Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chesapeake bay was my back yard for a decade of boating. Let me know of there is something you might need help with.

Changed our minds .... it's all a crap shoot where to hole up. We're going to stay in Chesapeake City til' this blows through.

So with all this time on our hands I finally got our new home made freezer operational but the cupboard is bare. Some friends from PA are driving down for lunch tomorrow and will take us grocery shopping (no shopping nearby) so we can fill our new freezer. The freezer compartment in the fridge was too small so we'll modify that and use that one just as a refrigerator.

We'll wait another couple of days and if it looks like Matthew really will be a problem we'll start stripping the boat ... remove canvas, remove outboard from the dinghy and hide it ashore somewhere, put the dinghy in the water and sink it, remove bicycles, antennas and anything else that can get torn off. We have a few options on how to place the boat using multiple lines and the anchor to hold us off the dock but we'll decide on that when we know more about wind speed/direction. We'll have lots of time if Matthew keeps to it's predicted track we will not get hit til' Sunday or Monday.

There is an old Chinese curse .... May you lead an exciting life
This still beats all hell out of going to the office every day :dance:

Looks like it's finally safe to head down the Chesapeake and we'll leave in the morning but we are in no hurry.

Sharon finally updated the blog at pcmarinesurveys.com

We have a few stops in mind ....... but no firm plans. We'll see when we get there :)

I'm sure you're watching the weather. Sunday is going to be right sh*tty on the bay. Find a good spot to get out of the blow tomorrow night.

Ted

I'm sure you're watching the weather. Sunday is going to be right sh*tty on the bay. Find a good spot to get out of the blow tomorrow night.

Ted

Yeah, you're right I'm getting a little bit impatient as we've been held up first by Hermine, now Matthew. We've also had several days of unfriendly tides. Impatience on the water is not a good thing.

We may just hop down to the Sassafras and anchor for a couple of days.
We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Thanks

Yeah, you're right I'm getting a little bit impatient as we've been held up first by Hermine, now Matthew. We've also had several days of unfriendly tides. Impatience on the water is not a good thing.

We may just hop down to the Sassafras and anchor for a couple of days.
We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Thanks

Maybe it's time to cook up another batch of whiskey ribs and enjoy the scenery? ?

Just dropped the hook up the Sassafras River at Fredericktown at the edge of the mooring field and we managed to pick up free WiFi. As OC said, the next couple of days on the Bay are going to be stinky so we'll proably be her for two nights. If not raining too hard tomorrow we'll explore town.

After seven weeks underway we have lost two weeks waiting for weather. I'd love to pick up the pace a bit but not at the risk of being beat up.

Next stop ..... not a clue :)

Just tied up at Elizabeth City free dock after a quiet, smooth run from Coinjock.
Cold beer, warm deck, beautiful wife ... love life :)

Great trip so far have met Ian, Ted. Scott and a couple of others. Ted's boat should be in a museum, what a shame to put that boat in dirty water.

Finally got the freezer finished and the grocery store at Great Bridge filled our meat order for us and blast froze it. I'm really impressed with the swing motor compressor, very quiet and low draw. the fridge has become a beer and wine cooler :)
Two days here to do the museum and planetarium, fortunately Sharon loves the museums as much as I do. the Wisconsin in Norfolk is incredible. Crappy free Wifi so can't post photos.

Cool.....must be taking your time to enjoy the area to backtrack up to ECity.

When we went through in the spring, a few pre-revolutionary war reenactors were set up in front of the museum doing 1700s kind of living...interesting to the point we almost ran out of time to go in the museum.

The pork roast over coals looked really good! :D

Greetings,
Cypress Creek Grill just across the street from you has some pretty good crab dip and you can get a reasonable meal at Quality Seafood just a couple of short blocks behind the museum of the Albermarle on Ehringhaus st. Groupers Waterfront...I wouldn't count on it. VERY hit and miss...mostly miss. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Finally got the freezer finished and the grocery store at Great Bridge filled our meat order for us and blast froze it. I'm really impressed with the swing motor compressor, very quiet and low draw. the fridge has become a beer and wine cooler :)

Wallace,
Enjoying following your adventures, thanks for having us along!
Interested in your home made freezer as I'm considering a similar project myself. Care to share some details?

Quality Seafood was our first stop, I've been there before and we had lunch of oysters, shrimp, clams and flounder. Lying in the cockpit drinking spiced rum and coke in an effort to recover.

We really wanted to do the Dismal Swamp again but it is still closed due to high water but I've always liked Elizabeth City so we back tracked. Unfortunately the old movie theatre where you could have dinner and watch a movie is closed. The whole Rose Buddy thing is a little more formal now that Fred has passed on but boaters are welcomed here like nowhere else, Free wine/beer cheese & chicken fingers on the docks to welcome cruisers, A terrific place. Crab pots on the Albermarle are ridiculous, at least on the Chesapeake they were laid in lines and if you followed the lines and understood the flags they are not difficult to navigate. In the Albermarle all the pots were laid by drunken fishermen with no rhyme or reason. We were badly waked today by a 46' pseudo trawler (Grand Banks) dragging a huge wake like a sportfisher .... he waved :)

"We were badly waked today by a 46' pseudo trawler (Grand Banks) dragging a huge wake like a sportfisher .... he waved"

Perhaps he tried to reach you on the VHF many times and you did not respond. Perhaps you travel much slower than he does. Perhaps he passed as slowly as he possibly could, exceeding your speed by a half knot. Perhaps he waved because he was introduced to you the night before on the dock at Great Bridge. Best to keep your VHF on to make slow passes easier to arrange.

Perhaps that is all true.....but....

I will bet on that Wallace had his radio on...

I will bet others will post you are still responsible for your wake. Now or in some other wake related thread.

And I am not even feeling lucky.....just confident....:D

One more bet, I bet there was plenty of sea room, but he still passed close aboard so the biggest part of the wake had the most effect. Not so confident there but 2 out of 3 is OK with me..... :socool:

Last edited:
If he had his radio on he wasn't listening. The wake caused no damage. His boat handled it admirably. I guess you had to be there.

Currituck Sound--quite narrow.

Wallace,
Enjoying following your adventures, thanks for having us along!
Interested in your home made freezer as I'm considering a similar project myself. Care to share some details?

Norcold swing compressor, much better than the old Danfoss types, Simple box
of 3 cubic feet with 4" of pink foamboard insulation, the interior is lined with the FRP tub surround material from Home Depot. Ice cream stays hard now :)

Currituck Sound--quite narrow.

Howard, the GB that waked me (dangerously) was a Classic not a Europa.
I did not say it was you. In fact the transom of the boat that did it was buried so deep I could not see his transom let alone if there was a name on it.

Just rafted of old friends in a Gemini 105 at the free dock in Oriental. lookin' for propane tank exchange and Black & Tan beer :)

Just rafted of old friends in a Gemini 105 at the free dock in Oriental. lookin' for propane tank exchange and Black & Tan beer :)

Have you been inside that Gemini? Much room inside? Those boats seem interesting/not too expensive.

Have you been inside that Gemini? Much room inside? Those boats seem interesting/not too expensive.

I have only surveyed five of those. In all five cases I advised the client to walk. Take a look at Psneeld's (Scott's) hydrolysis/delam photos, that's what I found on all the Gemini's. They are cheap for a reason

Howard, the GB that waked me (dangerously) was a Classic not a Europa.
I did not say it was you. In fact the transom of the boat that did it was buried so deep I could not see his transom let alone if there was a name on it.

Wow and all this time I was aggravated for no reason. :dance: I can't believe that a GB did that to you. When you push a GB that hard it throws a huge wake. Glad you're OK. Howard

I have only surveyed five of those. In all five cases I advised the client to walk. Take a look at Psneeld's (Scott's) hydrolysis/delam photos, that's what I found on all the Gemini's. They are cheap for a reason

Ahhh. Got it. Was wondering.

Spent the day wandering the Shackleford Banks watching the wild horses and scavenged the tidal pools for a few oysters and the fattest soft shell blue crab I have ever seen for lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.JPG
    IMG_5569.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5559.JPG
    IMG_5559.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 56
Nice haul! What's the recipe for those beauties?

Dipped in flour, dusted with jamaican jerk spices then deep fried.
mmmmmmh !

Spent last night in Mile Hammock Bay, much less military activity than in years gone by. Have previously had Harrier jets 100' overhead, fast attack craft with live fire excercises and they have removed the old WWII freighter they used to strafe..... pork cutlets stuffed with a slice of red pear and swiss cheese served over a bed of lime infused basmati rice with vidalia onions and red pepper..... we do like to eat well :)

Just dropped the hook in Wrightsville Beach. Gave Sharon a haircut then a beer .... Should have given her the beer first :)

Have picked up two loads of fuel with water that showed up in the filters within hours of fueling and am down to four spare fuel filters.

Attachments

• IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 50
Wonder if the water in the fuel was hurricane related?

Care to share places that had water?

Some of us will be right behind you ....hopefully....and it won't be soon enough!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom