South From Michigan in October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, you are right. I know other are suffering more. I get that.

Not homeless. Just not able to actually live in my own home. Listen, we have been dealing with an awful lot here. This has cost my business a fortune. We have no idea when we will be able to reopen. We still don't know when we will be allowed to go home. I spent 24 hours in a hotel with no power and no opening windows. We ran out of food. I was supposed to be doing the trip my dreams bringing my new boat home, but no, I can't do that either. Now we find that our slip was destroyed in the storm and since there have been two tropical storms and a hurricane in just 3 weeks, so much of the marina is damaged there is no other place for us to use. So, now we own a boat with no place nearby to keep it. But, by all means, please continue to lecture me because that's really what I need right now.

Wifey B: I feel for you. I know it feels awful. Just the word "homeless" was an unfortunate choice. I don't know how serious the personal loss is to you, doubt you know the full extent yet. Don't know if you had business interruption insurance. You're suffering now, but just not to the same extent as some. I'm sure your community will pull together once it all settles down. I hope you can escape to your boat, but know that may be impossible. I do understand how serious your loss is. Still I hope you are appreciative that you don't have to live in circumstances like Haiti and many homeless in this country. I'll tell you this too that it feels so horrible right now, but keep in perspective how little time has passed. It will take more time to feel like you have your life back and, sadly, there may be aspects you can't restore. I think of Sandy and it's damage and some houses and marinas are better than the ones they replaced while others were just left to continue to destruct. We know we were fortunate, but we honestly take no joy in that as we see how many have suffered greatly. For some in SC and NC it's even two years in a row.

Mcboatface

Things improved any at all for you? Trip from Holland still on hold or cancelled?

Seasalt

Did purchase happen?

Purchase did happen. The guys started the trip without me as I dealt with the aftermath of Matthew. I caught up, finally, Friday at Green Turtle Bay. We will get to Demopolis tonight, so making progress. From the lovely Ten-Tom....

Darryl

Purchase did happen. The guys started the trip without me as I dealt with the aftermath of Matthew. I caught up, finally, Friday at Green Turtle Bay. We will get to Demopolis tonight, so making progress. From the lovely Ten-Tom....

Darryl

Then you passed us along the way. Probably while we were in St. Louis. You're moving fast. Demopolis is probably 3 years away for us. Seriously, we do intend to stay on the rivers awhile. Glad you were able to get the boat down. Hope the cleanup in St. Simons is going well.

Wifey B: Place your bets here. Over/Under on time it takes for locks 53 and 52 on the Ohio River. Over or under 13 hours? We've heard as low as 6 hours and as long as 20 hours. :lol:

Wifey B: Place your bets here. Over/Under on time it takes for locks 53 and 52 on the Ohio River. Over or under 13 hours? We've heard as low as 6 hours and as long as 20 hours. :lol:

Naw.. I've heard some people are getting through in 2-3 hours.
Just hope for low barge traffic.

Naw.. I've heard some people are getting through in 2-3 hours.
Just hope for low barge traffic.

Barge traffic is fairly slow. We think we'll probably go through 53 between 9:00 and midnight. We arrived at 5:00. There are 5 Tows with 72 barges waiting at 52. One has been there since 1:45. However, 52 tries to work recreational in. The last recreational boat to go through there was less than an hour from arrival to exiting. Nothing else to spend your night doing here other than locking. Well, sleep, but who wants to sleep. We did all take naps today.

Barge traffic is fairly slow. We think we'll probably go through 53 between 9:00 and midnight. We arrived at 5:00. There are 5 Tows with 72 barges waiting at 52. One has been there since 1:45. However, 52 tries to work recreational in. The last recreational boat to go through there was less than an hour from arrival to exiting. Nothing else to spend your night doing here other than locking. Well, sleep, but who wants to sleep. We did all take naps today.

That's the reports I've heard as well, that they're working recreational boats in-between the barges. Hopefully they'll push you right through.

Done. Boat is at its new home in St Simons. 2,350 miles. 29 locks. 19 days. 2 really tired guys. 1 awesome time.

Done. Boat is at its new home in St Simons. 2,350 miles. 29 locks. 19 days. 2 really tired guys. 1 awesome time.

You sure passed us by. Glad you made it to your destination. Good speed to make 124 miles and 1.5 locks a day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom