Hurricane Matthew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, is it tidal where you are discussing?

My experience is stuff sloshes back and forth as the high tides dislodge it from its first wash up and the clocking winds blow it back into the current.

Usually on most smaller rivers and coastal creeks, after a dozen or so cycles with some strong clocking winds or one particular high tide and the larger debris drop off dramaticalky.

But some long rivers always take a bit longer...depending on how quickly they drop in volume.

Yes, it's tidal but it's also slow moving. The St John's River has a lot of smaller rivers and large drainage areas feeding it. The total fall from Stanford to it's mouth, about 200 miles, is ~30'. No wonder they call it the lazy river.

I can understand why Alligator/Pungo Canal is closed (falling trees and debris dislodged from flooding), but ALL of Bouge Sound? Wow!

Lost power for 3 days....as expected.

Also had three trees fall over the road with the single access to our property and 8 others. A couple of the trees took down power lines. The road was cleared late the next day.

The St Johns rose about a foot over the plankings of our dock. I figure the total river rise was about 4 ft over normal high tide, some due to rain levels and some due to storm surge. The boat and kayaks escaped without issue. Today, the river is still above normal but down about 2 feet.

While the power was out we took an escape vacation to Steinhatchee only to find Hermine had flooded it a month or so earlier. The restaurant we ate at had markings where the water had risen 2 ft above the floor. We had to stay in a second floor motel room since the first floor units had been largely demolished. I kind of wonder if the town will survive but we enjoyed the stay, even if nothing was open for breakfast.

I imagine Apalachicola and Carrabelle had a similar experience.

Wondering about the advisability of getting a 20KW genny for the land home but I suspect it will another 12 years before northeast Florida has a similar event.

Oh yeah, we have been working 3 days removing yard debris and still plenty to go. Why didn't I buy a house on a smaller lot??? Duh....

Also, we saw 6 of the 10 USCG vessels we saw heading south, returning north on Saturday. I suspect the last 4 were headed north on Sunday after we took off to West FL.

I imagine Apalachicola and Carrabelle had a similar experience.

Nope. Neither of them touched by Hermine. Max winds about 35 MPH and no storm surge to speak of (nothing worse than an ordinary high tide)

This info comes from a friend who lives in Carrabelle, so I cannot personally vouch for it. But I have no reason to think he would say it if it were not true. :)

I can understand why Alligator/Pungo Canal is closed (falling trees and debris dislodged from flooding), but ALL of Bouge Sound? Wow!

I think Bogue Sound may be open now. If I'm reading it correctly, it's showing open on the CG site as are basically all NC ports. It shows that happening today. Now, there were also rumors the AICW was closed for a long distance and I don't remember between what points. However, that was wrong and circulated simply because it was closed to boats over 500 tons.

Back
Top Bottom