NW storm today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess because its the nastiest storm to ever hit this area, since they started keeping records.

Wifey B: And how well do you remember the 1948 Great Spring Snowmelt Flooding or the 1950 January Blizzard? :ermm: And they were only a very short time before you were born.

I am more familiar with the 1950 blizzard, but not sure I have heard about the Spring snowmelt. What are you doing, just looking up weather events to prove a point? So yeah, there are things I haven't heard of. But this was local and huge. Good grief.

I am more familiar with the 1950 blizzard, but not sure I have heard about the Spring snowmelt. What are you doing, just looking up weather events to prove a point? So yeah, there are things I haven't heard of. But this was local and huge. Good grief.

Wifey B: Yes, looking up stuff to make a point that it's not all that "amazing" that people don't know about it. The spring snowmelt was huge too. Most of the time we don't remember weather events until there's another similar that brings the old one up. Now, today's winds have brought it into conversation. 1962 is ancient history to young people. Not making fun of older just don't be so shocked younger don't know about it. You can educate us one at a time. I now know about it and other Washington weather events I didn't before. :)

Well, with what kids have been being taught for the last 40 years in the public school system I guess you're right. I should not be surprised.

Greetings,
This flood was before my time BUT I do know about it and it killed 21 people!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Serious thread creep!

Molasses in the streets. We were in an oceanside (Pacific) village in Costa Rica in 2008 where molasses was used on the streets as a top coat, to keep the dust down. Nobody got killed.

Back to today's storm:

Presently (1600 PST) blowing 20 knots SE in Houston Passage. Not the forecast 50.
4:00 PM news just now repeated the forecast of 50+, but a little later than forecast.

RT, believe it or not I HAVE heard of the Great Molasses Flood! BTW, wind picking up here a bit, rain has let up for now. Barometer falling at just over 29 in.

Our peak wind here at the house in Port Angeles today has been 5mph. This is an amateur/household station and we live on the hill to the south of town. We have had just a little over one-half inch of rain today as I write this.

Our peak wind here at the house in Port Angeles today has been 5mph. This is an amateur/household station and we live on the hill to the south of town. We have had just a little over one-half inch of rain today as I write this.
Did you mean 50 mph? We are gusty here in LaConner at 8pm but not bad, forecast says up till 2 am Sunday it could blow. But they have downgraded the storm by the sound of it. Cant say I'm sorry.

It is a lot quieter than expected. We are on the water, on Houston Passage. Our peak windspeed to now(20:00) has been under 35 knots. At high tide, a couple of hours ago the surf was pounding parts of the beach that hadn't seen water since last winter. The mooring bouy was rising and falling about 4 feet.

A Mayday was in progress in Fulford Harbour for a kayaker in the water. Why would a guy go out when the forecast was for up to 55 knots of wind, in a bay exposed directly to the direction of that high wind? He was recovered successfully.

Because some people are a special kind of stupid. I saw windsurfers and kayakers on the news tonight!

I'll be heading to Hadlock tomorrow to see how The Promise fared. Time to "winterize" anyway. ;)

Last night our chimney ended up in the front garden. :eek:

Sorry to hear that Dave.

I just got up ... Watching Fareed Zakeria on GPS w the one and only Bill Mahr.

I think the wind fizzled(hope) but we're up in the hidden valley. Often the wind goes right over us. Depends on the direction. Tell me it fizzled. We're still an area of benign weather it seems. A bit too much heat in the summer for me though.

The big wind failed to materialize. The highest we saw was under 35 knots, just before dark. After dark the noise of the wind gradually lessened till bed time, and never disturbed us. Awoke to under 10 knots and gentle rain this morning. I will move my boat back to its regular dock later today.

After the kayaker Mayday in Fulford Harbour at 18:10, no further rescue activity near Saltspring Island..

My brother in Kirkland sent me this.
Mq1YF2J.jpg

I just got up ... Watching Fareed Zakeria on GPS w the one and only Bill Mahr.

I think the wind fizzled(hope) but we're up in the hidden valley. Often the wind goes right over us. Depends on the direction. Tell me it fizzled. We're still an area of benign weather it seems. A bit too much heat in the summer for me though.
Why would anyone watch those two clowns? LOL!

Wind didn't hit LaConner much either, just breezy, still is this am. Not raining anyway.

We lost half of a mid sized tree.
Won't rebuild either.

Storm over. I am in St. Helens OR and highest wind we got was 38mph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom