Lighter subject...coffee! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Starbucks coffee comes with a stirrer.

Bob,
Did you refer to the post I listed re stiring the coffee? Had nothing to do w Starbucks. I made coffee that way in western Alaska (3000 mi.NW of Seattle). Starbucks was 40 or 50 years down the road. I was a "bull cook" on a bucket line gold dredge near Bethel.

The best cup of coffee I've ever had was in Indonesia. The coffee is called Kopi Luwak, supposedly the most expensive coffee in the world.
The coffee beans get their unique flavour because they are eaten by the Asian palm civet (a cat-like animal). The civets eat the raw beans, and the enzymes in their digestive system have an effect on the bean. When they come out the other end, the locals collect them, clean the beans and roast them. The end result is amazing! (and no arms are burnt in the process)

For those of you who use a French Press (I like coffee made this way and have one at home that gets used occasionally) how do you clean the thing on the boat? At home, I dump the grounds down the sink with the disposal. The ground help clean the disposal. I wouldn't do that on the boat, but it would be a pain to try and dump the grounds in the garbage and then rinse the French Press with the limited water have on board.

If someone has a good system, I would be interested since I like French Pressed coffee and the Keurig cups can be harder to find on longer cruises.

Now, as to our coffee on the boat. Keurig. In a way it's just fancy instant coffee, but the ability to have so many choices and flavors and the ease with which it's made, make it our choice. .
Amen! I get up with the chickens (actually before the chickens!) & I just dump a cup of water into the Keurig, pick my flavor off the Keurig rack, hit the button and head for the cockpit. It doesn't get any better than that!:blush:

Attachments

• Kurig.jpg
    Kurig.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 64
Bob,
Did you refer to the post I listed re stiring the coffee? Had nothing to do w Starbucks. I made coffee that way in western Alaska (3000 mi.NW of Seattle). Starbucks was 40 or 50 years down the road. I was a "bull cook" on a bucket line gold dredge near Bethel.
Been to Bethel a few times myself some time ago, while working on the tugs. Interesting area and the trip up the Kuskokwim River is quite a trip. I don't know too many folks who have been there. Don't remember what kind of coffee we drank either! :D

Actually, some of the very best coffee that I've had was served at the Intercontinental Hotel in Athens Greece. It was made from Ethiopian grown beans. Very rich, and very smooth. Nice.

Some of the best coffee I have ever had was in Tanzania with locally grown coffee while in a safari camp in 1985. Coffee was great, just like the scenery, being near Kilimanjaro.

Best cup of coffee, 1972, Jamaica, Blue Mountain Coffee, on my honeymoon with that damn red head. Great choice of coffee. Not so much the wife.

It makes a difference if the beans are ground fresh just before.
If coffee tastes burnt the machine may be too hot and is burning the coffee.
IMO Starbucks coffee is fine, I usually get an extra shot into what gets called a "small" cup, avoiding the "bucket" size some places serve.
Bali coffee is great, civet processed or not, but the gold standard of coffee making is almost anywhere in Italy. They just get it right, even do an "americano",which is a not strong black coffee in a standard cup. Add an extra shot and it works,we call it a "long black". Personally, I crave a "double short black". Apologies if "black" offends PC standards.

Had a new dark roast at Starbucks today. Very good. The great after taste kept my attention a long time afterwards.

Something else I learned from the barista's is that they have soecial water. Exactly the same all over the country .. and beyond perhaps. So a cup of Pike Place will be the same in Florida as here in Washington state. The water is special as to it's mineral or acid level/content too but I can't remember what? I'll ask tomorrow.

The people that come into Starbucks vary a lot. Sometimes they are kinda sleezy and I feel like leaving. And at other times a number of people are really interesting or even fascinating. On occasion foxy. From sleezy to classy. Most of the time I'm on my i-pad or book. Rereading "Man from St Petersburg" by ken Follett. REALLY good.

Interesting Bruce,
The cup sizes up here are called short, tall and grande.

Last edited:
If someone has a good system, I would be interested since I like French Pressed coffee and the Keurig cups can be harder to find on longer cruises.

If you're within the US, order on Amazon while cruising. Have delivered to a marina.

Amen! I get up with the chickens (actually before the chickens!) & I just dump a cup of water into the Keurig, pick my flavor off the Keurig rack, hit the button and head for the cockpit. It doesn't get any better than that!:blush:

Here Downunder that's called "sparrows fart" Walt... :D

Speaking for myself...I never hear it...I'm a night person. :socool:

Greetings,
Best coffee I've ever experienced was brewed in Mahe, the Seychelles. No idea of the name of the hotel or the genealogy of the coffee but still memorable. Possibly African in origin.

Big coffee drinkers here... After years using a percolator, we got a Keurig Riva.. we love cappuccinos and lattes and this machine work flawless!!
Only problem like all keurig need special cups (different than others and kind of expensive)
But let me tell you something.. lack of coffee cup on board conduct to a immediate mutin few weeks ago... I fact, we abort a cruise due lack of coffee ;)

Keurig is Great! At home... We use coffee brand of choice in reusable Keurig insert filter. Pyrex measuring cup under drip-stream... pour rich coffee into mug of choice! On boat... We use drip method of filter in container over glass pot w/ steaming water dribbled in. Either way, by adjusting amount of coffee ground volume to hot water employed we can make coffee as bold (or God forbid - lite) as we desire at the time.

Last edited:
Walmart Rival Coffee pot..$12.00....Great Value Coffee....$7.00 Works for us.......And we drink a LOT of coffee!

The best cup of coffee I've ever had was in Indonesia. The coffee is called Kopi Luwak, supposedly the most expensive coffee in the world.
The coffee beans get their unique flavour because they are eaten by the Asian palm civet (a cat-like animal). The civets eat the raw beans, and the enzymes in their digestive system have an effect on the bean. When they come out the other end, the locals collect them, clean the beans and roast them. The end result is amazing!

I believe this is correct. Just the thought is a little bit off-putting. But when you consider they are washed, roasted, ground, and then passed over boiling or very hot water, why not..? Never tried any though. I bet it costs, as well.

The Admiral has her "boat coffee" every morning when on the boat, drip made coffee with a kiss of Baileys...........:smitten:

I've been roasting coffee for a couple years now and learned a lot in the process and my tastes changed. I used to drink mostly straight espresso shots, but these days I'm more likely to make an Americano or if time, a pour over or use an Aeropress which is the all out fastest way to make a great cup. While I still like dark coffee and shots if it is done well, very little is, and finding something other than a dark roast is like trying to find something other than an IPA at a tap house these days. People today are conditioned to want dark coffee as if it were a competition. Today's brew is better than the shelf robusta crap we were fed for so long, so that's what we want. Truth is, dark roasts get you roast flavor, and not much else. Now, I like a good roast flavor, but it's a single note coffee. It can be good, but good coffees have an amazing variety of flavor out there and we can do much much better. Ethiopian coffees can be amazing, Kona, Guatamala, Panama, etc. they all have their different tastes. If you drink dark coffee, you won't taste the varietal as it gets roasted out as the bean gets darker. Coffee can have some amazing fruit like and chocolate type flavors you are missing out on. People think that a light roast means a weak brew. Instead, the most flavorful cup of coffee simply can't come from a deep roast level, but the lighter the roast the more quality beans, grind and brewing will matter. Firms like Starbucks offer consistency. Varietal coffee is different, cup to cup, season to season, and it's more expensive. So if your Charbucks, you wisely build a business not around bean quality, which you can neither control, nor can you source enough specialty coffee in the first place, so you instead build a flavor profile that comes not from the bean taste but the roast itself. Consistency demands a dark roast and every big chain roasts this way. Then you can source inexpensive beans of wide ranges of quality. Dark coffee has become such the rage that specialty roasters have a harder time moving the expensive specialty coffee they took more care with than the inexpensive to produce French roast they make a killing on.

Next time you are in a good quality cafe that offers a pour over, give it a try. You might be surprised. You also might wind up ordering your coffee direct from a roaster and wait each season for the next crop of Kona to come in, or that particular Ethiopian that tasted like blueberries. It can get a bit obsessive.

Being an old guy with Louisiana roots...(I swam the Sabine River many decades ago just to be a "Texan by the Grace of God"!).... I have to cast my vote for Community Dark Roast coffee!

If you want to see how valuable it is over here, come along side a tow boat Captain that's about 2 weeks into his trip, and ask him if he could use a pound of Community....You'd be surprised how many frozen T-Bone steaks he'll toss on your deck in trade!:thumb:

Being an old guy with Louisiana roots...(I swam the Sabine River many decades ago just to be a "Texan by the Grace of God"!).... I have to cast my vote for Community Dark Roast coffee!

If you want to see how valuable it is over here, come along side a tow boat Captain that's about 2 weeks into his trip, and ask him if he could use a pound of Community....You'd be surprised how many frozen T-Bone steaks he'll toss on your deck in trade!:thumb:
:thumb::thumb:We get 10 lbs of Community Dark Roast shipped to us evry 6 weeks

Here Downunder that's called "sparrows fart" Walt... :D

Speaking for myself...I never hear it...I'm a night person. :socool:
Sorry for the tardy delay, Peter, in answering this but is a "Sparrow's fart' what you hear before the chickens wake up?:blush:

Good post Ghost .. #79
Right now my favorite Starbucks is offering Sumatra coffee for dark roast. Drank it about 10 times normally brewed but the last two times I didn't like it at all especially 3/4 through the cup. One of the last two cups was a pour-over. If the other one was too could that be the cause I didn't like them?

Last edited:
Want really fresh, really good coffee? Order your beans green, roast your own, and grind in a burr grinder. Doesn't matter much how you brew it after that...

Home - Coffee Bean Corral

Love the onboard coffee, too. We use a small Keurig with San Francisco Bay French Roast 'pouch cups' from Rogers Coffee Company. The 'cups' are 95% biodegradable and the coffee is strong but smooth. My coffee costs $0.30-0.35 per cup, delivered to my door.

I like the idea of the cold brewed alternative. I'll have to get some to try onboard. Thanks for the suggestion.

Instant coffee? Taster's Choice? Don, I'm really surprised at you... (insert head shake here)

Ditto on SF Bay French. Our Costco is now carrying it.

Keep it simple. I use a stainless steel 12-cup percolator bought at Cabella's. I use it on the gas stove in galley of a one burner butane stove in the cockpit. Grind my beans at home and bring them to the boat. Best beans are Dunkin' Donuts but they're hard to find ''north of the border''. Usual have beans from CostCo which are OK.
I wish more people did the same [with the one burner butane] and I'd hear fewer generators at 0600 disturbing a quiet remote anchorage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom