Hurricane Matthew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, well said Dave, and the rest. While I did not necessarily intend to make it or turn it into a political discussion, I feel as some of you others that politics do play a major part in how we, and any other country deals with its disasters and needs of individuals. Facts also help rather than rants.
I am a water professional and do spend time in Latin American Countries fighting water born diseases and have done so since Hurrican Mitch in Nicaragua. I have seen the politics of many of these nations and how they address the needs of their people. We in the U.S. are indeed truly blessed. Now for one fact- cholera does not kill "100000" people a year. Perhaps back in the dark ages it did but now with what has been done worldwide with safe drinking water it is down to less than 1,500 last year with most in Africa.
Please do not try to make me feel guilty for expressing feelings towards third world politics that do indeed lead to the death of thousands a year. I have seen it first hand and live it daily.

Please do not try to make me feel guilty for expressing feelings towards third world politics that do indeed lead to the death of thousands a year. I have seen it first hand and live it daily.

No, don't feel guilty. You're fine. :)

Greetings,
Matthew. I see the latest forecast boy NOAA has Matthew doing a 180. How common is this maneuver? 1:20 or 1:100? Not being a FL native, I have little recollection of past hurricane paths.

As an aside I would recommend you read "Dead Aid" by Dambisa Moyo. VERY interesting view of foreign aid.

The last one I remember was hurricane Dennis in 1999.

Dennis_1999_track.png

Greetings,
Matthew. I see the latest forecast boy NOAA has Matthew doing a 180. How common is this maneuver? 1:20 or 1:100? Not being a FL native, I have little recollection of past hurricane paths.

As an aside I would recommend you read "Dead Aid" by Dambisa Moyo. VERY interesting view of foreign aid.

270 degrees from it's current path.

However, down to 45 mph, low wind tropical storm before heading back toward FL so likely a tropical depression if even that by the time it heads back to shore. Remnants of a storm.

Nicole is on a strange path too. Came NW as a tropical storm, reached CAT 1, then headed south last night as a CAT 2, then back a little south today as a tropical storm, now forecast to go south the next two days, then back NNW, still as a tropical storm. All this while floundering around at sea.

Joaquin last year did about a 190 degree turn.

Does anyone know if KJ is still at Barefoot Landing. Looks like they will be getting some strong wind. Being close to Little River Inlet the surge could be high too.

We just got word that Hobo's still on her stands. We're going to try to get out later today, if not, tomorrow. We've been camping out at a friends house. Thanks everyone for your support and thoughts. By the way, living by candle light is highly over rated.

Does anyone know if KJ is still at Barefoot Landing. Looks like they will be getting some strong wind. Being close to Little River Inlet the surge could be high too.
No haven't heard anything in quite awhile...thought I saw something but not showing up in recent posts.....maybe a side reference that had him out of Myrtle...but just can't place the discusdion.

Good to hear about your boat.

The other that I was thinking about was Donna from Palm Coast.....anyone hear about them?

We just got word that Hobo's still on her stands. We're going to try to get out later today, if not, tomorrow. We've been camping out at a friends house. Thanks everyone for your support and thoughts. By the way, living by candle light is highly over rated.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Anyone know what actual storm surge level in Titusville was at highest point?

Excellent news Larry!

People still have candles? ?

It's down to a CAT 1 now. The national reports differ widely from local news up it's path. It's like a photo circulating of the Daytona Speedway showing 4' of water. Just one problem, the photo was from 2009.

Myrtle Beach forecast is now winds 75-80 mph so actually as strong as most places got. Hurricane far weaker but over land.

Starting to get substantial wind and rain here in Wilmington, NC. Power was off for a couple of hours, but now back on.

Just a quick post as we just got power and internet back. We made it with no damage a testament to a great location (Loggerhead Marina at Grand Harbor in Vero Beach) and 16 3/4 inch lines with proper chafe protection and boat prep.

No damage!! :dance:

@Scottedavis: How was storm surge at Vero?

Greetings,

Generally it is uncommon for a hurricane to go south after turning north. However check Nicole's track, another active storm, which has done so.

For the most part, Charleston appears to have escaped serious damage. Still some flooding, minor, to deal with. More accurate access net late this afternoon

Generally it is uncommon for a hurricane to go south after turning north. However check Nicole's track, another active storm, which has done so.

Nicole has pretty much just floundered around at sea, gone north, gone south, north, headed south now and then supposed to reverse and head back north. It's good there is no land where it's been going back and forth.

Just came back from St Augustine. 4 sailboats on side of street in my hood south of the 312 bridge. They cleared the marsh and were up on the side of the road. Lots of big trees uprooted, some on houses. Still no power as of noon time. Daytona, Flagler , Palm Coast and St Augustine got hit hard. Tightened up building codes are working! Very little roof damage (unless tree hit) visible. Lots of big trees taking out power lines. Anastasia Island was still closed supposedly until tomorrow. SR 206 bridge is closed for traffic and maybe for a while, structural "issue". National Guard was keeping post at Bridge Of Lions.

Thanks for the report , we have many friends and relatives living in St Johns county. Only one had flooding to thier home in St Augustine Beach.

The cottage we rented, like Hobo came out pretty much unscathed. Yahoo! The grounds and the surrounding homes didn't fair so well. They got nailed on the back side of the front when the wind came from the west.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom