NW storm today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Oh the irony! I was just about to post this when the power quit!! Back on seconds later so will try again. Its blowing pretty good here today in the NW of WA state, probably Oregon and BC as well. Heard this may rival the Columbus Day storm of '62 but that would surprise me, as that was a monster storm, perhaps the biggest to ever hit this area, blew down whole sections of forest on the Olympic Peninsula and surrounding areas. Blew over 100 off the coast. Anyway this should not be as bad as that but forecast is still calling for gust to 60 and more even tomorrow night if they are correct in their forecast. We'll see. So keep your heads down out there local members. Its literally smoking thru the Hole in the Wall at the south end of the Swinomish Channel where it can funnel thru. Hope the power stays on.

A little farther South, the Washington State ferry wind reports just went over 40 knots.

We just got a heads up from the harbormaster via E-mail. Should be ok as were 90 miles inland from Astoria, but ya never know for sure. Good think my brother is just across the river in Vancouver, and if all else fails.....ASD will check Pairadice if he's able to.
Best of luck to everyone for a short storm and no damage!

I'll be heading to Hadlock tomorrow to see how The Promise fared. Time to "winterize" anyway. ;)

Last night our chimney ended up in the front garden. :eek:

Last edited:
This is a pretty ugly storm. Top gust today over 100 mph and seas over 30' off Washington and Oregon coast. Weather models say tomorrow's pulse should be worse. Over a foot of rain to go with it at elevation. F1 or better tornado touched down near Tillamook as there was a lot of spin to this first large low pressure system. Tomorrow supposed to get below 975mb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-braces-for-even-stronger-windstorm-saturday/

Watching the weather man on KIRO Seattle. He said there was a lot of talk especially on FB about how this was the worst storm to ever hit the area. He assured everyone that this was not the case. Bad but not that bad. I think Columbus Day '62 will hold onto that record.

It amazes me how so many people in this area have never heard of that storm. I was 9 then living in Seattle and remember it very well. Mentioned it today to several people, nope, never heard of it. Amazing.

Last edited:
I remember. It hit here in Vancouver, B.C. too. I was 14 walking home when a telephone pole crashed down about 50' behind me. I remember.

Lots of trees downed.

But I'm not surprised that younger folk don't know about it or anyone not here at the time.

Our power just went back on. Been off for most of the day. Gotta scope up on the weather report for tomorrow. As I remember tomorrow (Sat) afternoon the big one is supposed to hit us. But before the power went off I wasn't paying too much attention.

As it is we lost a fairly small tree and no other damage. But the next storm (Sat) is supposed to be worse. I'm going to go check the forecast now.

Eric, not to mention you are in the flood zone as well. Keep your feet dry and your head down!

Not as bad as 1962. But still "HURCN FORCE", that's pretty rare in a west coast NOAA forecast.

P_24hrsfc.gif

It's been pretty rocky here in Seattle- winds have averaged 30-35 since about 3 this morning.

Tomorrow around 3-4PM looks to be the worst of it as the next low comes on shore. Looks to be around 50kt outside of Westport with 29-30' seas. Haro and Georgia Straits looks to see 40 knots with over 10 footers on 5 seconds.
Lots of lines.....I expect 30 knots at 180 degrees for the Seattle boat and about same at 140 degrees up in Blaine. Not the best direction for either but expect we will be ok if that is as bad as it gets. The outside (Coast) will be a good place to avoid!

Wow! Just saw the weather report for out there! Ya'll stay safe!

Looking at the forecasts it doesn't look like all that much wind for all but the extreme NW part of the state of Washington. I remember the '62 Columbus Day storm well. We lost several windows to shingles from upwind houses and the pear tree in our back yard blew over. Now that I live on an island on the coast of Maine I don't get excited over anything less than 60 knots. We have nor'easters with 60+ knot winds every winter. In contrast to what you are dealing with, our wind storms tend to be accompanied by a foot or more of snow. You guys in Washington are getting soft. Hell, I was out sailing a few weeks ago in 30-40 knots. Not a big deal. That said, I understand why you might have some power outages since you haven't had a significant storm that clears out the weak trees for quite a while.

Marine weather forecast for south of Nanaimo predicts 50 knots out of southeast for later today and tonight. Ferry delays and cancellations in effect. Ganges Harbour will be a mess. Put out some extra lines Koliver.

Here at Bay Area got some rain yesterday but expect wind/rain today afternoon... preparing lines, cover with tarp stuff... keep head down at north!!

I'm going down to pull the lines up tight but my only somewhat serious concern is the roof over the covered moorage. I was planing to move Willy out to open moorage just before high winds (now) but I still haven't got my new exhaust hose so Willy isn't operative. I cut the old hose off w a hack saw so I'm just going to hope the roof is OK.

Re you guys imply'in we're wimps out here I'll gladly be a wimp where damage to boats, docks, roads and our houses are unlikely. I've lived in Alaska numerous times and am glad to leave that part of Alaska where it is. But storms down here in western WA are more troublesome than the Alaska weather. So many cars, traffic and infastructure down here that it kinda gets all tangled up and turns into a mess w/o that much wind, snow or whatever.

Also in Thorne Bay there was an emergency generator that automatically started up and went on line so w a power outage all we experienced was a little flicker. We've had power outages down here that lasted days. Never that in Alaska. So I want to get back home before the wind gets serious. But I'm really glad I won't be faced w 100mph winds. More like half that will happen in the sound but out on the coast it may be close to 100mph.

I was 12 during the Columbus day storm. We lived in West Seattle and had bedrooms with West facing windows. We taped them up and didn't sleep there. I was sure they were going to break. I'm not worried about our boat. It's out of the water at Delta Marine for bottom paint. The power here in Duvall is guaranteed to go out though. One of the four roads into town has been closed since yesterday with downed trees. Everybody stay safe.

We are almost certain to lose power tonight, could be a few hours or up to some days. Winds blow here every winter, its common to go over 50 in gusts, and every few years we get a whopper like they are calling for today, yesterday was no slouch. You never know with these things, it could blow up like in '62 and be a monster. I hope not.

I was a 9 year-old too in '62. We had afternoon recess outside. Girls were getting blown over in the yard! Some were flying their overcoats into the wind. I remember some of the coats blew up and away, didn't come back down. That impressed me. We got sent home early because the power went out.

Power was out for week+, first time I learned how to cook and heat with coal in a fireplace, no school. We walked the length of all the downed firs through the local forest.

Looks like this one goes right over J dock in the north basin. If the cleats stay bolted to the dock I'm good!

Marine weather forecast for south of Nanaimo predicts 50 knots out of southeast for later today and tonight. Ferry delays and cancellations in effect. Ganges Harbour will be a mess. Put out some extra lines Koliver.

Hey Tom

Thanks for your concerns. Yesterday was moving day. I took my boat from its summer moorage in Long Harbour to better shelter at the Yacht Club docks just up the Harbour. I found a spot facing into the wind and swells and am quite happy with it.

The dock I usually tie to hangs onto a 3 piling Dolphin that sways noticeably in a big swell. Its owner and former occupant, our mutual friend Jim, always moved his GB 42 or whatever he had, to the YC in much of a blow. While I was secure enough there, I don't want to be on that dock if the dolphin gives way.

While moving yesterday the swells in LH were 2 to 3 ft. The outer ends of most of the YC docks were bouncing and twisting enough that you couldn't walk out on them safely, but back 100 feet all was much calmer. Today's storm is expected to peak around 16:00 with sustained winds here of up to 50 knots. We just don't see winds like that very often. Apparently this is generated by a decaying "Super Typhoon Songda" coming in off of the southern Pacific.

There were a few of the boats there that I was concerned enough about to add a line or two, so hopefully there will be no drama whatsoever when the wind peaks.

The last time we had a Typoon of that strength, (actually more) was Oct 13, 1962. I recall it well, as I was a morning newspaper delivery kid out at 04:30 climbing over fallen trees to deliver my load of the Vancouver Province newspaper. Our house in Burnaby lost all of its south facing shingles, as did most of its neighbours. I am not expecting near that amount of drama from this storm.

I hope you have no concerns about your moorage in Sidney. What I have seen of those docks is all good, so as long as the dock keepers are alert your boat should be secure.

I was a 9 year-old too in '62. We had afternoon recess outside. Girls were getting blown over in the yard! Some were flying their overcoats into the wind. I remember some of the coats blew up and away, didn't come back down. That impressed me. We got sent home early because the power went out.

Power was out for week+, first time I learned how to cook and heat with coal in a fireplace, no school. We walked the length of all the downed firs through the local forest.

Looks like this one goes right over J dock in the north basin. If the cleats stay bolted to the dock I'm good!

I was going to Seward Elementary on Eastlake in Seattle, and we got sent home too and living on a houseboat on Lake Union often meant a lumpy ride in storms. When I got home the wind had blown our house off the dock, parted chains. It couldn't go anywhere as we were closest to the beach, but it still sort of freaked me out and I just sat down and started crying. Wont ever forget that storm. I sure hope this one doesn't blow up like that one.

I was 12 during the Columbus day storm. We lived in West Seattle and had bedrooms with West facing windows. We taped them up and didn't sleep there. I was sure they were going to break. I'm not worried about our boat. It's out of the water at Delta Marine for bottom paint. The power here in Duvall is guaranteed to go out though. One of the four roads into town has been closed since yesterday with downed trees. Everybody stay safe.

You often get high wind up where you are and it looks like you may get hit hard again. Good luck.

I am considering going down to the boat this evening. I already wrapped up the Bimini over the FB, secured the dinghy cover, and added and tightened dock lines. Not too worried about the boat as the Marina is pretty protected.

What I have seen of those docks is all good, so as long as the dock keepers are alert your boat should be secure.

Yes, talked with the boat butler this AM and lines are doubled up securely and power OK. They'll check again tomorrow morning. Bet you will have some action in front of your house this evening. Time to get the RV pointed south.

It amazes me how so many people in this area have never heard of that storm. I was 9 then living in Seattle and remember it very well. Mentioned it today to several people, nope, never heard of it. Amazing.

Wifey B: Why amazing? Most people weren't born then. That is 54 years ago. I was 17 years before birth. :D

The median age in the state of Washington is 37.3 years.

I guess because its the nastiest storm to ever hit this area, since they started keeping records.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom