View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I've done a lot of buyers broker with real estate. And, yes, there's usually a contract you sign with the broker, and can say whatever. But there's usually a disclaimer that says the broker is not responsible for any statements or information, just like there is in the sales agreement (unless you write your own, which I occasionally do).

The buyer's broker can negotiate for you and disclose information that the seller's broker cannot do (ethically in the board of real estate's code of ethics). Like the buyer's broker can tell you that the buyer is desperate and has to decide between feeding his kids or making another boat payment, or he needs to get out of town by the weekend because of his ex wife.

As for who pays who, I could argue for the buyer to pay for his broker. Could be a commission, flat fee or combination. It could be a commitment with a minimum payment even if there's no sale, or not. The offer is made with a clause that states that the sellers broker will take half of the agreed upon commission, and the sellers broker will sign, as well as the seller.

Sure, the real money comes from the buyer, but the logistics can make a difference.

Also, there's nothing wrong with working with more than one broker. Brokers have different skills and different opinions and worth pursuing all sources, but I feel that it should be disclosed. I've had some realtors that don't like that and I simply tell them that's just good business, but never had a boat broker object.

And regarding "tire kickers" and "bottom feeders".... a good broker would not discard them as a good buyer. You never know if some snot nose 22 years old kid doesn't have a chunk of change in his back pocket. I like the philosophy of show the boat to anyone. If you discriminate you eliminate 100% of the chance of a sale. If I show it 20 times, mostly to folks that look like they don't have a pot to piss in, and one buys, then I've done the job. I had that happen to me several years ago when this snot nose kid wanted to buy a plane I was selling.... wrote a check for it and got full asking price.

Another real pet peeve of mine is how brokers won't let you do a trial run without a deposit. No frickin way. Don't mind paying for expenses and a captain, but not going to put 10% into his account, regardless of what they say.... and never had an issue with that.