Californian 45 packing size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkinter

Veteran Member
I need to find out what size packing material is used on a 2" shaft in a 1990 Californian 45. My nuts are bottomed out and if I have the correct packing available I can add some without pulling the boat.

Did you ever find the answer to your question. I have the same setup and need to replace my packing. Thanks.
Mitchell

On our 48 with a 2" shaft it is 5/16". This is no guarantee that yours will be the same.

I'm finding that 1/4" is most common, but other sizes could have been used as well, as noted here.
In my situation my packing nuts are bottomed out. Rather that haul the boat and do a complete repack, I'm going to back the nuts off and add some more packing, quickly.
I'm going to buy three different sizes and pre-cut each to fit.

I've changed the packing out with the boat in the water several times. Just cut your packing to the proper size first and have your picks ready. Water flow is minimal.

Thanks for the encouragement!
I think I'll give it a try. In an earlier life I wouldn't have hesitated to do the whole packing job properly. Age and a record of near misses has me a little more diligent.

My pervious boat was an Albin with a 2" shaft. The packing on it was 5/16 and I changed it in the water. I precut the packing and wrapped an old bicycle tube around the opening as a precaution. There wasn't much water and i probably didn't need the bicycle tube. I would appreciate if you would post the size packing you wind up using.
Thanks,
Mitchell

I'll let you know. It seems that 5/16 is the most common, followed by 1/4.

Packing size

First, thanks to all who offered suggestions and support. It all helped.

I did the job in the water. First I had to disassemble one and measure, reassemble and run to the store.
My boat with a 2" shaft uses 3/8 packing. The WM store had a chart of packing sizes they've encountered and the 2" shafts generally take 3/8 or 1/2.
I pre-cut the packing to save time. The worst part of the job was picking the old packing out of the nut while the water was running.
I got both sides done in pretty short order and all is good. Perhaps 1 drip per minute. I can live with that. After I run them in and re-tighten them it should be a job well done.
As a side note, the bilge pump cycled 14 times during all this. Not too bad.:dance:

More info

I incorrectly stated that the nuts had bottomed out. That's wrong. They can't.
The packing is inside the nut and is compressed by the face of the male end of the stuffing box. The old packing was simply worn out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom