Replacement Oil Lines Perkins 6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wiggle Room
Vessel Make
Spendrift 58
Hi All, I would like to replace about 10' of the flexible braided external oil lines on my Perkins 6.354T engines. The lines appear to be about 1/2"-5/8" and they have the replaceable screw in ends. I hear this type of line can be repaired at sea. I expect that this hose is used in many diesel applications. Western Hose here in San Diego told me that they would have to buy a 100' roll of the hose. What is this hose called and where can I source some?

Thanks,

Dan

I'm thinking it's probably reusable hydraulic hose . Most industrial farm or bearing type stores carry it or anyone that makes up hydraulic hoses . The fittings are two piece and one of the pieces has a left hand thread . Good luck . You shouldn't have to buy a 100' .

I'm thinking it's probably reusable hydraulic hose . Most industrial farm or bearing type stores carry it or anyone that makes up hydraulic hoses . The fittings are two piece and one of the pieces has a left hand thread . You shouldn't have to buy a 100' .The collar screws on the hose and the fitting screws in the collar . You might have to match the hose brand to make your fittings work .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the double post . I'm on my third glass of wine .

Greetings,
Mr. db. RATS! Mr. PM beat me to it. I was thinking a hydraulic shop/farm store as well. Probably wouldn't cost you all that much extra to have the shop make up the hoses for you.

Just saw your post Mr. PM. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Now get off the sauce and your a** and get William back in the water. Lolly-gagging won't be tolerated (at least not for long).

wine.gif

Last edited:
Only 2 glasses of wine? Its hot here in San Diego and I am on my 2d rum and coke trying to figure out this daunting hose problem. One of the hoses sprang a BIG leak when I changed marinas last month and I don't want an encore. Are they called AN 10?

Remove the hose, clean it up and take it to a good auto parts store that has the hydraulic tools to make new ones. If you're concerned have them make 2. (As spare) But usually the spares aren't used for years.

I think means 10/16 th or 5/8 . I'm not sure about the AN ?.

Thanks RTF . Dr said a little wine is good . William gets splashed tomorrow after 3 months on the yard .

Congrats on the launch, always a good day. BTW the research tends to show that 1 glass of wine is better for your general health than none, and that 2 is better than one, however, it stops there and 3 is not better than 2. Relax, be happy.

Re usable hose and re usable fittings must be worked together. The fitting will not work on just any hydraulic hose. ANy decent hydr. vendor will know that.
Engine oil will often run somewhat hotter than the coolant so that needs to be allowed for. The hose won't burn up but it will harden sooner that a hose with a higher temp rating. It will still take years. But again a decent hydr. shop will know that.
Just tell them.

I use re usable hose and fittings on my own boat.
Yes it can be done on the boat but a vice, a sharp fine tooth hacksaw, some wrenches, a sharp knife and a pair of sharp wire cutters often make things easier.

Get the guys at the shop to show you how to work with it.

ebay and logging suppliers are other places to look. For fancy stainless braid and fittings, hot rod supply.

Thanks all. The oil hose seems to be 12AN and there are multiple vendors on ebay that sell it. However, the steel AN fittings on the hose only have wrench flats on the sleeve that fits over the OD of the hose. The ID part of the fitting, the one that turns into the hose has no wrench flats and I can't get the 2 pieces apart. Anybody had any luck with a method? A vice on the hose does not work, the hose just breaks up.

I have had lines made for my Perkins turbo and oil cooler. I was told that regular hydraulic hose will not take the heat of hot oil. Make sure your hose guy knows what he is doing.

Take the hose off and take to a local hydraulic shop. This summer replaced all 12 of the high pressure fuel and oil lines. A local hydraulic shop made them. The transmission is 190 psi so had all the hoses rated for 600 psi. Cost 100.00 average per hose. I would go 2 to 3 times the highest psi.

The old hoses lasted 20+ years and still in good shape. Saved and stored as back up just in case.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The oil hose seems to be 12AN and there are multiple vendors on ebay that sell it. However, the steel AN fittings on the hose only have wrench flats on the sleeve that fits over the OD of the hose. The ID part of the fitting, the one that turns into the hose has no wrench flats and I can't get the 2 pieces apart. Anybody had any luck with a method? A vice on the hose does not work, the hose just breaks up.
I wonder if you could put a blank fitting in that end and jam them together . Then use that to back it out of the hose . The one that screws into the hose might be left hand threads .

Thanks Pack Mule, I think I will try this, nothing to loose.

Couiflower Co in Md 21221 made exact replacement for oil line hoses on our Perkins T6.354. They may be nation wide. Quality fillings,high pressure oil line, reasonable,good service.

Couiflower Co in Md 21221 made exact replacement for oil line hoses on our Perkins T6.354. They may be nation wide. Quality fillings,high pressure oil line, reasonable,good service.

FYI , Incorrrect spelling...Colliflower is a hydraulic hose/fitting replacement build to order co with locations in Md,Va,Penn,Fla.

Best to take to a hydtaulic shop. Just saying.:flowers:
I agree I've seen people try things with hyd hose that they shouldn't .I was hoping for db2 that this would be an easy fix . If the hose and fittings don't match it may have worked but it wasn't right . I've seen people try and put reusable fittings on standard hyd hose before . The hose and the fittings need to be the same brand . Get some new ones made and make sure they wash them out . Metal filings from cutting the hose can still be in the hose . Sorry but we did try .

I was able to get both end fittings off of the worst oil hose today. For those that come after me, the correct male flair fitting is 3/4 JIC (not SAE). This fitting is turned into the end of the female fitting on the hose and tightened VERY tight. This locks the fitting nut to the inside portion of the fitting and you are able to turn the fitting apart. It is a regular right hand thread. I had to re-tighten the male to female several times. Also, penetrating oil to the crack on the hose side of the nut will go right to the fitting threads. On the other hoses, I will shoot P B Blaster into the cracks several days before I start work. I am happy with this solution. Now I can carry a 2' spare section of 12AN braided oil hose and I will be able to repair any oil hose on the engines at any time, even at sea. Thanks to all those that helped with this project. I love this forum. Dan

I can't get the 2 pieces apart. Anybody had any luck with a method? A vice on the hose does not work.
AFAIK these are NOT intended to be 'reused'. I know they cost a bit. But they do have a 'life'. These fittings are not meant to be 'reused'. These are marketed to be 'fitted in the field'. and custom made. They are NOT marketed as being 'reusable'.

Find either a source to buy new fittings/hoses, or (more preferably) have them made commercially.

On my 'other' vessel we have hydraulic hoses thrown out after 5 years. There is a reason. Do you want your engine, reduction gear, steering system on a 'second rate' level?

Try Discount Hydraulics on line. They have BSP / JIC fittings. Have had good luck with them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom