Weather...to go or not to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With boats already gone for the winter many marinas in the north probably have space.
In FL I have found that if people dont leave as expected because of storm forecast my next stop marina may not have space.

The captain of the Bounty was one of those go for it guys who would have been better to stay in bed.

Comparing this trip to the Bounty episode? :lol:

only in the sense that cautions boaters were told to stay in bed. IMO the Bounty skipper made a very poor decision to be bold. He too thought he knew where the storm was going. Hurricanes are notorious for not following expected path.

Each must decide for themselves and dont think we should be disparaging caution.

In FL when weather gets threatening boats tend to stay where they are so that reservation for the next marina may not be available.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I booked the marina even before I got the boat! I didn't want to be stuck during the boat show learning how to anchor or moore.

Psneeld- we decided to go east given the variety places to anchor. With the ENE wind, the west side of the bay would have been really bad. We have gone up the bay with our center console and fished the restricted area by Chesapeake beach before (police came by and told us about it!). Also experienced rough waters by Pax River while we were being towed by Boat US for a blown outdrive....not fun! It was nice this go round, however to not be in a rush and enjoy the ride!

only in the sense that cautions boaters were told to stay in bed. IMO the Bounty skipper made a very poor decision to be bold. He too thought he knew where the storm was going. Hurricanes are notorious for not following expected path.

Each must decide for themselves and dont think we should be disparaging caution.

In FL when weather gets threatening boats tend to stay where they are so that reservation for the next marina may not be available.
True...but my suggestion was only after the forecasts were dramatically changing for the better, all the models agreed, and there was still plenty of time to get there, discover no room at the in and get home.

I have plenty of caution in my recommdndations.....I just weight the risks and have a few backups.

My main point usually is when deciding to cruise.....for some of us....better repair faci.it is and safe havens are along the way...not necessarily at home base. So getting started without everything being perfect may actually be lessening risk versus increasing it.

Studying the situation closely is ke. Also having local knowledge and looking at the storm from up here is totally different than the advice from people 800 miles away with possibly very limited local knowledge. Not necessarily smarter advice, just easier to justify as long as it was sound.

Fortunately, I booked the marina even before I got the boat! I didn't want to be stuck during the boat show learning how to anchor or moore.

Psneeld- we decided to go east given the variety places to anchor. With the ENE wind, the west side of the bay would have been really bad. We have gone up the bay with our center console and fished the restricted area by Chesapeake beach before (police came by and told us about it!). Also experienced rough waters by Pax River while we were being towed by Boat US for a blown outdrive....not fun! It was nice this go round, however to not be in a rush and enjoy the ride!
Great!

Just thought I would mention the restricted area as so many of my friends have cruised through it and never knew, plus someone else may have brought it up in another thread just recdntly.

Back
Top Bottom