Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Dave, it was great to finally meet you! Definitely a good conversation about your experiences on the Loop.

Ted

Glad life and vessel are going good for you. I did sell my 50' Cherubini in Dec. at Thunderbolt Marina to a couple from Atlanta area. They are putting a lot of time and upgrading all systems. Glad to see her in good hands. The bottom zinc in my heat exchanger had broken off and wedged across water outlet, so in the last 3-400 RPM prior to WOT she would over heat. A Tech from Williams Company did great job finding and fixing. Starting to look for 36' GB now. Enjoy the warmth. Ron T.

Years ago (80's) in Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt Marina) they used to leave a USA Today and a box of Crispy Creme donuts on you boat each morning. That was a good thing and likely to be the freshest food I had on the boat.

Crossing St. John's is interesting. Looking straight into the south side it is real apparent. Looking across...not so--- especially when there is a lot of traffic.

Have fun!

that's Krispy Kreme with a "K"

And so it begins again. Left Crisfield, MD this morning at 4 am in route to Fort Myers, FL. With hurricane Matthew little more than a week past, thought I would add some more pictures to this thread to highlight sites along the way and maybe some of the effects of the hurricane. Should be in Norfolk this afternoon and have dinner with TF friends. Unfortunately, Dismal Swamp canal is still closed due to high water levels and possibly downed trees in the water way. So there will be some new pics from the Albemarle and Chesapeake canal. Stay tuned.

Ted

Dawn's first light to the East overlooking calm seas with a light swell.
20161016_065200.jpg

A full moon on a clear sky to the West. Tough way to start the cruise!

Ted

Safe travels my friend. Looking forward to following your journey!

You're missing some of the best cruising on the Chessie. The Rappahannock and York rivers especially this time of year are golden - literally. I know not everyone can be retired.

Safe travels my friend. Looking forward to following your journey!

I'm counting on you to arrange some nice Fall weather for me at Palm Coast. ;)

Ted

I'm counting on you to arrange some nice Fall weather for me at Palm Coast. ;)

Ted

You got it Ted. About 80 degrees today, sunny and low humidity. Today I shall be painting the rest of the topside stripes taking them from an ugly faded blue to Grand Banks Beige. You are obviously having more fun than me! LOL!! :socool:

Be prepared for Stuart and the Okeechobee waterway, Ted. Due to the lake dumping, your gonna run into lots of Green Tide on the East side and we've got plenty of symtomatic fish kills occurring over here on the Gulf side resulting from sewage dumping. Brown Tide or Red tide blooms could be on the rise again. Anyway, welcome back to paradise!

You got it Ted. About 80 degrees today, sunny and low humidity. Today I shall be painting the rest of the topside stripes taking them from an ugly faded blue to Grand Banks Beige. You are obviously having more fun than me! LOL!! :socool:

Heck, we have clear blue and 72 here in Jersey.....painting decks today...:thumb:

January down there is the place to be....up here in Sept and the first half of Oct is the place to be...:D

It is the travel at somewhere between walking and slow biking speed that gets old if you don't have lots of good stops planned...:eek:

Heck, we have clear blue and 72 here in Jersey.....painting decks today...:thumb:

January down there is the place to be....up here in Sept and the first half of Oct is the place to be...:D

It is the travel at somewhere between walking and slow biking speed that gets old if you don't have lots of good stops planned...:eek:

Wifey B: 84 degrees here today and 93 degrees tomorrow. No, not South Florida. In St. Louis. Can you believe this is October. So nice. Everyone warned how frigid and awful October would be. Well, we did have one cold day and two nights on the Illinois River, but otherwise great. :)

You're missing some of the best cruising on the Chessie. The Rappahannock and York rivers especially this time of year are golden - literally. I know not everyone can be retired.
Yes it's very nice on the Chesapeake this time of year. Went up the Pocomoke river Wednesday and Thursday to Snow Hill. Had a great; lots of good kayaking up there. Will put up a thread about it when I get a blow day.

The joys of boat ownership. :rolleyes: I know; I put 18 months in refitting mine.

Be prepared for Stuart and the Okeechobee waterway, Ted. Due to the lake dumping, your gonna run into lots of Green Tide on the East side and we've got plenty of symtomatic fish kills occurring over here on the Gulf side resulting from sewage dumping. Brown Tide or Red tide blooms could be on the rise again. Anyway, welcome back to paradise!

All that will be cleared up and gone before I get there. :rolleyes:

Safe travels Ted!!!

Thanks!

Have a great trip, Ted! Are you running solo?

Thanks! As a friend of mine put it "A crew of one".

Ted

This mornings pics between the Great Bridge lock and the bridge.

20161017_064833.jpg

20161017_070218.jpg

There is a free dock between the lock and the bridge that filled just before I arrived. Boatpocker was very generous and allowed me to raft off Dirt Free (a very nice boat :thumb:). Caught up with Hmason and had a nice dinner together. It seems that hardly a day goes by that you don't see someone from TF on the AICW.

Ted

I think I just saw you go by Coinjock. I have a Seattle Grey Nordavn 43 called CORISANDE. I think your color has more blue, but not dissimilar.
Safe travels,
Maldwin

I think I just saw you go by Coinjock. I have a Seattle Grey Nordavn 43 called CORISANDE. I think your color has more blue, but not dissimilar.
Safe travels,
Maldwin

Wifey B: What is Seattle Grey? Cloudy and overcast? :ermm:

Rocket launch tonight 7:30 to 8:00 PM from Wallops Island. Have a good trip. I will look you up when we get to FM probably in Dec.

Safe travels,
Maldwin

Yes, that was my boat going by. The hull is "Ice Blue"; superstructure is "Mattahorn White"; cap rail is "Corinthian Blue". Your boat caught my eye as I went by. Not because it was good looking and very shiny, but because they're supposed to be out crossing some ocean or rounding some horn, not traveling the protected waters of the ICW. :rolleyes: They look very stout, wherever they are. :thumb:

Ted

Rocket launch tonight 7:30 to 8:00 PM from Wallops Island. Have a good trip. I will look you up when we get to FM probably in Dec.

Sounds good! Are you going to be part of the West coast party crashers at the TF rendezvous?

Ted

Sounds good! Are you going to be part of the West coast party crashers at the TF rendezvous?

Ted

Hope so. Last year we had a Royal Caribbean cruise in January that we had to work around. This year no schedule at all other than heading to the east coast of Fl for about six weeks Dec-January best guess.
We tried to get to marathon last year but weather was awful. New to the rendezvous thing.

Last edited:
Questions : why is it when you pull into a protected bay and anchor this far away from the first boat,

20161017_164628.jpg

and most boats anchor this far away from you,

20161017_164732.jpg

that somebody feels the need to anchor 75' from you? :mad:

20161017_164602.jpg

20161017_182134.jpg

:nonono:

Hope early departures don't bother him. :devil:

Ted

Here are this evenings sunset pics from Camden Bay at the South end of the Albemarle and Chesapeake canal:

20161017_181415.jpg

20161017_181832.jpg

20161017_184217.jpg

If that doesn't make you want to go cruising, sell your boat.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom