Fluxgate compass location Robertson AP200DL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt. Pepper

Does anyone know where they installed the compass for the Robertson autopilot in 1990 Grand Banks Classics. I believe it is an original RFC250, if I could find it. I asked Rich who suggested following the cable which is certainly easier said than done.

Does anyone know where they installed the compass for the Robertson autopilot in 1990 Grand Banks Classics. I believe it is an original RFC250, if I could find it. I asked Rich who suggested following the cable which is certainly easier said than done.

My Silverton's compass was located high in the bilge near stern's center between the rudders.

Our compass for the A/P is installed in the bilge right aft of the walk-around bed in the forward cabin.

Mine is in a locker just forward of the inside helm. I wonder if in the flybridge would be a better place. Maybe the bilge is better as there is less movement?

Kevin

Ours was located in the master head - under a cabinet lower shelf. We had to get on our knees, look up under a shelf to locate it.

AP is not usually installed by the boat builder. Rather, it is most often installed by the owner, well after commissioning of the new boat, sometimes not until a subsequent owner has the boat.
Therefore, there can be no "usual place", but rather, the location is found by thinking, where would you put it, if you had to find a place as far as possible from magnetic or electronic items that may cause/receive interference, all without requiring removal of joinery.
I have one in a tiny locker, just by my left hip, if sitting on the head, a second, newer one, visible up on the pillar between the front windows.

My compass, steering and AP, is in front of the helm wheel.

Ted

Attachments

• 100_2256.jpg
    100_2256.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 64
Mine is in the locker under the Stbd bunk of the Vee berth up against the bulkhead. I found it by accident but put a label, visible for future owners.

Take a look in the engine room port side, forward bulkhead. Probably a black or grey can slightly larger than a coffee can.

The compass for the autopilot should be installed as far as practical from large metallic objects (like engines) gauges, instruments, electric motors and large current carrying conductors. That's why so many examples above seem to be in unusual locations. Mine is mounted to the top of a stringer underneath the galley floor.

Ken

Mine is located in the master stateroom upper back corner of the clothes closet.

Ted

You may just have to try to follow the wire. One of the cables coming out of the junction box will be the compass. You have to follow them all till you identify where they go then you will find the compass at the end of one of them. The RFC250 looks like a can about 4" high and about 3" in diameter with a wire coming out the top. the later model compass looks like a 4" black or grey cube.

Marty.......................

Our fluxgate compass is in the liquor cabinet under the stairs to the aft deck. Guess how I found it? Hint: the answer involves rum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom