Jarvis Newman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ballyhoo1

Hello, I am new here. Anyone want to share information about Jarvis Newman boats and V892 natural engines?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 977
WOW!!!

Welcome aboard.

Fine looking boat you have there.

Not familiar with them but she looks to me ito be*a well found downeaster.

SD*

I don't have or know much about the Jarvis Newman, other than to appreciate the lines. DD is also not in my knowledge base, but I do own a 36' Spencer Lincoln designed lobster boat which we cruise here in NW Washington. So, if you want to talk lobster boats, I'm in.*
smile.gif

I really like the workboat look of your vessel. She's sweet!!!

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 13th of April 2011 02:35:41 PM

Quite a few Newman's around here, both pleasure and working. Here's a pic of my favorite in our harbor.

Jarvis is still in business although with a new partner and new location (still in Mt. Desert area):http://newmanandgrayboatyard.com/ngbhist.html

If you have questions about your boat, give him a call.

There is also a Newman Yacht brokerage in the area. Don't know if Jarvis is involved with it although I think he was at one time.

http://www.yachtworld.com/jarvisnewman/jarvisnewman_0.html

Carey, Spencer Lincoln designs nice boats. I wish I could afford one like the Zimmerman 38. He's a wacky local character around here. Last time I saw him on the water he was driving a chartreuse 1950's runabout speedboat with tailfins in a reckless way right at us. (I dated his girlfriend briefly between my marriages).

Attachments

• dscn0038.jpg
    dscn0038.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,112
dwhatty wrote:*Last time I saw him on the water he was driving a chartreuse 1950's runabout speedboat with tailfins in a reckless way right at us. (I dated his girlfriend briefly between my marriages).
*Maybe the last sentence tells why he was driving right at you.

JD wrote:dwhatty wrote:*Last time I saw him on the water he was driving a chartreuse 1950's runabout speedboat with tailfins in a reckless way right at us. (I dated his girlfriend briefly between my marriages).
*Maybe the last sentence tells why he was driving right at you.

*Naw! He's friendly. It's just the way he is.

Love the downeast boats and the way the lobster hulls run.* Carey's boat is a really nice example.* The big 8V92 is* great engine.* They were designed mainly for work situations----not pleasure.* There is nothing like the sound of that roots blower when it cranks up.* Tell us more, and please put up some pictures of your boat.

skipperdude wrote:DavidM wrote:
If I recall correctly J-N doesn't build the hulls.
David, *I think it is the other way around. They build the hulls and farm out the finish.

<h3 class="r">Jarvis Newman Yachts - The Legend Continues</h3>

That's the way I understood it. Lobster boat builders, designers, finishers are all unique to Lobster Boats. No other design that I know of, offers the customer the ability to choose the hull and house, choose the power setup, then choose who will do the finish, and in a totally custom layout. If money and time were not an object, I would commission a 42' Lobster Boat with nearly the same layout I have on my 36'.*

If I had the time and ability, I'd just buy the bare hull and finish to my likings. That's how my boat came about. PO, was a cabinet maker, and had the hull/house with engine and transmission shipped across the country for him to finish.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 13th of April 2011 07:26:14 PM

Looks like fun , BUT the chance of efficient displacement cruising is ZERO.

IF 1 nm per gallon ( or hald that) fits with your cruising style , go for it.

Moonstruck wrote:
*The big 8V92 is* great engine.*
******* My 54' sport fisher had two 8V92"s (760hp each) and ran beautifully. I agree, they** are great engines.

Attachments

• img_2465.jpg
    img_2465.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 169
Moon wrote "They were designed mainly for work situations----not pleasure."

I don't know what DDs were designed FOR** ..but it seemed most diesel powered pleasure boats in the 50s were powered by Detroit Diesels. I've heard much talk about how DDs were great oil leakers. How does that happen? I looked in my 1953 Motor Boating magazine for DD ads and found none. Many engine ads for other makes. Saw many boats in the mag w DD power though. We've been in Ketchikan for 2 days and I bought 2 cans of Dolfinite. And there it was in the 1953 Motor Boating Magazine.

Thank you for the welcome! She is a 46' and was built in 1979. Originally she was a research vessel for Woods Hole. I bought her in 2005 and put in electric, water, living quarters, and made her very comfortable and simple. I have been living on her since. She has 305 HP and cruises at 10 knots @ 1650 RPM. Her burn rate is 4 GPH. I picked her up there and brought her to Florida. I love to fish so lots of cockpit space is important.

She is a beauty,J-N are excellent sea boats and are also a joy to behold. My late father considered the JN 46' to be the perfect boat,sadly he never got to own one.

Happy boating.

John

"I've heard much talk about how DDs were great oil leakers. How does that happen?"

Poor mechanics . lack of PM , and such a long service life that finally the seals go.

""She has 305 HP and cruises at 10 knots @ 1650 RPM. Her burn rate is 4 GP"

Gph on a lightly loaded DD is seldom even 15 hp per gallon.

That is a fine boat to run well over hull speed on 60 HP!!

Gph on a lightly loaded DD is seldom even 15 hp per gallon.

That is a fine boat to run well over hull speed on 60 HP!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello- could you expand on what u are saying here. (15 hp per gallon) I am interested in the HP vs speed.

My max rpm is 2350- she gets there-but I never run more than 1700. I know that someone installed a turbo in their J-N*that brought up HP to 725!!! This hull went 23 knots. I don't want that but am trying to plan for a repower in years ahead. I enjoy the 10 knots , but would love to lower the engine weight if I repower.

I have been trying to put up more pics - they won't complete the upload, just keeps going for 15 minutes round and round.

You may need to resize or make sure they are jpeg

SD

David
Thank you for that lesson. I fully followed your explanation. I probably use a little more when fishing because moving around, etc. When I bought boat down I kept tanks full and ran continuous for about 12 hours a day offshore then in to a marina. I fueled up nightly and I used about 50 gallons daily. Sometimes a little more. Interesting that when I run in water less than 10 feet my speed is exactly the same as the depth. For example if I am in 7' I go 7 knots and when the water increases to 10 again my speed increases back to 10. I feel the boat rise and then settle back to normal angle. I know it is the pressure back push off the bottom from the hull. Anyway just a thanks again.

Very interesting!* Does running in shallow water effect performance and economy?

Anyone have any opinions?* JohnP

The times I went aground, the boat stopped moving.* Never noticed any other effect of water depth on boat speed.

The shallower the water, the slower one should*go because of the possibility of a grounding.* So, in that respect, shallower water affects boat speed, at least for prudent mariners.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 15th of April 2011 01:35:53 PM

David, I sent you a private message.* Look up to the right and click on it in your log in box. Then open the private message.

SeaHorse II wrote:
******* My 54' sport fisher had two 8V92"s (760hp each) and ran beautifully. I agree, they** are great engines.*
*Seahorse, how did you get your dinghy (RIB?) to/from water and deck and over the liferails?

markpierce wrote:*Seahorse, how did you get your dinghy (RIB?) to/from water and deck and over the liferails?
*There is an 800lb capacity davit mounted on the port side of the boat. That portion of the rail was also hinged so that I didn't have to lift the dinghy over the height of the rail. (The davit would have done it, however.)

This is a photo of a photo of "Bank Shot" upon starting commisioning. All the gear, radar, fish finders, davit, dinghy was added after this photo. I went through all my pictures of the boat but couldn't find any of the port side. Sorry!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 15th of April 2011 06:13:52 PM

Attachments

• bank shot.jpg
    bank shot.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom