Help! Hurricane Matthew damage and need haul out in Savannah, Ga area ASAP 50 tons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Boat can be moved under its own power but has to be moved from marina in Beaufort, SC in couple of weeks at most due to being forced to leave marina. Who to call that can handle 92,000 lb. and 17' 6" beam ?

Thanks

ther is a yard in hiltion head also

If you are thinking of Palmetto Bay Marina on Broad Creek it would be a good idea to check with them. I understand they suffered severe damage from Matthew.

Greetings,
Also the Hinckly (sp?) yard in Thunderbolt, GA although damage there as well, I hear.

I got an email from Hinkley in Savannah. They expect to be fully operational by the end of the week.

If you are thinking of Palmetto Bay Marina on Broad Creek it would be a good idea to check with them. I understand they suffered severe damage from Matthew.
Palmetto marina on HHI is gone....their travel lift is probably still operational but floating debris is a big problem for now.

I'm thinking maybe in the other direction ..to Ross Marine on Johns Island south of Charleston....any experience with Ross ?

Last edited:
I had a great experience with Ross, very organized, provided an engine mechanic to help me as soon as I requested due to my imminent departure.

Seemed like a well oiled machine and has a pretty good reputation so I picked there to haul and store my boat for 2 months a few winters back.

Still get emails from them for specials and events.....seem a nice combo of old school, but with the times.

I saw on the Internet where Thunderbolt had extensive damage.

Ross Marine is a good reputable repair yard.

Why are you being forced to leave your marina?

Why are you being forced to leave your marina?
Officially it is because after the hurricane the owner is worried my boat is just too big for their docks. Actually he was worried about that before the hurricane but now he knows for sure it is, as even 30 foot sailboats put quite a strain on the docks.

The cleats and bolts on my little 30 foot home dock float are more substantial than their cleats, for example.

But unoffically, I am paying for 65' but taking up the space they could in theory place two 40 footers.... at transient rates to boot.... and they are now "under pressure" to accept boats from the hurricane destroyed nearby Dataw Marina as well.

======================

Btw, the photo in my avatar is not at Lady's Island Marina but the much more substantial private docks where I bought the boat in Naples, FL

Last edited:
A friend of mine is moving his boat from Dataw Marina to Ladies Island Marina. I think it's about a 40' trawler.

He managed to get it hauled out before the storm hit so it's OK.

We used to stop at Dataw on our cruises so I hope they manage to get it back in operation. It's a nice place (or was).

A friend of mine is moving his boat from Dataw Marina to Ladies Island Marina. I think it's about a 40' trawler.

He managed to get it hauled out before the storm hit so it's OK.

We used to stop at Dataw on our cruises so I hope they manage to get it back in operation. It's a nice place (or was).
Is your friend in the marine canvas work business ? If so, I know him. If it is him, he also has a Pacific Seacraft sailboat that did not get hauled out and was found either in marsh or on land after the event.

I heard the travelift haulout pier is still there so I presume they can still do yard work but the marina itself is completely gone except for concrete pilings and perhaps the dockmaster building and restaurant are ok...not sure on those.

Nope. He lives in North Carolina. I think he is an engineer or chemist or something with a big company. He has a Nordic Tug.

Ross marine is a work yard only, they have docks for temporary stays but not full time slips or transients.

FWIW, the boat as of Wednesday (10/26/16) is floating at the Ross Marine docks, ready for haul out whenever they fit it in to their schedule. The trip from Beaufort, SC to Johns Island via the ICW was very nice...weather was perfect. Running against the tide most of the way however....with the tide, at 1200 rpm we were going 12 knots but against sometimes had to go to 1400 rpm just to go 7 or 8 knots. So we probably averaged about 8 knots. This with recent cleaned bottom and running gear. Still, leaving at 7:15 we arrived earlier than I expected, just after lunch at 13:00.

Rental car folks (Enterprise) went way up on rate from the week before when I called, so I said screw it and had son drive up from Beaufort and pick us up. Even taking our time tidying boat up and gathering this 'n that off it, we were back home by 16:00.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom