Sea Sickness ? How do you avoid it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are certainly both physiological and psychological factors at play. Most clients who came on board nervous about getting sick did indeed wind up sick, it can be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Agree. Although I think there may be some genetics involved.

On a submarine, there weren't enough people to cover the duties of others if one was seasick. Sometimes days at periscope depth in the north Pacific, and they rolled like pigs.

We used to have these little orange buckets on board; a bit over a gallon, like an ice cream pail size. The Chief of the Boat (COB) would remove the metal bail, and make a rope loop instead, so that the sick could wear around their neck and carry on with their watch.

That seemed to cure quite a few people.

The best way I've found to avoid sea sickness is to always drive from the flybridge so I can't see, hear or smell those who are sea sick down below.

Whenever I start to feel a bit woozy, a Hostess Cupcake and a a cold beer (preferably a pale ale) ...
...works for me...

I can't really remember a time that I did not have some kind of boat. That said I cannot remember a time that I have not been sea sick. I could write a book on the subject. I can puke in mid sentence and not miss a word. Funny part is it does not have to be a lot of sea motion to get me there. It can be such gentle rollers and I can get sick. Big seas and I might be just fine.

Seems to get better after a good nights sleep at sea. Good thing I love it or I'd be in real trouble. I seem to take abuse from those sometimes around me about but I take it in stride. I just like to make sure what ever boat I'm on has a window without a screen in the cockpit! Use as needed!

You might try juicing ginger root and mixing it fairly strong with ginger ale. Another homeopathic fix is Hyland's Motion Sickness | Hyland's Homeopathic. You must apply it often behind the ears but it works fairly well if your not going to be out longer than 8 hours. There are several medications that can be effecitive such as meclizine, scopolamine patch, and bonine. Over the counter benadryl can also be helpful.

I get seasick. Terribly sea sick. But by knowing my triggers, I (sort of) control it.
As stated previously, its different for everyone. It is important as a Skipper, to watch your guests and know the signs:
Passengers who are suffering become quiet. Their skin goes pale. Their skin may also go clammy. If a passenger shows these signs, I try to get them on the helm and steer. Most often it works wonders.
I try not to talk about it.
I clean their glasses or sunglasses, (or better, take them off). I get rid of things like I-pads, and note books. Stop texting etc. Have them keep busy by keeping a look-out for ships on the horizon facing forwards. Don't let them go below. Cooler, fresh air is their friend. I always have medication on board. Try Sea-Bands. I wear them. They may work; or they may be a placebo. either way, your passengers will thank you for trying 'something'.
No alcohol. Dry crackers and water sips only. Plan to medicate ahead of time if it's rough. Let everyone know, that your intent is to keep them well and happy, and turning back IS an option.
My 2 cents...
Sailor John

Years ago, someone explained to me that there were basically two groups of people when it came to sea-sickness.
One group is "externally focused" and needed to be able to see/focus on the "horizon", as they needed a reference point.
The other group is "internally focused", and can't see the horizon because it reinforces the motion.
Yes, my admiral is the latter. She lies in the salon with curtains drawn and can actually read etc. while at sea. Open the curtains and seeing the waves makes her ill. And as others have stated, the issue is getting better with time aboard as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience with being underway, prevention is absolutely the key for people who know that they get sea sick. Dramamine or other anti-motion sickness pills are great, but they do not do a good job of stopping sickness once you are already sick. You need to start taking them the night before as others have suggested. Another option are scopolamine patches. I know that the doctors in the coast guard prescribe them to some of the guys on my cutter, and they seem to work pretty well. each patch lasts for a few days, and a lot of times once the patch wears off you have acclimatized to being underway and may not need to apply another patch. Maybe not as practical for day trips, but definitely good for spending extended time on board.

Chris

Yes, this is my experience also. I have ups and downs. Leaving Ireland, earlier this summer, my two nephews assured me they would be fine in spite of the fact they both had brought various remedies.

An hour into our 40 hour trip, they where both out for the count.

So it was just me until France.

I have also found that the various remedies work well as long as taken, started before you are actually sea sick. Once I get sea sick, I must sleep to reset everything to get the remedies to take effect.

Lastly, I will cut the patch in half, or take it off after 12 hours and then reapply it.

I normally yak once and am fine after that.
Same here. Just like every person reacts in their own way to the various "cures" that are available, so every person reacts in their own way to the seasickness itself. Some people are quite incapacitated by it. Others heave over the side, wipe off their chin, and get back to what they were doing. Luckily for me, I am one of the latter.

I get seasick at some point during the first day or two of almost every voyage. I am blessed in that it is rarely more than a minor annoyance.

"My belief in seasickness is mostly genetic and exposure. I think some people are predestined to motion sickness and anything may aggravate it or mitigate it.

But as Ted pointed out, for the vast majority of people, exposure to motion generally acclimates one towards motion."

Mostly genetics.
My mother used to have a beer before going out in rough weather. That worked for her.
I am very fortunate to never get seasick so I haven't had to evaluate any of the suggested remedies.
My wife, does get seasick. She finds Gravol helps, so does being the helmsperson, for her that is the best remedy. She has tried the patch and the wrist buttons, but neither worked for her.
None of our kids get seasick, neither did my Dad. My mother in law was queasy on a BC ferry.
Genetics.

I probably should ammend genetics to bio, chemical, or psychological makeup.

As many have since posted, no rhyme or reason why some seem way more affect Ted than others. It is just not environmental factors....but some will affect others more than othrts.

The power of suggestion I think is great and others have given good examples.

Some environmental factors could even be just mental, but like superstitions in general, they affect reality more than we would like to think.

I didn't get seasick until after a severe break of my ankle.
Had a drawer full of remedies that were tried, prescription
and other wise.
Finally got one that works(quite severe).
Depends on what the pill strength is (25 or 30 mg)
25 mg ephedrene and 25 mg phenergan (together)
every 12 hours as needed

If I'm already feeling sick, take the dose and lie down four 2 hours
(put someone else on the wheel, lol)

Ted

If you suck crystallised ginger slowly it will settle the stomach.
You can also help by sitting as near the centre point of the boat if possible and being able to look out at the horizon.
Fresh air helps too.
But as has been said the only sure fire cure is to sit under a tree.

Found on the way to lose the ability to balance reduces the possibility of seasickness. Perhaps one benefit of old age.

I love when peeps come aboard and declare "I never get seasick". Our last victim was a retired Navy Senior chief. We got orders to assist an 1100' container ship disabled and at anchor near the entrance to Ambrose channel. We were in Norfolk and transited the Chesapeake Bay/C and D/ Del bay. This was during TS Hermine and forecast was for 18-20' seas. Forecast kept getting reduced as we progressed and we saw 12' max. Our new assistant engineer was face down on the galley table and had to be reminded that seasickness was not an exemption for engine room rounds.

I did a delivery a couple of years ago on a 36 Bertram from cape fear river to Vero Beach, Fl. We came out of the Cape fear river and I puked over the rail, first time in 30 plus years. Luckily the owner wasn't fast enough with his phone camera, but we got a good laugh. He didn't get sick.

My antidote

I was introduced to elasticized wrist bands with beads threaded onto the bands which were placed above the wrist where one would check for a pulse, beads facing on the inside. Unsure if these are uncommon but having used them on the outside of the Charlottes for several days I am a convert and keep a pair in my tackle box. Beats pills that make you sleepy and drinking Coke to stay awake.

I was introduced to elasticized wrist bands with beads threaded onto the bands which were placed above the wrist where one would check for a pulse, beads facing on the inside. Unsure if these are uncommon but having used them on the outside of the Charlottes for several days I am a convert and keep a pair in my tackle box. Beats pills that make you sleepy and drinking Coke to stay awake.

They are call Sea Bands. Follow the instructions in the box and put them on both wrists before leaving port.
I took a sailboat from Portland to LA. We were in 35 knot following seas all the way down to San Francisco. Without the Sea Bands I would have been one sick puppy.
Did not take any motion sickness pills. The Sea Bands stayed on me 24/7.

Here's my seasickness cure.
One for each of us.

Attachments

• Aft deck.jpg
    Aft deck.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 49
Lots of interesting theories so far. In the end mostly anecdotal, as there is almost as many theories as people. However, as a medico I have studied this quite a bit and there does seen to be a genetic predisposition to some extent. My father never got seasick, no matter what, when even I would sometimes feel a bit sleepy, which is the closest I ever get, when we were at anchor for him to fish, and the swell was large. His mother, my grandmother, was once given a special citation and a gift in appreciation after a cruise ship she came back to NZ from the UK on ran into such nasty weather most of the service personnel and crew were debilitated by seasickness, and she rolled up her sleeves and helped out, serving meals to folk in their cabins, and tending to them like a crew member.

Personally, for most, the best advice appears to be, as some have said, pre-load with a calmative like Dramamine or Travacalm or similar, repeated at intervals if necessary, rather than wait to see, and...perhaps more importantly...to try and not fight the movement by continually balancing against the movement, but to try and become one with the vessel, so ones muscles are not in continual motion fighting the movement, as that's the thing that really sets folk off in the end. Hence why the natural and sensible response to seasickness is to go and lie down. Moving with the boat can be helped also by wedging oneself into a seat, preferably in a corner somewhere, and going with the flow, as it were. If you do that, it does not make any difference looking at the sea, the horizon, or a book, for that matter. You will normally be ok. This is why taking the helm is often helpful, because one tends to do exactly that. You wedge oneself into a set position, then go with the boat's movement - that and because you are concentrating so much on steering, you forget to fight the motion.

I can understand sea sickness caused by mixed messages to your senory organs and medications, accupressure etc to try to deal with it. What always baffled me during my time in the Navy where those who got sick before we got underway. The word would be passed "Set the special sea detail, make all preparations for heavy weather" and there would be a line up at sick bay to get APC's ( placebo's) and instructions to go to the galley and get a soup can to tie around your neck to avoid accidents. Because if you barfed no matter how sick you where you cleaned up the mess.
Worst duty for getting queasy, the old DEW line extension. My first ship an old destroyer fitted out with a huge radar, take station off Newfoundland in the Winter, make 5 knots in a 50 mile circle for 30 days. That cured me for the next 22 years.

Although it's been over 25 years since I've 'fed the fish' my back up has always been 1/2 a Dramamine pill taken before I get off watch, so I can lay down and get a good nap. This lasts me 12 hours. So when I wake up for watch I am rested, and feel fine.

Trial and error; I tried it when I wake up, on the other end of the rest schedule but I am too drowsy to stand watch.

If I followed directions taking 2 pills every 12 hours I would be a zombie.

Making sure to be ON Dramamine prior to rough weather was key also. If it's already rough with no medicine it's too late.

I have seen others use the wrist bands and scopolamine with good result also.

Also, Drinking a glass of milk helped me. Seems milk coats the stomach. Not sure if this is just my way to have a 'mental cure'. Maybe a placebo effect?

Back
Top Bottom