Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt's creating a beauty!

Congrats on making the 3000th post mate IMG_1476242594.755782.jpg

This afternoon I rubbed back the epoxy resin and did a couple of little touch ups preparing for HB primer. IMG_1476355894.473633.jpg
IMG_1476355910.865590.jpg
IMG_1476355926.701333.jpg
IMG_1476355939.369878.jpg
IMG_1476355950.887242.jpg
IMG_1476355961.422902.jpg
IMG_1476355973.001095.jpg
IMG_1476355983.691851.jpg
IMG_1476356002.811071.jpg

As my 7th grade carpentry shop teacher would say - Wow... That looks s-m-o-o-t-h! :D

HOLY sht - You're to the point of painting! Right on mate!! :thumb: :thumb: :socool:

Opened her up for a bit of off gassing for the next week before getting stuck in to more sanding and final primer prep.

IMG_1476878058.127265.jpg
IMG_1476878088.073839.jpg
IMG_1476878101.893855.jpg

Then did some repairs to a section of glassing I did a few years back that I wasn't totally happy with. I'm happy now.

IMG_1476878154.150242.jpg
IMG_1476878167.398163.jpg
IMG_1476878180.553128.jpg
IMG_1476878205.700994.jpg

Matt - Good to see SOLSTICE breathing... You are perfectionist for sure! Have you guestimate yet for splash date?? - Cheers, Art

Matt - Good to see SOLSTICE breathing... You are perfectionist for sure! Have you guestimate yet for splash date?? - Cheers, Art

Thanks mate. I've decided she needs to go in before my 40th. I turn 38 in December so a little bit of time up my sleeve ATM

Hoping all is still moving along swimmingly Matt.

Hi Matt,

I have been enjoying your build. If you ever need anything from Cape Cod, Massachusetts or Florida let me know..

And thank you for the Inspiration for me to start and complete my small boat repairs.

Mark d

Hi Matt,

I have been enjoying your build. If you ever need anything from Cape Cod, Massachusetts or Florida let me know..

And thank you for the Inspiration for me to start and complete my small boat repairs.

Mark d

G'day Mark.
Thanks for the message and kind offers

What repairs do you have to do mate?

Yo Matt - TY for ever more photos... simply great to see your continued progress. :D

As always SOLSTICE is looking better n' better! I'm sure there are hundreds of TF contributers as well as thousands of Trawler Forum visitors who are blown away by what you have done, are doing, and will accomplish on your baby boat... Hug Flic and tell her how many levels of fun on SOLSTICE is in you guys' future! :thumb:

Double Cheers!! :dance:

Art :speed boat:

Yo Matt - TY for ever more photos... simply great to see your continued progress. :D

As always SOLSTICE is looking better n' better! I'm sure there are hundreds of TF contributers as well as thousands of Trawler Forum visitors who are blown away by what you have done, are doing, and will accomplish on your baby boat... Hug Flic and tell her how many levels of fun on SOLSTICE is in you guys' future! :thumb:

Double Cheers!! :dance:

Art :speed boat:

Thanks mate but there aren't nearly as many contributors as there used to be. I think I've bored them all to death haha.

Hopefully this week I'll be able to shoot on the second coat of primer. I've been having a fair bit of discussion with painters and the Jotun reps about paint viscosity. The Penguard HB in its true form can only be shot with an airless spryer at around 2000-3000psi. Whilst I have a good airless sprayer I'm not wanting to use it for the next two coats because I don't want the thickness. I just want to shoot on some primer that is around 18-22 DIN4 with a 1.4 fluid tip and air cap set up but Unfortunately Jotun don't do an epoxy primer with a viscosity like that. All epoxies work differently and sweat etc so I was in a quandary because I don't want to mix brands. We've all worked out I should be able to safely thin out the Penguard to the viscosity I need to allow me to shoot 2-3 light coverage coats but could be very quick to flash off but take longer to dry. I might try changing tips on the airless sprayer to a fine and see if that's any better. Argh what to what to do.

Matt - Your closing statement/question "Argh what to what to do."... compounded by the fact that I am not any type of a spray paint expert:

My suggestion would be to experiment time and again with different paint and sprayer combinations on scrap materials off the boat... but in same location for similar humidity, temperatures, breezes etc. :thumb:

Having vicariously experienced your non-stop and inventive build-it capabilities throughout this thread, I'm confident you will come up with a great mix of finish-surface products that really make SOLSTICE Shine! :D

Forward Ho, Me Mate! - Art :speed boat:

Greetings,
Mr. H. " I think I've bored them all to death haha. " NOT me mate. Greatly entertained and amused...

giphy.gif

Bored us? Bullcrap!

Most of us are speechless knowing we don't have your level of commitment. Keep going Mate.

Still following along with great interest. I don't have anything to add to the conversation so am just hanging out in the cheap seats.

I keep following along because I am not bored. Amazed would be better. I look at my progress on my project over the same time frame and wonder how one bloke can get so much done. You keep inspiring those of us who are working on big projects by showing us that it can be done. Thanks.

We read, but sometimes we actually have nothing to contribute.

I'm still looking every time you post but now I'm taking you for granted - ho hum, another amazing job by Matt...its 100 degrees with 100% humidity, most Canadians would be dead...doesn't he ever fzck up? Yawn.

"Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Ah ok fair enough. I'll start posting more regularly then. I just figured since there wasn't much visible interest I'd start to concentrate on other things than devoting time to the page. Anyways that's all for the moment. No progress on SOLSTICE over the weekend. Hopefully get down there after work today.

Ah ok fair enough. I'll start posting more regularly then. I just figured since there wasn't much visible interest I'd start to concentrate on other things than devoting time to the page. Anyways that's all for the moment. No progress on SOLSTICE over the weekend. Hopefully get down there after work today.

Yo.... Big Guy! I don't recommend pushing your butt too hard on my (or others') account. I am (also, believe we all are) happy to see what you do at whatever time schedule is comfortable for you. ;)

You are the STAR attraction whose build-it brightness is sometimes blinding. SOLSTICE is the baby you're mind is birthing. Felicity seems to be your leveler that helps keep you grounded! :thumb:

I'm definitely still following along. Hell, I think you should have your own show on the DIY network. I'd watch the hell out of that. I was so excited when I saw her start turning all shiny and white!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom