Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful pics! I hope I see you traveling down the ICW through Palm Coast. You have a gorgeous boat! My luck I'll be in Tampa when you cruise by, but if I'm not, I would be able to see you from my bow!

Beautiful pics! I hope I see you traveling down the ICW through Palm Coast. You have a gorgeous boat! My luck I'll be in Tampa when you cruise by, but if I'm not, I would be able to see you from my bow!

You can always stalk me over the internet at http://www.marinetraffic.com.

Less chance of a mutiny that way! :thumb:

Yes and nobody else to blame. :blush:

Today's sunrise:

20161018_064728.jpg

And to think there are people who would rather work than watch the sun rise from a boat.

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spotted you on Marine Traffic, Ted. Looks like you're part of a parade of boats all pointed south and running between 6 and 8 knots. Go figure! (Although something named Peyton Rose is coming up from behind, still back around Currituck, running at 20+ knots).

Looks like a nice day for traveling.

Questions : why is it when you pull into a protected bay and anchor this far away from the first boat,
that somebody feels the need to anchor 75' from you? :mad:

:nonono:

Hope early departures don't bother him. :devil:

Ted

Ted this happened to us. As I see it they are mostly blow boats. Same folks who don't put out enough scope then breaks free hoping you will save them or they shout at you to "TURN OFF YOUR GENERATOR!" when you were the first into an anchorage.......:nonono:

And to think there are people who would rather work than watch the sun rise from a boat.

Ted

And then there are us who have to continue working until we find a way around it! This time of year can be so hopeful and yet so depressing as we watch everyone leave for warmer weather! Jealous is an understatement. :rolleyes:

Although, I can't (shouldn't) complain all that much, since we do still get to spend every weekend on the water.....

Last edited:
O.C. that is so cool! I didn't even know that wed-site existed!

So I left Camden Bay this morning and made it to the end of the Alligator Pungo canal. There is a nice protected bay just after the canal to anchor in.

20161018_164307.jpg

So far I hadn't seen any evidence of hurricane Matthew. That changed in the Alligator Pungo canal. Not a lot of stuff, but 4 or 5 logs (horizontal ) or dead heads (vertical with the end sticking out of the water as much as a foot ) had to be avoided. They weren't big enough to sink you, but could definitely send you to the prop shop. There was also the occasional branch or chuck of wood that would bounce away from a displacement speed boat. Need to be vigil!

Learned today that the Waccamaw river crested with a new all time record and the Sockastee bridge is closed until the water level recedes some. Very sorry for all those people in that area who have been flooded out. Not sure how it will effect my plans. Will go as far as Southport (3 or 4 days), and figure it out from there.

On a happier note, tonight's sunset pics from the Pungo river anchorage, feature a classic Grand Banks. Enjoy!

20161018_181337.jpg

20161018_182212.jpg

Ted

Just spotted you on Marine Traffic, Ted. Looks like you're part of a parade of boats all pointed south and running between 6 and 8 knots. Go figure! (Although something named Peyton Rose is coming up from behind, still back around Currituck, running at 20+ knots).

Looks like a nice day for traveling.

Yes, Peyton Rose was exceedingly nice. Traveling with another boat, they were doing a crumb under 30 knotts. Didn't catch the make but sort of like a Hinkley or Sabre with HP to the max. Waterway is quite busy. Probably passed or was passed by 40 boats going South.

Ted this happened to us. As I see it they are mostly blow boats. Same folks who don't put out enough scope then breaks free hoping you will save them or they shout at you to "TURN OFF YOUR GENERATOR!" when you were the first into an anchorage.......:nonono:

Now let's not start pointing fingers at those boats with big lighting arrestors. If they knew better, they would have come to the dark side already. :rolleyes:

And then there are us who have to continue working until we find a way around it! This time of year can be so hopeful and yet so depressing as we watch everyone leave for warmer weather! Jealous is an understatement. :rolleyes:

Although, I can't (shouldn't) complain all that much, since we do still get to spend every weekend on the water.....

I'll try not to use up all the nice days. ;)

Ted

First light this morning at the Pungo river anchorage:

20161019_064323-1.jpg

20161019_064359-1.jpg

Peyton Rose making 33 knots this morning, about 5 times faster than me. :blush:

20161019_075211-1.jpg

Ted

Shorter day today. Neuse river flattened out nicely!

20161019_125215.jpg

Welcome to Oriental, NC.

20161019_133505.jpg

Time to take a walk to Piggly Wiggly.

Ted

Made it to the Piggly Wiggly and back. Little over a mile walk each way from the dinghy dock. Stopped in at Tiffanys (West Marine ) on the way. Nicely stocked store. Bring plenty of money. Glad to report Piggly Wiggly is well stocked and should have everything necessary to reasonably replenish the galley.

Tonight's sunset is from Greens cove. A very nice anchorage that seems to be overlooked.

20161019_182225.jpg

Ted

Ted,
You must be living right...safe travels.

As of yesterday, the Socastee swing bridge (11' closed) was closed due to high water. Mile Marker 371. A lot can change by the time you get there.

MM 280, SE NC, Mason Inlet, green can 123a, stay way inland toward the docks. As in 40' off the docks. Green can has shoaling extending at least 50' landward, especially northward. Get past the docks and then turn toward green 123.

Just sounded it with a stick in my jonboat at low tide this evening. Bad spot.

Ted,
You must be living right...safe travels.

Yes, my weather luck has been great so far. Looks like that will end Friday afternoon late. Hopefully I'll be tied up in Southport, NC eating at Joseph's Italian Bistro. :)

As of yesterday, the Socastee swing bridge (11' closed) was closed due to high water. Mile Marker 371. A lot can change by the time you get there.

Yes, been watching the updates or lack thereof. Osprey is open for business, but can't reach them till the bridge opens. May go outside Monday from Little River to Georgetown.

MM 280, SE NC, Mason Inlet, green can 123a, stay way inland toward the docks. As in 40' off the docks. Green can has shoaling extending at least 50' landward, especially northward. Get past the docks and then turn toward green 123.

Just sounded it with a stick in my jonboat at low tide this evening. Bad spot.

Thanks for the warning!

No sunrise pics this morning. Fogged in at Greens Creek. :(

Ted

Yes, down in Southport, NC waiting for the Socastee bridge to go back in service or the weather to settle out enough to go outside to Georgetown.

Joseph's Italian Bistro is the plan for tonight. :smitten:

Ted

Yes, down in Southport, NC waiting for the Socastee bridge to go back in service or the weather to settle out enough to go outside to Georgetown.

Joseph's Italian Bistro is the plan for tonight. :smitten:

Ted

When the downside is time in Southport, there is no downside.

Some pictures from the last few days.

Sunrise at Charleston, SC.

20161025_072745.jpg

Fort Sumter SC

20161025_072951.jpg

Sunrise South of Beaufort, SC.

20161026_073712.jpg

20161026_073728.jpg

Some of Matthew's carnage in SC and GA. :(

20161026_103834.jpg

20161026_105146.jpg

20161026_105240.jpg

20161026_121732.jpg

Ted

The pics make me jealous!!!! More play and less work is what I need. Hard to kick back on the boat and enjoy when so much needs to be done. Sigh.........I'll live vicariously through your pics for now. Enjoy!

This thread is torture. You're out there really living it while I'm stuck with condo rental projects. Meanwhile, my boat stands in it's stall like an neglected horse. :banghead::banghead:

Ted,
When will you be on the west coast? We hope to make Mobile, AL next week, and if all goes as plan, over to St Petersburg by the middle of November. Tracking gulf weather now to judge the pattern.
Only two more locks to do!
We do not have a marina confirmed yet in St. Petersburg so we might end up down in Ft. Myers for the winter.

Sunrise yesterday just below "Hell Gate".

20161027_073434.jpg

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom