A Bad Monkey Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HopCar wrote: "There is something about that boat that just looks right."

It does. And when it comes to boats, that matters. When it looks right (to an experienced eye), it often turns out to be right.

In any case, Bad Monkey is already looking ten times better than the best looking 43' Gulfstar I've ever seen. Very nice, Stan!

There is something about that boat that just looks right.
I got a first hand look at it when I made a deliver to Capstan in Ft. Lauderdale.

On the subject of the worn shaft, isn't there a process where the metal is built back up and then machined round? I think propeller shops often offer the service. I may be wrong about that, but you guys will know.

Hi Parks,
Thanks for the nice words and of course your service!
As for the shaft they can be welded and again machined however this one has also been burnt. Stainless is not great when this has happened and it's not worth the risk. By the time you get it welded, then back on the lathe you're probably looking at $400 and my new one is approx. $650.
Also putting in 2 new stuffing boxes and be done with it.
Calling you later.
Stan

HopCar wrote: "There is something about that boat that just looks right."

It does. And when it comes to boats, that matters. When it looks right (to an experienced eye), it often turns out to be right.

In any case, Bad Monkey is already looking ten times better than the best looking 43' Gulfstar I've ever seen. Very nice, Stan!

Thanks Blissboat.
Still needs some love (a lot) on the inside but we'll get there!
Have some oysters for me. One day we will come back through your area. Love the fishing around there.

I think I will be moving the thread to Builds and refits. I only just found that post area. It's been a year and I never saw it! So if this disappears it will be over there.
Thanks again for the positive comments.

Stan

DJ Clevenger, SA
DJC Marine Surveyors, LLC
954-300-7371
southfloridamarinesurveyor.com

Thanks Bill,
Spoke with DJ today and the survey will be done Monday morning.
Told them you gave the referral.
Monday works well as I will be in town. Hopefully the Monkey will splash Tuesday morning.
Will be able to get a cover-note from insurance to get her back to the Bahamas.
Hopefully all will come together over the next 7 days!
Looking into tenting for pest as well. Has anyone done this?
Stan

Railings nearly completed. should be finished today.
Tender and outboard arrive Monday.
Survey for insurance Monday.
New Stbd shaft and new stuffing boxes should be completed today.
electronics should be finished by Monday.
Hoping to launch Wednesday morning.
Looking forward to seeing the Monkey in real life rather then through pictures. :rolleyes:

Hope the weather stays nice so I can cross later next week.

Attachments

• Last from AR (1).JPG
    Last from AR (1).JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Last from AR (2).JPG
    Last from AR (2).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Last from AR (3).JPG
    Last from AR (3).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 130
That boat has the right lines.

A big thumbs up to you Stan, you and your crew have taken on quite the project and have seen it thru in bristol fashion. I commend you and admire your drive, wish I had a quarter of it. A beautiful boat with outstanding results!

A big thumbs up to you Stan, you and your crew have taken on quite the project and have seen it thru in bristol fashion. I commend you and admire your drive, wish I had a quarter of it. A beautiful boat with outstanding results!

Thanks Rogue,
This heat is certainly playing havoc with drive!
But we have come a long way and things have really jumped ahead in the last few weeks.
Replaced one drive shaft due to being burnt and when we splashed we found the stern tube housing was leaking so back out and shaft out and housing removed. It seems that the only things stopping them from leaking before was the barnacles and the corrosion build up. So both removed cleaned reinstalled and we will go back in the water Monday with fingers crossed.
AIS installed, chart system, wifi airiel for chart system so we can use iPad on fly bridge
2nd bilge pump with manual operation as well.
Gas detector and solenoid, replaced raw water intake hoses.
Installed and wired 24v alternator. Tensioner will arrive Monday and so will install then before running stbd eng.
Railing is completed and swim platform to main deck ladder.
Also today we installed frame for Bimini, which took a little cutting and welding.
New cushions and bedding are in with curtains, and two new chairs(a surprise birthday pressIe From my girl) arriving Monday.
Photos will follow at a later time.
Hoping to leave Lauderdale heading back to the Islands on Tuesday.
Must rest now!!!!!!

Installed a Lowrance WiFi go free system today and now with iPad connected can operate from fly bridge with IPhone or iPad.
The sales man tried to sell me a second Lowrance unit at 1st but once he saw I wasn't going to buy he mentioned this unit. Easy to install and only $200. Very happy.
Will see how it works over the coming week and give some feed back.

Nice work, Capstan!

Some folks find the phone and tablet screens tough to view in the brightness of the flybridge.

Nice work, Capstan!

Some folks find the phone and tablet screens tough to view in the brightness of the flybridge.

Depends on the device! I sat outside in the cockpit of our sailboat today, mid-day reading a book on an iPad Pro with sunglasses. A bright sunny day here in Block Island and the screen was more than bright enough. I couldn't do this on my previous iPad...
Bruce

Depends on the device! I sat outside in the cockpit of our sailboat today, mid-day reading a book on an iPad Pro with sunglasses. A bright sunny day here in Block Island and the screen was more than bright enough. I couldn't do this on my previous iPad...
Bruce

Sailboats don't count! You were probably in the shade of all that fabric waving in the air above you. :D

Well she is finally back in the water and hopefully we will clear Lauderdale tomorrow and head back to the Bahamas and the island.
We will take a 3 or 4 day trip so we can relax a little!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 261
Cheers! and safe journey.

We just arrived back on the boat after being gone for a week. Left Austin at 1:30 and here on the flybridge sippin a zafra and coke feeling very fortunate at 10:30 pm. Cheers again !

image.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Looking north from south Portland to the Portland harbor skyline.

Well she is finally back in the water and hopefully we will clear Lauderdale tomorrow and head back to the Bahamas and the island.
We will take a 3 or 4 day trip so we can relax a little!

attachment.php

Must have went to far south.She's upside down. :lol:

Capstan is from Australia. That's why the picture is upside down.
Have fun on your trip and post some pictures.

Have a great time and don't forget the pictures, lots of them.......:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 863
She looks fantastic, congrats!

Have a great time and don't forget the pictures, lots of them.......:thumb:

Thanks for the changing the photo right ways up:rolleyes:
Couple of pics. We had good weather for the trip with a few issues on the boat. Will get into that over the next days as lot's to catch up on here at work.
1st photo Andre with some freshly caught Lobsta at Great Isaacs.
2nd stop Chub Cay for clearance.
More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 282
It has been quite a while.
Thought I might post the Bad Monkey swinging on a Exuma Park mooring. She was there for the duration of hurricane Matthew. We had 130+ here. Still haven't been to see her but my friends sent me these pics to put a smile on my face.
I will try and update this with my continued works to her in the near future.
Hope everyone else came out OK from the hurricane.

Attachments

• Monkey 1.jpg
    Monkey 1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Monkey 2.jpg
    Monkey 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 178
Aft cabin starting to go back together with a little bit of paintwork.
Boat still on mooring and don't see much work being done for the next month!! Then it will be Christmas nearly, so that means middle January!!!
At work we are rebuilding some Mahogany doors in the boat compound.
I am saving shortened pieces and will put them through the thicknesser and use them in the main salon and maybe the floor in the heads!.

Attachments

• IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 194
I like a simplistic interior.it don't take much to make me happy on a boat.

That's some major combustion chamber damage.What happen to weld and crack that piston?

I like a simplistic interior.it don't take much to make me happy on a boat.

That's some major combustion chamber damage.What happen to weld and crack that piston?

i'm gonna go with dropped or stuck valve. skirt looks good so it wasn't washing down the hole or a lack of oil.

i'm gonna go with dropped or stuck valve. skirt looks good so it wasn't washing down the hole or a lack of oil.

Sorry guys, that was from Cat 3406 which provides power to the island, not the boat. Yes dropped valve. Not sure what happened there!

Boat still on mooring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas one and all.
In 5 weeks it will be 2 years since we purchased the Gulf Star 43 Mark 1 Trawler.
At that stage we will be 6 months behind my scheduled completion date.
Not concerned at all and apart from a 3 month period where hardly anything was accomplished, it's been fun and rewarding.
The "Bad Monkey is still a few months away from where I will be happy.
So a few jobs completed since last on the sight and a few pictures as well.

Install tracking and sew side canopies for main salon.
Prep floor and install new tiles
Seal Stbd aft window
Install sink,
Heat resistant paint applied to aft cabin interior
New paneling aft cabin and paint
Trim in aft cabin
Refinish flooring aft cabin and bathroom
New hoses and wiring aft head
Main salon sand prime and paint overhead
Install rope lighting main salon
Remove doors strengthen and refinish
Refinish aft step
Sand and refinish bow sprit
Change to fortress anchor from Bruce
Reseal and screw down superstructure
Run wires and install solar controller
Install Gas detection/shutdown controller
New fenders
New dock lines
Tiles down in Main salon
Begin teak install main salon
New outlets main salon

Wash and polish topsides
Move vessel to Normans Cay pond over Christmas period

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Be there in a sec!.jpg
    Be there in a sec!.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 139
Looking very smart, Stan. As usual, you and Monkey set the bar high. Best wishes in the new year.

Thanks Guys,
I thought I took some more pics of the interior- but can't find them. Just these 2! Will have some more in a week or so.
Trying to make it "Beachy" looking. As you can see none of the trim has been done around the windows etc.

Have a great time in 2017!

Stan and Jen

Attachments

• Eng room fire ext controller.JPG
    Eng room fire ext controller.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Interior M Salon (2).JPG
    Interior M Salon (2).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Solar controller.jpg
    Solar controller.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 136