Boat capsized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Another reminder of the danger in overloading your boat, especially a flybridge.

There are reports of 30 people aboard a 34 foot cruiser at the San Francisco air show. It rolled over and sank within minutes. Very few if any lifejackets being worn. Luckily, no one died.

Here's a video of the ensuing chaos.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

This type of thing happens way too often. I think some boat owners simply get complacent.

But, 30 people on a 34 foot Silverton? I won't say what I'm thinking, however, it doesn't have much to do with complacency.

But, 30 people on a 34 foot Silverton? I won't say what I'm thinking, however, it doesn't have much to do with complacency.

Yeah, poor choice of words. I think what happens is that they are so used to their boat being a stable platform that they forget that it really is a boat that, given the right circumstances, can capsize. It wasn't so much that they thought that the boat would be fine with 30 on the FB, but that they didn't even consider it at all.

The lack of PFDs for everyone on board is entirely another matter altogether. :mad:

Yeah, poor choice of words. I think what happens is that they are so used to their boat being a stable platform that they forget that it really is a boat that, given the right circumstances, can capsize. It wasn't so much that they thought that the boat would be fine with 30 on the FB, but that they even consider it at all.

The lack of PFDs for everyone on board is entirely another matter altogether. :mad:

Luckily, there were a zillion boats within PFD-throwing distance.

The fallout of this story will be one to watch as the reports are generated and fines levied. Stay tuned...

Edit: Thank goodness the four-year-old boy is ok.

Can't fix stupid!

Ted

I want to know if our insurance rates all go up now...
Does an insurance company have to pay on this?
Amazing!
Bruce

Bet you dollars to donuts the boat's owner/skipper didn't have 30 PFDs aboard. ... He has too many friends/acquaintances which he invited aboard. ... Curious about the skipper's previous boating experience. ... His judgment is criminal. ... Another strike against flybridges.

Bet you dollars to donuts the boat's owner/skipper didn't have 30 PFDs aboard. ... He has too many friends/acquaintances which he invited aboard. ... Curious about the skipper's previous boating experience. ... His judgment is criminal. ... Another strike against flybridges.

If the boat was steel it would have been on the bottom of the ocean in seconds another strike against steel boats ;)

Sorry, Gaston, but your comment is way out of line. This incident is a strike against stupidity. When someone is stupid enough to grossly overload a boat and change the center of gravity well beyond what the boat was ever designed to handle, this incident is what can result.

This looks like a story of an east coast sinking, not the capsized boat in SF Bay at the Saturday 10/8/16 Fleet Week SF Airshow. I did see another article that mentioned a 34 Silverton was involved in the SF Bay incident.

Both boats overloaded up high, capsized and sunk at inshore events. Both boats happen to be mid 80s silverton 34's.

Sorry, Gaston, but your comment is way out of line. This incident is a strike against stupidity. When someone is stupid enough to grossly overload a boat and change the center of gravity well beyond what the boat was ever designed to handle, this incident is what can result.

Whoaaah....not really....

Flybridge aren't the probkem...lack of sea sense is....as you pointed out.

Mark made a backhanded comment about flying bridges and Gaston responded in kind..

Last edited:
Indeed, markpierce invited that.
It happened here, years ago an overloaded cruiser capsized in the harbour, children below drowned, the grandchildren of a Court interpreter I knew, an absolute gentleman. Truly awful, unnecessary, avoidable, I still remember sending him a sympathy card.
I wish people would learn, but human stupidity being what it is, not everyone can or will.

If anyone is interested, Seahorse Marine now offers a flybridge option for $11,500 on its Coot model.

Sad thing is that the operator will get little more than a slap on the wrist, at least no penalty that in my mind is appropriate for the reckless disregard of human lives. Accidents are one thing and I feel bad for anyone in one, even if it's their fault. But this was just insanity.

We were cruising nearby to the boat, and arrive after first responder so we keep our distance.. very, very reckless onwer,, a child almost died.. bay was very cold (well.. like always..) a somber remembering about precautions on the water...

Sad thing is that the operator will get little more than a slap on the wrist, at least no penalty that in my mind is appropriate for the reckless disregard of human lives. Accidents are one thing and I feel bad for anyone in one, even if it's their fault. But this was just insanity.

I guess we'll see how understanding the operator's passengers are. Perhaps his penalty will come from the local Civil Court.

Like in another thread, I hope he read the fine print of his insurance policy.

The parents of the child may not be very understanding. Without knowing all the facts it seems a serious offense calling for a substantial penalty,the child`s survival sounds more good fortune rather than good management.

Bruce,

The first public report was of a child found inside the cabin and unresponsive. CPR was immediately started by bystanders and continued by rescue personnel all the way to the hospital.

I was thrilled to hear the young boy was released from the hospital yesterday :thumb:!

So now this whole mess has turned into pure intertainment....but still a lesson for folks that think a checkbook makes a captain.

Thanks Ray,the boy`s recovery is wonderful news, all credit to those who helped.
We can hope publicity and penalty help prevent it happening again, perhaps to a child who may be less fortunate than the boy in this event.

It never ends. Why do the smaller boat owners overload so willingly? I have a 42 and it sleeps 4, drinks 6 period. I would never have 27 on my boat.

Very glad to see the response which always proves how eager to help the boating community is, and that everybody is safe and well. Now it remains to be seen if the skipper learned anything.

While we see outrage here, I'm not even sure how much we'll see from the general public. I would hope a lot from the families but they need to share some blame too. Yes, the captain is in charge, the owner should know, but as a parent, you'd think even the least boating knowledgeable would have at some point questioned things. Still, a little comparison for you to consider.

It seems we often, much as in sports, equate the penalty to the results, not the action. Simple situation, murder much worse than attempted murder.

So, now which of these do you consider the worst action.

Number one-Mother normally takes child to day care, but today the father is doing so as she's sick. He puts the child in the seat safely in the back. He starts the drive. Traffic is horrible. The day care is for the first 10 miles the same road as his work. Thirty minutes later he arrives at work, running late, grabs his briefcase and runs in. Not until his wife calls to ask if he had any trouble at day care does he know what he's done. He runs to the car but too late, calls 911 but too late.

Or number two-

2-A. A boat owner takes 13 adults and 14 kids on a 34' Silverton. Frigid water. Life jackets not worn. 3 kids are killed. Based on my interpretation of Australian rules this boat was maxed for 13 people, no more than 3 on the bridge.

2-B. A boat owner takes 27 adults and 3 kids on a 34' Silverton. Frigid water. Life jackets not worn. All are rescued from the water although at least one kid comes very close to being killed. Based on my interpretation of Australian rules this boat was maxed for 13 people, no more than 3 on the bridge.

Who do you think committed the most serious offense? Who will be penalized and suffer most?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom