ yet. Maybe I'm afraid.

PS,** I knew that Smith guy was a snake!

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 14th of April 2011 08:46:37 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
So whats the latest on the Rocna's? Looks like they are made out of cheap and weak steel but I've heard nothing bad about the design except the're weak on short scope and don't bury very deeply but hold very well despite that. Mostly because of the short scope issue I think the Supreme is a bit better but the Rocna is still one of the best performing anchors in the world. I modified my Supreme a bit by grinding off the extra part of the roll bar that sticks down below the bottom of the fluke and filled a hole about the size of an egg (w JB weld) so it should penetrate and dig a bit deeper than standard. I hav'nt tried the XYZ yet. Maybe I'm afraid.

PS,** I knew that Smith guy was a snake!

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 14th of April 2011 08:46:37 PM
There are serious questions about whether the steel in the Rocnas is as advertised, or an extension of hype.* There are credible allegations from users and former employees on the topic, and tesing is being done to verify what the truth is (not by Rocna of course, but by others).* It is verified that Rocna has made up their RINA certification, and fiddled with test results.** So, I guess the jury is still out.* Craig Smith's toxic tactics seem to have backfired, but because the design came up with by his Pa is pretty good, Rocna still has many supporters.* What is clear is that most boaters will not test their anchors in extreme conditions, so deficiencies in manufacturing may not surface for most boaters.* For those for whom it does surface, the consequences may not be pleasant.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't trust an anchor made by Rocna anymore than I would buy an investment from Bernie Madoff.

Since we have been anchoring boats for thousands of years , and playing with lightweight anchors since Mr Danforth, the fellow with a "new" anchor ,( that costs more per pound than a commercial aircraft ) is always suspect of a con job.

Danforth, CQR, (not Chinese knockoffs) of a pound a foot of boat or more ,will usually do the job far better than the latest "story anchor.

Your anchoring gear is your Insurance, would you by insurance from some guy that claims to have just invented insurance?

nomadwilly wrote:
So whats the latest on the Rocna's? Looks like they are made out of cheap and weak steel but I've heard nothing bad about the design except the're weak on short scope and don't bury very deeply but hold very well despite that. Mostly because of the short scope issue I think the Supreme is a bit better but the Rocna is still one of the best performing anchors in the world.
Hi Eric, as an aside, and for what it's worth re that scope issue... I have the actual mag copy PMM April 2006, page 72, where in the article by the dashews called "Getting There', they describe how they have found the vessel after considerable sea miles, and on the subject of anchoring, Steve says, and I quote...
"As you might expect, we like really big anchors.* Our primary hook is 250 lbs (A Rocna), and the advantage of this in everyday conditions is that we can use very short scope after it is set - typically two to one."
Just thought you might like to hear that from an actual user. Hey...here's me defending Rocna, when I have one of it's main opposition, but I just like to correct mis-information.

Peter

As best I understand, Dashew was refering to the weight/size of the anchor allowing lesser scope, not the anchor "design." He said the same about his overweight Bruces* he used for decades, lesser scope can be allowed if the anchor is oversized. Once again, size matters.

Hollywood, you may want to debate with Steve his sailing vessel's ability to sail to weather. He is very accessible and I'm sure he'd take you up on a bet.
*Years ago, when Steve ... who I very much admire by the way... made the switch to power from sail was calling his new boat a " unsail boat ". At the time I did drop him a note which to my surprise he did respond to.* He must of been having a bad day when he responded to my comment when I said " call it what it is... A power boat".** Regarding the Deerfoot and Sundeer sailboats. They are awesome boats... but just as most cats.. they don't do well close hauled. You need to sail the polars to really make time.* I also believe I was quoting Dashew on the 5 kt rule.*

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do prefer fast boats, cars airplanes to slow ones for their sleek lines.* But in a voyaging boat I would rather have a Delfin than a Windhorse.* The Windhorse is fast... no doubt. But it is limited in every other function.*

Luckily we all like different boats or it would be really boring to walk around a marina

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 wrote:
Luckily we all like different boats or it would be really boring to walk around a marina
*I can honestly say that I have never seen an ugly boat! Sure, I know there are home builts and modifications to production boats that may be offensive to the purest but when one considers what the mission (intent) was for the designer/builder, even a tree house sitting on a raft looks good to me. (Well, maybe not GOOD, but certainly understandable.)
omfg.gif

Tom,**** "size matters"*** ....indeed. Not even I will argue about that. But once an anchor is set weight does not matter** ...just size, strength and design. As to short scope work I think design is the dominant factor. The Danforths, the Supreme and the Super SARCA seem to have a significant edge here and think short scope performance is important. The Fortress and the Supreme (according to tests) retain 90% of their holding power at 5-1 when at 3-1. The SARCA has less holding power but can be dependant to perform well on any bottom and at any scope in any conditions. Of course that's not true but it looks like the SARCA can come much closer to doing that than any anchor in the world. FF has a strong point about anchoring and insurance. I saw an ad for Danforth anchors in that 1953 Motor Boating mag and they were implying it was an anchor that had been depended upon for a long time THEN (1953). In pleasure boats there is no more popular anchor than a claw and they are challenging the Forfjord in the Alaska fishing fleet. Just because some puffed up jerk like Rocna Smith comes along and tells us all other anchors except his are garbage is nonsense.

FF wrote:

Your anchoring gear is your Insurance, would you by insurance from some guy that claims to have just invented insurance?
********* Excellent Question--- My feelings exactly!* JohnP

JohnP wrote:FF wrote:

*I may be guilty of that. Last year* Moonstruck's insurance is underwritten by Lloyds of London
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:JohnP wrote:FF wrote:

*I may be guilty of that. Last year* Moonstruck's insurance is underwritten by Lloyds of London
biggrin.gif

The jury is still out on this one.* Insurance may predate Lloyds by quite a few centuries. lol********* JohnP

JohnP wrote:Moonstruck wrote:JohnP wrote:FF wrote:

biggrin.gif

The jury is still out on this one.* Insurance may predate Lloyds by quite a few centuries. lol********* JohnP

*According to my info, the pirates probably invented insurance or would you call it protection.* Lloyds is credited with inventing the first modern day insurance.* They are still at it.* Have any space shots you want insured?

Moonstruck wrote:

"According to my info, the pirates probably invented insurance or would you call it protection.* Lloyds is credited with inventing the first modern day insurance.* They are still at it.*"

So are the pirates it seems.

Open a shop in my old area of the Bronx , and you will probably have lots of folks selling "insurance"!

This makes my life easier.* My Coot is coming with a 33-pound Bruce-like anchor which is undersized, but should be fine for*my initial boating activities*for sheltered, lunch-hook, mud-bottomed conditions.* But when I upgrade and with Rocan*no longer*"in the picture," I'm now considering only two choices: heavier Manson's Supreme or Ray (Bruce-like).* What will probably "swing" the decision (pun intended)*is the ability for the anchor to remain buried or reset itself*when there are wind/current changes.

markpierce wrote:
This makes my life easier.* My Coot is coming with a 33-pound Bruce-like anchor which is undersized, but should be fine for*my initial boating activities*for sheltered, lunch-hook, mud-bottomed conditions.* But when I upgrade and with Rocan*no longer*"in the picture," I'm now considering only two choices: heavier Manson's Supreme or Ray (Bruce-like).* What will probably "swing" the decision (pun intended)*is the ability for the anchor to remain buried or reset itself*when there are wind/current changes.
*Mark, my own experience with different Bruce/Claw/Ray type anchors is that they work really well if heavy, as in over 100#.* In fact, they are probably hard to beat in that class since the weight gets them dug in and once dug in, they present perhaps the biggest surface area in resistance to drag. In the smaller sizes, the new generation anchors can't be beat for quick setting in most conditions.* You mentioned the Manson, but I wouldn't rule out the Fortress, which always tests well, and if the Sarca Excel is ever available in North America, that would be my choice.

I have been criticized in private messages for raising the question of the reliability of Rocna in their commercial claims.* While the question of metallurgy is still being tested to see if former employees, current customers and former vendor claims are accurate regarding sub-standard materials, Rocna's dishonesty in other claims is pretty hard to question.* I came across a posting on another site that sums up the situation much better than I could, and I'll offer it as an excellent summary comment on the issue until other credible test results are in and available.* This is from a guy name Maine Sail, who has posted some very favorable videos on the Rocna that you can see on Youtube.* In fact, he likes the design very much.* However, he is also aware of the issues I have raised, and responded in this way to a straightforward question on whether he would use a Rocna or a Manson on his own boat. The 'Steve' referred to is Steve Bambury, CEO of Rocna.
<h2 class="posttitle icon">*</h2><blockquote class="postcontent restore">
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by nikonf3blue
Maybe Mainesail could "put this all to bed" and tell us what anchor is he going to hang off his bow this Spring. Cheers K.Brown
Answer:

<blockquote class="postcontent restore">It will be my Rocna. The big "but" is, will I continue to recommend this product to others? Perhaps I will in the future, IF Rocna decides to play HONESTLY I may. For now their misleading "Sail Data" and the claims they are stronger than a Manson Supreme I find unsupported and misleading. Steve has made changes to the RINA claims, which is excellent, but it should have never been intentionally worded like that in the first place and was only changed when folks picked up on the dishonesty.

Both of these points still go unsupported and the sail data lacks a clear and concise methodology of their interpretation of the data and what data points were "selected" to arrive at those numbers. Steve's explanation DOES NOT work any way I have sliced and diced the data. The "Our anchor is stronger, and yours is abysmal" rhetoric has now finally been challenged by Manson. To this challenge there has been no real response from Rocna head quarters, which leads me to only two scenarios;

1) The claims that the Rocna is stronger were flat out bogus?
2) They already know the answer and will not get on camera only to see their product beat by the Manson Supreme adn eat crow?

I have been through the Sail Data line item by line item and can't for the life of me figure out how or where they came up with that data that would remain a fair and objective analysis of the data. I would LOVE a DETAILED line by line explanation of which data points were used to make that graph.

It is still a great anchor, you won't hear me say otherwise, but I can't stand behind a manufacturer who intentionally tries to mislead customers, WHEN THERE IS NO NEED TO DO SO, no matter how good the product especially when there is another product so similar, for less money, and has a Lloyds "certifications" of SHHP, not that it really matters for beans but if you are going to claim it, when you don't have it, then I guess it's fair game.

Show me it is stronger, and be HONEST with your Sail Data Set, and lose the Pit Bull/Playground Bully attitude and defamatory behavior towards your competitors and I may continue recommending a Rocna. I don't personally see ANY of those items happening so I will continue to recommend the MS for now...

Sadly a good anchor has been the innocent road kill of Craig's antics.

<a>file:///Users/erichenning/Desktop/Practical%20Sailor%20Large%20Anchor%20Tests-5.pdf</a>

<a>Mark,</a>

Have you seen this anchor test? The Ray did very well but this is a Manson test and many think claws only work well if they are very large and not so good if they are smaller like what most of us would use. I think that notion is bunk and can see no reason for that to be true. In the bay area a Fortress would prolly be the best you could buy but there is the storage problem. A solution for that problem would be to install a hawse hole in the bow like the guy did in the picture below. Would look very nautical also. The Supreme would prolly be the best "swinger" but mud can get thick enough to plug the roll bar hole. I'm not you but if I was I'd consider a steel Danforth and the hawse hole. Or Windline makes bow rollers for Danforth types.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:12:51 PM

Attachments

• sth71062.jpg
    sth71062.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 92
Delfin wrote:
*Mark, my own experience with different Bruce/Claw/Ray type anchors is that they work really well if heavy, as in over 100#.* In fact, they are probably hard to beat in that class since the weight gets them dug in and once dug in, they present perhaps the biggest surface area in resistance to drag. In the smaller sizes, the new generation anchors can't be beat for quick setting in most conditions.
*Carl,

I agree that the Bruce-types aren't as efficient as far as raw holding power for a given weight.* Still, the lunch hook for my 24-foot auxiliary sailboat was an 11-pound Bruce.* It never failed in that role, and was always quick-setting in the mud-bottoms of the Bay Area.

nomadwilly wrote:
<a>Mark,</a>

Have you seen this anchor test? The Ray did very well but this is a Manson test and many think claws only work well if they are very large and not so good if they are smaller like what most of us would use. I think that notion is bunk and can see no reason for that to be true. In the bay area a Fortress would prolly be the best you could buy but there is the storage problem. A solution for that problem would be to install a hawse hole in the bow like the guy did in the picture below. Would look very nautical also. The Supreme would prolly be the best "swinger" but mud can get thick enough to plug the roll bar hole. I'm not you but if I was I'd consider a steel Danforth and the hawse hole. Or Windline makes bow rollers for Danforth types.
*Eric, I had re-read that article earlier today.* I've found even extremely light (like 11-pound) models set quickly but*I've read and been told they*need to be heavier than many other anchors for the same holding capacity.

At this point, I'm not willing to spend the thousands of $$ installing a hawse hole and redoing the windlass, particularly to accommodate an anchor design I'm not enamored with.

While the Danforth types are very efficient for a given weight, they*don't appear to be*very versatile as to their usefulness in some bottom types.* I don't like their having moving parts ready to pinch a body part nor their capacity for bringing up lots of sticky mud.* They also tend to "sail" and not dig in when they move through the water as when*one is attempting to anchor in a strong current.* Also, I'm concerned about*their capability to reset themselves.* I'm willing to "settle" for a heavier, less efficient design avoiding those negatives.

I wonder if spending three,*six*times or more for a*forged anchor like the Manson*Bruce-like compared to a cast Lewmar Bruce-like*is worthwhile.*

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 15th of April 2011 11:36:22 PM

Back
Top Bottom