Hurricane Matthew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lot of damage in Green cove Springs marina. 8 boats drag the ball. One of them sunk at the peer. Floating docks damages. They said that I got lucky - just little scratch. Luck maybe the factor, but i had 3 lines attach from my boat to the peer.

Lot of damage in Green cove Springs marina. 8 boats drag the ball. One of them sunk at the peer. Floating docks damages. They said that I got lucky - just little scratch. Luck maybe the factor, but i had 3 lines attach from my boat to the peer.
Glad you prevailed!

He's just arriving here in Ocracoke. I don't expect much here. Nice to have a break this go.

Just got back from adding a couple more lines to the boat. Track has been drifting North all day and now have Gale warnings tonight through Sunday night. Nothing like working on dock lines during a downpour. Probably unnecessary; better safe than sorry.

Ted

Yes here in Silver Lake. All is well so far.

The cottage we rented, like Hobo came out pretty much unscathed. Yahoo! The grounds and the surrounding homes didn't fair so well. They got nailed on the back side of the front when the wind came from the west.

Man, that's good news, Larry. Don't mind sayin, yours was the situation I was most concerned about. I figured you'd have that barge to contend with for sure. Great news.:thumb::thumb:

The owners of the Krogen 39 in a slip down in the Bahamas also got news that their boat came through unscathed. Hard to believe since they were within 10 miles of the eye. The only injury I know of was one owner in Daytona Beach who fell in a Walmart parking lot while evacuating. He spent 11 hours on the road and never got out of FL, spending the night in a highway rest stop with a bunch of other exhausted evacuees.

It's always difficult comparing storms. Matthew never reached the catastrophic levels feared most as it never hit land at a level beyond a CAT 1 or tropical storm level. Even the surge didn't wipe out major areas and the loss of lives is very modest in the US even with some padding of numbers with deaths not necessarily "hurricane" caused, but just happened during the storm. However, the damage is going to ultimately be quite high, simply because of the size of the area impacted as it's from South Florida through NC. Areas of coast to be rebuilt, flooding damages, a lot of store front here and sign here. Things will be back to "almost normal" very quickly, but all the damage won't be repaired for quite a while. People not impacted to the high degree they might have been but a larger number of people impacted in smaller ways.

A glimpse into the future last summer about the time of Joaquin.

We were in Charlotte, NC and our boat in Myrtle Beach as the storms, not related to the hurricane, caused huge flooding. Columbia, SC was badly hit. Much of southeastern NC and coastal SC was flooded. We were rather shocked by some areas, such as the fact that I-95 was closed and many areas along it flooded. When the roads opened, we drove back to Myrtle Beach. We casually remarked as to if this type storm caused this, what if it had been Joaquin or another hurricane.

Well, now we know, unfortunately. NC appears to have more damage than any other hit area, most of it from flooding. More damage than one would have expected from a CAT 1 hurricane, and most of it is not from surge but from flooding just from the quantity of rain. Fayetteville is hit hard and they're 90 miles up the Cape Fear from Wilmington. They received 14.9 inches of rainfall in a 24 hour period.

Greetings from Ocracoke. Winds at 4:00 were 65 gusting over 80. Things are better today at 40mph. At least the rain is all but gone. It would be nice to have shore power but we're not complaining.

ForumRunner_20161009_113605.jpg

ForumRunner_20161009_113621.jpg

Wow. That's some serious wind. Were you on a mooring ball? Did you also put out an anchor? Was it protected or choppy water?

Just trying to learn what to do in such an event since I have only anchored in about 25-30 overnight, and that freaked me out. I anchored out in the Mississippi sound one night and got the wind forecast wrong. I was completely unprotected most of the night and it pushed me too close to shallows. Had breaking waves.

We are at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake VA. Matthew arrived late yesterday afternoon.

Survived a wild night of wind and torrential rain. Adjusted fenders twice during the night due to line stretch and boat moving forward/aft. Dock is under water this AM. Rain has finally stopped. Still windy. Shore power is working just fine as is the dock wifi. All is well?

Wild winds on the Chesapeake today. Rappahannock Light had north winds 50 knots gusting to 58 an hour ago. Good day to stay hunkered down.

Ted

My Mainship 390 came thru unscathed at Fort McAllister Marina south of Savannah but there is evidence the boat was really tossed around. One guy told me it was pitching so much he could see my running gear.
Lots of damage and a sunk Sea Ray. Fixed dock used to be straight, but now has a large S shape. Large oaks knocked over in my yard down the street. When the storm passed we had 90 mph winds from the west that did most of the damage.
Been here 30 years, never had a hit like Matthew.

We had 43 knots gusting to 52 knots on Delaware Bay today. Pretty wild rides on the CMLF.

Greetings from Ocracoke. Winds at 4:00 were 65 gusting over 80. Things are better today at 40mph. At least the rain is all but gone. It would be nice to have shore power but we're not complaining.

Well Mark: just another notch in the ole belt for you. Looks like NC got the worst but at least the models don't have it circling back here again. Good riddance, Matthew!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pluto!

We're just across the marsh at coffee bluff. I was worried about you guys, we saw them reporting from fish tails on the news and it looked bad. We came close to the top of the pilings but we were otherwise well protected by the bluff to the north.

No shore power yet but they are working hard here in the neighborhood. Huge props to the linemen out there

Unfortunately this boat won't be seeing a future I fear. This was behind my sister's house near Southport, NC. That is the middle of a marsh that won't see water again until the next hurricane.

ForumRunner_20161009_220205.jpg

I rode it out here just inland from the N end of Wrightsville beach. Front side of storm, no big deal. Sea came up about 4-5', typical stuff. Wind pretty fresh out of the E to SE. Docks and boats doing fine. Maybe 40kts.

So in the lull, or eye remnant, we go to a bud's house and drink some beers and eat some grub. Come back to the dock, tide has dropped a bit, winds light, all's well.

Wake up and all hell is breaking loose. The backside of this thing was a biatch. Way more wind than the front side. If front side was 40kts, back side was 80kts. That's where stuff got tore up.

Can't complain too much, 80kts is really nothing in storm terms.

47 tons of ground up salad to clean up. That is the worst of it, and not complaining.

Old Kubota logged 36hrs and did not miss a beat. Neighbors came over to cook and wash, that resulted in some very good eating on my part.

Daddyo: I would expect the boat you are showing in the pic. to be back in the water within a week or two. If not, let me know and I will snatch her out. Probably not much damage and an easy salvage.

I agree. Remove the running gear and get a tug to pull her out. Probably won't even need plastic to pull her bottom over.

I rode it out here just inland from the N end of Wrightsville beach. Front side of storm, no big deal. Sea came up about 4-5', typical stuff. Wind pretty fresh out of the E to SE. Docks and boats doing fine. Maybe 40kts.

So in the lull, or eye remnant, we go to a bud's house and drink some beers and eat some grub. Come back to the dock, tide has dropped a bit, winds light, all's well.

Wake up and all hell is breaking loose. The backside of this thing was a biatch. Way more wind than the front side. If front side was 40kts, back side was 80kts. That's where stuff got tore up.

Can't complain too much, 80kts is really nothing in storm terms.

47 tons of ground up salad to clean up. That is the worst of it, and not complaining.

Old Kubota logged 36hrs and did not miss a beat. Neighbors came over to cook and wash, that resulted in some very good eating on my part.

The backside got us just off of Middle Sound Loop by knocking down a good size oak in our front yard around 9 pm last night. Not complaining about that and the yard salad I still have to clean up.
But didn't like having to go out in the 80kts to shut off the water fountain I had coming from the main supply to the house that the tree's root system pulled up.
However, I was relieved when I saw that the boat was afloat and still in it's slip, as now I only have to deal with the home stuff.

The backside got us just off of Middle Sound Loop by knocking down a good size oak in our front yard around 9 pm last night. Not complaining about that and the yard salad I still have to clean up.
But didn't like having to go out in the 80kts to shut off the water fountain I had coming from the main supply to the house that the tree's root system pulled up.
However, I was relieved when I saw that the boat was afloat and still in it's slip, as now I only have to deal with the home stuff.

We have friends near Wilmington and talked to them tonight. Much as you experienced. A lot of things to be picked up in the yards and trash carried by the flooding but safe and no damage to their home.

FOG, "Yard Salad" perfect description. I know exactly what you mean.

If you have a neighbor close enough, run a garden hose to his house, pick up a double female swivel at the hardware store, attach the other end of the hose to your house and back feed the water into your system until you can get the broken pipe fixed. Don't forget to shut off the broken pipe at the house end.

It's nice to be able to flush toilets. Remember, If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. Actually that's only the rule if you're flushing by poring buckets of water in the toilet.

I agree. Remove the running gear and get a tug to pull her out. Probably won't even need plastic to pull her bottom over.

2 things can impact that plan.....

One, if the boat is down in a hole, even a little bit, it can make a simple pull involve a lot more strain on the pull....

Two, there may not be much deep water to pull across with a tug.....winching may be easier and more controlled.

Some salvages go easy, some not so easy.....it is something simple that throws the wrench in many salvage plans.....like the state environmental people won't even let you pull it over the marsh grass without protection or at all.

Psnleed

Good points all.

Hello from Hilton Head. We left the boat at a face dock in Shelter Cove marina, fearing the worst from storm surge. Video from local residents showed the marina getting bounced around pretty good. Text from dockmaster after the storm "all is good." Subsequent video shows Shangri-La lounging at the dock. Shelter Cove lived up to it's name after this direct hit. Now waiting for green light to return to our home.

Feel so bad for folks in Palmetto Bay. Total carnage.

DIRT FREE is up the Sassafras river and hoping to move down to Annapolis tomorrow.
Anyone know if there is room to anchor in Weems Creek right now ?

My boat, which was tied up in Beaufort, NC, fared well. Only a broken bow line and a bit of scuffing against a piling.

My hometown of Fayetteville, with 15 inches of rain from Matthew, and 10 inches less than 10 days prior, did not...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom