Issues with Microcommander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurodoc

Vessel Name
Fitzcarraldo
Vessel Make
55 Ft Steel Trawler
Hi there, greetings from Argentina!
I just got my (new to me) 55 Ft. twin engine steel trawler back into the water after almost 3 years on the hard doing half life maintenance. Some weeks ago I replaced the old shabby cable controls for a pair of Mathers Micro Commander controls the previous owner bought about 8 years ago, but never installed. Controls were brand new in unopened boxes. Installation was done "by the book" by a certified electrician and everything runs smooth while in gear....
According to the manual you can accelerate the engine(s) in the "gearbox disengaged" mode.
To do so, you want to place the lever in neutral and press the control button while moving lever forward until light goes from steady to blinking red... but this does not happen this way in my unit, as it only happens when moving the lever(s) backward. While in this mode the control (sometimes) emits a continuous beep indicating malfunction. We went through the whole wiring and jumper settings in the control boxes and nothing seemed to be wrong. any clues? Thank you!

Last edited:
That may just be how the Microcommander works. I had one on a previous Mainship and I could never get it to advance the throttle while in neutral. But I was always trying to do it in forward. Maybe reverse was the trick.

In any case, call this guy. He is an expert in all things marine engine control- ZF Mathers MicroCommander

I should know definitively, but I'm pretty sure mine only do fast idle in reverse.

There are also quite a few programmable setting accessible via a few buttons inside the main control box. Or at least there are on mine.

Google around and you can find the manual which is very thorough.

I don't ever recall seeing them do fast idle in reverse.

"To achieve Neutral Warm-up Mode, position the Control Head lever(s) in the Neutral detent. Depress and hold the station transfer button while moving the Control Head lever(s) to the Ahead detent. (Refer to Figure 12:)"

The button you push should be on the side of the control facing you.

If it only goes into neutral idle in reverse you've got the wiring wrong.

Last edited:
My does fast idle in forward. However, since you are still in neutral what difference would it make?

I don't ever recall seeing them do fast idle in reverse.

"To achieve Neutral Warm-up Mode, position the Control Head lever(s) in the Neutral detent. Depress and hold the station transfer button while moving the Control Head lever(s) to the Ahead detent. (Refer to Figure 12:)"

The button you push should be on the side of the control facing you.

If it only goes into neutral idle in reverse you've got the wiring wrong.

Well, I did exactly what the manual says... but it only works in "reverse"
Checked all the wiring and color codes are as supposed to be:banghead: I have the feeling some of the jumper settings inside the control box may be wrong. Was looking for some "Ctrl - ALt Del" function to reset the box and start all over again!

Mine works at all rpm in neutral. I have never tried it in reverse. When engaging the transmission to forward and advancing the throttles, the synchronizing feature doesn't work at all! I have to synchronize by ear which is no big deal but i would like the system to work as advertised.

My does fast idle in forward. However, since you are still in neutral what difference would it make?

Well, I´m pretty scared of using the boat like that... cause anything may happen any time!

Mine works at all rpm in neutral. I have never tried it in reverse. When engaging the transmission to forward and advancing the throttles, the synchronizing feature doesn't work at all! I have to synchronize by ear which is no big deal but i would like the system to work as advertised.

I tried it in reverse, cause it did not work in "forward" as expected....
About the synchronizing feature: This is not a standard feature as you need to have 2 more motherboards (one in each control box) installed and additional wiring + RPM´s sensors on each engine for it to work. Have you checked yours?

So what does it do if you hold the button and push stick fwd? Does it go in gear, or just fail to rev when pushed past the detent?

I take it back. I just read the manual for my Mathers 9000 ClearCommand control. It's very clear that it's forward only for fast idle. You press and hold the button, shift forward with the lever, then release the button. You now have throttle control in neutral. Maybe I was confusing it with Glendinning? Or maybe I'm just old and senile.

There are probably lots of different models of Mathers contols, so this may or may not apply to yours.

If you have a Clear Command 9000 family control box, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the manual.

Well, I did exactly what the manual says... but it only works in "reverse"
Checked all the wiring and color codes are as supposed to be:banghead: I have the feeling some of the jumper settings inside the control box may be wrong. Was looking for some "Ctrl - ALt Del" function to reset the box and start all over again!

I just called a Mathers installer and service tech I know. He confirmed its a wiring issue.

I suggest you email Mathers so they can walk you through it.

I believe all you have to do is reverse a couple of wires.

Last edited:
My micro commander works as advertised. Push button, move throttle forward and release button. My engines automatically synth when the engines are within 10 percent of each other in speed. Or, I can select single lever mode.

I love these throttles.

Gordon

Capt Bill appears to be on the right track. From the ClearCommand manual:

SYMPTOM: Cannot obtain Warm-up Mode while moving the Control Head lever in the Ahead direction, only in the Astern direction.

CAUSE: The Processor is sensing that the Control Head’s lever is moving in the Astern direction

REMEDY: Depress the Transfer Button while moving the Control Head lever in the Astern direction. If the LED begins to blink, the Control Head is incorrectly wired.

• Check the colors of the wires at pins 5 and 7.
• A right hand Control Head should have yellow at pin 5 and blue at pin 7.
• A left hand Control Head should have blue at pin 5 and yellow at pin 7.
• The Clutch Servo’s direction of travel must be changed with Function Code C5 if the yellow and blue wires are reversed.

So what does it do if you hold the button and push stick fwd? Does it go in gear, or just fail to rev when pushed past the detent?

Cant tell you right now. I was so frustrated with what it did not do, that I have forgotten what it actually did. :blush: In a couple of hours I will be going to the boat and let you know. Thank you!

Silly question, is it possible to install port and starboard bases opposite?

Silly question, is it possible to install port and starboard bases opposite?

I think that is conceptually what's wrong. They make left and right handed controls, i.e. which side of the base the control stick is on. They need to be wired differently per post #15 above.

I think all that's needed is to swap the yellow and blue wires on pins 5 and 7. That will swap which stick direction is forward and which is reverse so that the warm-up mode works correctly. But then you also need to swap the gear shifting so you get the correct gear direction. With electric shift solenoids it would just be swapping the cables to the solenoids. For a servo cable shift the manual says you need to change Function Code C5.

You really just need the manual. It's very good - all 276 pages of it. This situation is specifically addressed in the trouble shooting section.

I take it back. I just read the manual for my Mathers 9000 ClearCommand control. It's very clear that it's forward only for fast idle. You press and hold the button, shift forward with the lever, then release the button. You now have throttle control in neutral. Maybe I was confusing it with Glendinning? Or maybe I'm just old and senile.

There are probably lots of different models of Mathers contols, so this may or may not apply to yours.

If you have a Clear Command 9000 family control box, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the manual.

Mine is supposed to work just like yours.
My manual is aboard right now, will re-read it (for the 100th time) and see if I find that info troubleshooter. If not I´ll send you a PM! Thanks a lot!

I checked this a while ago: when holding the button and pushing the stick to the forward detent I get a red steady light, indicating it is in gear.

I think that is conceptually what's wrong. They make left and right handed controls, i.e. which side of the base the control stick is on. They need to be wired differently per post #15 above.

I think all that's needed is to swap the yellow and blue wires on pins 5 and 7. That will swap which stick direction is forward and which is reverse so that the warm-up mode works correctly. But then you also need to swap the gear shifting so you get the correct gear direction. With electric shift solenoids it would just be swapping the cables to the solenoids. For a servo cable shift the manual says you need to change Function Code C5.

You really just need the manual. It's very good - all 276 pages of it. This situation is specifically addressed in the trouble shooting section.

I installed the control to operate i with the right hand... but never found any sticker or warning in the packaging nor manual indicating a need of changing some connections. My manual is quite crappy as it has (max) 50 pages.... but as I "inherited" this piece of equipment from a previous owner he may have kept / lost the good one.

I just called a Mathers installer and service tech I know. He confirmed its a wiring issue.

I suggest you email Mathers so they can walk you through it.

I believe all you have to do is reverse a couple of wires.

Thank you a lot for Having called these guys! I will change the wiring as suggested in another post, and contact Mathers if it does not work.

Perhaps it's time to contact these folks:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 60
Perhaps it's time to contact these folks:
The previous owner actually bought the control at the local distributor... But I prefer to avoid contacting them cause their prices are extremely high

On my 9000 you have to push and hold down the button for a minimum of about 7 seconds before moving the lever, you then get throttle only and a blinking light. If you hold it down for less, maybe 5 seconds, you end up with normal function and a solid light.
I've talked to the people at Mathers, friendly and helpful.

To be honest, I pressed and held the button for "some" seconds. Tomorrow I will pay more attention in order to do it for 7 seconds, as you say... and let you know!
Thanks!

To be honest, I pressed and held the button for "some" seconds. Tomorrow I will pay more attention in order to do it for 7 seconds, as you say... and let you know!
Thanks!

It doesn't matter how long you hold down the button if the wirings is wrong. :banghead:

You are soooo right! :):) Never the less, before checking the wires I will do the 7 seconds test;)

Hi I am a ZF Mathers Distributor and the post that said you need to swap the blue and yellow wires is correct. The only thing is when you do that you will need to reset the shift direction in the box or the units will work opposite of the lever direction. The warm up mode will only work when the throttle system is increasing the signal voltage not reducing it. Get the model number off the front of your boxes and you can call me at 904-868-3779 and I will walk you thru it if you still need the assistance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom