Hurricane Matthew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what it's worth, there appear to be a few slips open at the Marina at Ortega Landings here in Jacksonville.This is where I am and is as protected as it gets for what we will be dealing with. This is on the St Johns River. Phone 904-387-5538. Ask for Bruce (Dock Master)

I'm in Ft Laud now, up the New River, docked at shipyard on Marina Mile. Wednesday was pretty hectic getting secured and traffic coming in, now Thurs. morning and everything pretty quiet, just a few last minute preps. I'm facing north so it should be mostly on the nose, nothing in front of me, but there is an old 80-85' Burger rafted up off my port bow, poorly secured, my biggest worry is him breaking loose and getting blown down on me. All the big mega's have pro crews and have done a good job securing, it's the little sport, sport fish's, and absentee owner boats that are the worry, they just don't care or prep right.
I rode out Andrew on this same boat in this same marina back in 92, we clocked 122 mph then, this won't be as bad. Also rode another hurricane in this exact same slip back around 2000, maybe 2001, that was on a 132' Amels, no problems then.

but there is an old 80-85' Burger rafted up off my port bow, poorly secured, my biggest worry is him breaking loose and getting blown down on me. All the big mega's have pro crews and have done a good job securing, it's the little sport, sport fish's, and absentee owner boats that are the worry, they just don't care or prep right.

Most marina contracts allow the marina to add lines and do whatever else to secure boats at the owner's cost. I'd call boats that concerned me to the attention of the marina.

With the weather channel on, it's amazing the lack of knowledge continually displayed even on a channel that should be more on knowledge and less on drama. I know there is some benefit to that in the immediacy, however. Getting people to think the worst may get them to prepare for the reality.

It's staggering to see the differences in what we're likely to see 50 miles north, even 20 miles north from wherever you're talking. Also, the differences even a half mile inland. A tremendous misunderstanding of evacuation and what areas actually are evacuation zones.

South Florida does have a hurricane warning but unless something changes this is not the area at the greatest risk. It's further north along the FL coast.

Last edited:
Heard anything from them?

Just saw a video of Nassau and it actually didn't look too terrible-- but they were in a big strong building shielded from the wind.
Nothing yet . She went to Nassau and he stayed at TC. Her mom has one house on a small island across from GTC . They also have several canals on TC that were built for a resort area that I believe Floyd took out .Now the Moorings use the canals for hurricane holes .

South Florida does have a hurricane warning but unless something changes this is not the area at the greatest risk. It's further north along the FL coast.

Fort Lauderdale maximum forecast winds 70 mph. Jupiter 110 mph. Melbourne 118 mph. So close, but so different in wind. Similar in surge as you move north.

In Miami we added extra lines and took in cushions and stuff that could blow away, and added 100 gallons of water. At the house we have done nothing except take in plants on the patio. Let it blow! ��

Just saw another four USCG cutters headed down the St Johns presumably to a designated hurricane hole. At my dock, water levels are at least a foot higher than normal high tide and we are nowhere near the storm yet. We just raised the boat another couple of feet on the lift. Need to get this right before the storm as I am certain we will lose power.

We've done as much as we can do. I raised our container 16" on blocks. All the contents except the batteries are another 18" minimum off the floor except the marine ply and metal pieces.

The barge next to us normally needs 13" to float. Add that to the 18" of blocks and it could get quite lively with the storm surge. The yard has tried to secure a couple others so at least they don't get out into the river. Now the waiting starts.

Hobo's at the St. Johns Boat Co, JAX:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/9...dd7ba44fc16295!8m2!3d30.4000221!4d-81.4333202

Attachments

• IMG_0029a.jpg
    IMG_0029a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0012a.jpg
    IMG_0012a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 113
Now the waiting starts.

Yup. Now the waiting. Once you have done all that you can do, then you have to just hope for the best. My fingers on both hands are crossed for you, Larry.

I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. Winds starting to pick up in FLL. Squalls within next couple of hours.

Lots of webcams in our area:

https://www.sunny.org/webcam/

For those viewing from afar there are cams all the way up the coast. Those north of us are very calm right now, but won't be long.

Did just look at the Pompano Beach cam and one fool wading around in the surf. Saw on the Weather Channel where the reporter convinced someone it wasn't probably wise to try to slip in a mid day swim.

Last edited:
Port Condition Zulu issued in E. Fla. Ports.

I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. .

I just talked to a friend who lives on a creek in the town of Okeechobee. He said he was in Clearwater yesterday and everything was a parking lot going west.
He's back home now and said he already has branches falling in his yard.

My prayers go out to any of you who may be impacted by this storm. Good luck.

One of the things that concern me most about this storm is that with most of the models showing the storm curving back towards the coast again, even though the winds would be greatly reduced, the rain could finish off a lot of damage that was done during the storm's first pass.

In 2005, Wilma took half of our roof from our home on Key Biscayne. Early next the next morning, I purchased all the tarps, tar and materials necessary to cover the damaged area, but the next day there wasn't a tarp to be found in all the Miami area. A rainstorm that followed serval days later did more damage to Miami then the hurricane itself, with so many roof and walls having no protection.

If Matthew returns to attack the coast again, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there were no supplies left to keep anything from further damage.

Here in marathon we are getting winds from the NW and a cloudy sky. No rain yet and a few gusts. Storm has moved north of our line and well hope for the best. Good luck to all in the path and hope everyone is ready for what will come overnight. Why always at night???

Outer band hitting us now in Longboat Key ( Gulf Coast), 30 mph gust, heavy rain.

Local tv channel 6 nbc just announced "Hurricane threat over for Miami and becoming extremely extremely unlikely for Broward."

So much hype, so little storm! Drama, drama.

All is not wasted Bigfish. It looks like the darn thing is going to go around and take another shot at us in about a week. Just think of it as good practice.

LOL. I hope not. So far all the large ships going up and down the river have created enough mud stirred off the bottom to plug up my strainers for the AC.

I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. Winds starting to pick up in FLL. Squalls within next couple of hours.

Lots of webcams in our area:

https://www.sunny.org/webcam/

For those viewing from afar there are cams all the way up the coast. Those north of us are very calm right now, but won't be long.

Did just look at the Pompano Beach cam and one fool wading around in the surf. Saw on the Weather Channel where the reporter convinced someone it wasn't probably wise to try to slip in a mid day swim.

BandB,

Couldn't agree more, and now could be too late for some folks. The highways get packed and just don't move, and agreed, being in a car is NOT good.

Just ran over to Lakeland and back from St. Pete early today and traffic westbound was significant.

The biggest risk for folks is flooding, especially during a severe storm when the water can get over the roof (after the roof has blown off).

It's impossible to really feel better not being in it's worst area, but knowing how much damage will occur north of us.

It's impossible to really feel better not being in it's worst area, but knowing how much damage will occur north of us.

Yup. I stopped at an overpass in Tallahassee, where I-10 goes through, and the traffic in the west-bound lane was bumper to bumper, and moving very slowly. Guess some of those people will peel off and try to find a motel to stay in, but I doubt they will find any vacancies before, perhaps, Pensacola or even in Alabama. There, but for the grace of God, go I . . .

Got a text from a live-aboard friend with a 43 Hatteras up in Fernandina Beach. His floating docks marina has 10 ft. posts and the surge is predicted at 9-11 ft. there. They ordered mandatory evac.....doesn't look too good.

Another Krogen buddy has his 39 tied up in a Freeport, Bahamas slip. That doesn't look too good either.

Right now, Weather Channel is picking Stuart for the bulls eye, a huge recreational cruising boat port including Headquarters for Krogen and it's brokerage. Thankfully, it's too early for snowbirds to be cruising south for winter.

Thankfully, it's too early for snowbirds to be cruising south for winter.

Not true. We met a couple at lunch in New Bern today that ducked up the Neuse River to wait it out, coming from Annapolis. A few Marina boats have already left....taking their time going south.

Hope all stay safe from the storm! Three days ago we were to take a direct hit, so Skinny Dippin' is prepared just in case!

There will always be people that wait too long. Never understood why, other than there's a huge tendancy for people to not believe they're responsible for themselves.
Waiting until now to pull the trigger and head west is...well, pure lunacy.
You should have been heading west 2 days ago, regardless of what TWC and NHC said.
As I have said to others, what's the UPSIDE to staying where you are?...there is none.
Part of this problem is related to liability and lawyers. Maybe a big part. If you tell me that I have to evacuate, and it turns out there's no need, you owe me for hotel, lost work/whatever. So many people want someone else to be responsible.

Anyway, nothing to do now but count the damage in 2 days.

We passed under the Skyway Bridge about 1.5hrs ago. A bit rocky out there, beam seas, but nothing too bad, and the Paradise is a fairly small ship. I expect things will get more rolly as we pass the tip of Fl, but my thoughts go out to those of you along the coast. This is going to be bad or worse, no good to be found.
Stay safe...double up those lines...

"So many people want someone else to be responsible.". Or turning it around, people don't want to accept responsibility, evidence our politicians today.

Don't get me started my blood pressure will go up and I'll be writing for days.

"So many people want someone else to be responsible.". Or turning it around, people don't want to accept responsibility, evidence our politicians today.

Don't get me started my blood pressure will go up and I'll be writing for days.

Um, this is a useful thread. So don't get political, guys. You know what will happen then. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom