View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Dune

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, I agree with the other suggestions - get it done properly, or just wait until you can. The idea of you wedging full time on, a solenoid that activates a high current bearing circuit, and just driving it from the helm circuit-activating switch, in other words a low current circuit that merely activates the foot switch, but not designed to be exposed to a really high current circuit, gives me the smell of burning, over-heating wiring up my nose, for some reason. The foot switch is designed to be used that way, (in bursts), but the helm switch may well not be, in other words.
Seems like there would be no current flowing thru the foot switch until I flipped the helm toggle whether the foot switch is in on or off position, and the helm toggle would be exactly the same in terms of time on. In fact if what I propose is not ok then what is the purpose of the helm windlass toggle existing ..... since it also has a circuit breaker on the main panel plus a big red overload button in the engine room ?
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote