American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce will bean me for this, but I can't help myself. This week we said good-bye to our current boat, a Sabre 386. I always have a difficult time 'moving on', whether it's a car, a boat or a house, but this one was especially tough since we're not just moving to another boat, but from sail to power. I will love the new boat. We have great times ahead of us, new adventures, new places, new experiences. I will recover, but I'm going to miss this boat, and most of all I will miss sailing.

[Edit to add that I was posting this while Bruce was, apparently, posting the previous post.]

Attachments

• A7U1327.JPG
    A7U1327.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Progress is slow these days. I believe they are scurrying to get a couple of boats ready for launching and that the crew is mostly allocated to that task...
There has been progress though. These are stringers getting laminated into our hull.
Bruce

Bruce are those stringers wood? Douglas Fir I suspect if they are.

Bruce are those stringers wood? Douglas Fir I suspect if they are.

I don't believe they are wood. I remember asking and all I remember is that the stringer core changes throughout the boat depending on what is on top of them. In the engine compartment I think they use a high density composit but I can't remember what they use elsewhere.
I'll ask and report back next week.
Bruce

Bruce will bean me for this, but I can't help myself. This week we said good-bye to our current boat, a Sabre 386. I always have a difficult time 'moving on', whether it's a car, a boat or a house, but this one was especially tough since we're not just moving to another boat, but from sail to power. I will love the new boat. We have great times ahead of us, new adventures, new places, new experiences. I will recover, but I'm going to miss this boat, and most of all I will miss sailing.

[Edit to add that I was posting this while Bruce was, apparently, posting the previous post.]

Wifey B: I think moving on has all the emotions from sadness to excitement and exhilaration. Our lives after changes are incredible but that doesn't mean they weren't very very good before. I think part of living life to it's fullest is always having fresh and new things in our lives, always moving forward, not just staying exactly the same. There's that sense of adventure. It may not always seem spectacular, but it's adding something more to all that has come before.

A forward cabin sole and some bulkheads are taking shape...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
Wifey B: I think moving on has all the emotions from sadness to excitement and exhilaration. Our lives after changes are incredible but that doesn't mean they weren't very very good before. I think part of living life to it's fullest is always having fresh and new things in our lives, always moving forward, not just staying exactly the same. There's that sense of adventure. It may not always seem spectacular, but it's adding something more to all that has come before.

Dorsey understands this. We have certainly been here before with boats.
I like to remind her that with each boat that enters our life she makes "an announcement", it is typically along the lines of, "while I understand why we are making the switch, the 'new boat' will never be a replacement for the 'old boat'...".
She then proceeds to bond with the 'new boat' and complains when we (I) decide that it is time to move on.

As she says, she will love the American Tug. What is different this time is that we are moving from sailing. This has her "edgy"...

We are both excited about the new adventures the tug will allow us. It will be a blast!

Bruce

A new baby is born the part and parts ... ask them to shoot as far as possible, all of which will be left behind structures, such as pipes, electricity ect. Later, they can be of great use to you or to the next owner. I was glad when the Nordic Tug was photographed in the process to build a boat. I can look at the technical details, I've found the images more storage opportunities that I did not know.

When he will be ready for you?

A new baby is born the part and parts ... ask them to shoot as far as possible, all of which will be left behind structures, such as pipes, electricity ect. Later, they can be of great use to you or to the next owner. I was glad when the Nordic Tug was photographed in the process to build a boat. I can look at the technical details, I've found the images more storage opportunities that I did not know.

When he will be ready for you?

Last I heard, it should be finished in March and ready for delivery in April. We will see how close they get to that target in the end.

We've had numerous conversations with Tomco about our desire to record the boats construction with photos. They promise that there will be plenty. We had the same goal for our last boat 11 years ago and there are times when those pictures have been very helpful in trying to determine the way something was put together..
Not to mention the fun in seeing it all come together!
Thanks,
Bruce

More progress...
This is beginning to feel real!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 124
More progress...
This is beginning to feel real!
Bruce

Wifey B: The dudes in the photo sort of puts it in perspective, especially the one standing. They look like mini-men running around in there. :)

Reminds me of trying to do the simplified tonnage calculation. You never think about how deep the boat is normally. Everyone knows length and beam, but how many know the depth?

Wifey B: The dudes in the photo sort of puts it in perspective, especially the one standing. They look like mini-men running around in there. :)

Reminds me of trying to do the simplified tonnage calculation. You never think about how deep the boat is normally. Everyone knows length and beam, but how many know the depth?

I never seem to be able to correctly assess a space before it is finished. I remember seeing our home staked out on the site and thinking that it was way too small. I thought that there wouldn't be enough space for furniture in some rooms. It all can be quite deceptive.
Bruce

Aaaaand....we have a hull!
Bruce

Attachments

• Popping Hull 5.jpg
    Popping Hull 5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 120
Ooooooo I like the color!

We've done the dark hull thing before...beautiful in Awlgrip but expensive and HOT! We didn't think this design would look great in white and we each promised the other that we'd not have a dark hull again.
First saw this color on a Shelter Island runabout and knew we'd have it on a boat someday...
Someday is here!
Thanks,
Bruce

Coming out of the mold...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 111
Oh man this gonna be nice . Love the color:thumb:

Bruce, Looking great. White bilge?? Brown should be standard color. Most I've seen were brown. White looks AWESOME. Seeing your feet kicked up and perusing the pictures is a chuckle for me. As the silent master watching his minions at work. Cool beans. Love the hull color too.
Dave

I like it a lot. This is going to be great!
We've wandered the streets down near the factory and spent some time drooling on the sidewalk.
I would love to see her when she's done.

leeman

Bruce, Looking great. White bilge?? Brown should be standard color. Most I've seen were brown. White looks AWESOME. Seeing your feet kicked up and perusing the pictures is a chuckle for me. As the silent master watching his minions at work. Cool beans. Love the hull color too.
Dave

That image you painted of me, feet in the air is hilarious...
It's funny what a different perspective can show you.
White bilge is awesome!
Many thanks,
Bruce

I like it a lot. This is going to be great!
We've wandered the streets down near the factory and spent some time drooling on the sidewalk.
I would love to see her when she's done.

leeman

You will have to stop by in April when she is finished then!
Just keep an eye on progress here, you will know when.
Bruce

We've done the dark hull thing before...beautiful in Awlgrip but expensive and HOT! We didn't think this design would look great in white and we each promised the other that we'd not have a dark hull again.
First saw this color on a Shelter Island runabout and knew we'd have it on a boat someday...
Someday is here!
Thanks,
Bruce

Dark hulls are always tempting but reality hits and you realize there are things more important than a pretty color to look at. I love the look of nice bright deep Navy but would never build one. Plus boating is fun, that's light. I think many interiors are too dark. Nice for law offices but don't make you feel like you're on vacation.

Dark hulls are always tempting but reality hits and you realize there are things more important than a pretty color to look at. I love the look of nice bright deep Navy but would never build one. Plus boating is fun, that's light. I think many interiors are too dark. Nice for law offices but don't make you feel like you're on vacation.

This boat will have a fairly dark Sapele interior...we discussed trying to lighten it up but in the end, we chose to simply go with what they offered. We will use color to try and make it pop...that and I will likely begin varnishing (gloss, thank you very much!) trim once we get the boat home. Good gloss varnish makes everything look better.
Bruce

This boat will have a fairly dark Sapele interior...we discussed trying to lighten it up but in the end, we chose to simply go with what they offered. We will use color to try and make it pop...that and I will likely begin varnishing (gloss, thank you very much!) trim once we get the boat home. Good gloss varnish makes everything look better.
Bruce

You can do a lot to lighten one up. Plus light from outside is the great daytime equalizer.

You will have to stop by in April when she is finished then!
Just keep an eye on progress here, you will know when.
Bruce

I will do my best to be in La Conner in April.
Got married there you know.

Thanks
leeman

I will do my best to be in La Conner in April.
Got married there you know.

Thanks
leeman

We've never been there. Not yet anyway...
We will take delivery at the factory for a shakedown cruise. Can't wait!
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom