View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Wood

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
<snip>... when it comes to real estate, including seller's brokers, buyer's brokers and in some states dual agency are clearly defined in the regulations........

I am not aware this is happening anywhere in the boat brokerage business, but set me straight if I'm wrong.<snip>
I agree. It's no accident or "semantics" that it's called "Real Estate MARKET"

Agency is well described and regulated. A Buyer Broker is a firm exclusively representing buyers. A Buyer Agent may be from a dual agency firm - and information restrictions, among other things, will need to be employed

For over 100 years there has been a "Multiple Listing Service" updated monthly when only in paper form. That data - alone - drove the "market" and continues to do so, even with sites like Zillow and Redfin, etc. It is the definitive source for real estate market data anywhere in the USA.

Boat re-sale - is not a market in that sense. It's a free for all with no coordination, very limited sales data - and, ummm - no enforced building codes, or broker qualifications.

I've bought and sold a few boats w/o brokers. Finding FSBO is extremely difficult - even with a script like searchtempest. Now I'm shopping for a different animal with much more downside if I get it wrong.

I'm in conversation with a buyer broker now. I'll be interested to see an agency agreement - if they are used. If they are not - I've done more than one high value business deal on a hand shake. Like B&B said elsewhere it's all about relationships.

The OP's posted expectations have high value.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote