Assisting a ship in distress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A coupla years ago some guys in a sportfisher tried to cross a flat near our dock and grounded hard. We worked hard on the boat and finally pulled it off the flat.

I would never do that again. Broke 2 lines and stressed my engines. I should have offered to call Sea Tow for them.

Your situation is very different though. Limited options for the stranded boater. I'd have done the same as safely as possible.

One question for the forum not covered here so far I don't think. Would you, the coast guard or a towing service transfer all souls to the towing boat or all but one to steer the towed boat, or would they all just leave them on their own boat? I would feel safer having them on board.

I think the answer would be situational dependent: sea conditions, sea worthiness of the boat to be towed, distance to be towed, ect. No one easy answer.

One question for the forum not covered here so far I don't think. Would you, the coast guard or a towing service transfer all souls to the towing boat or all but one to steer the towed boat, or would they all just leave them on their own boat? I would feel safer having them on board.

The answer is, as always, "it depends."

Assuming a routine tow, it's safer to leave passengers and crew where they are than to transfer them between boats. I think that's what you'll find the CG and towing services doing 99% of the time.

Exceptions would be if they're getting hypothermic or have another serious medical condition, or if the towed vessel is at risk of fire or sinking.

The answer is, as always, "it depends."

Assuming a routine tow, it's safer to leave passengers and crew where they are than to transfer them between boats. I think that's what you'll find the CG and towing services doing 99% of the time.

Exceptions would be if they're getting hypothermic or have another serious medical condition, or if the towed vessel is at risk of fire or sinking.

Every situation must be assessed on its own facts. Not every towing boat will have the space to take the passengers aboard, not every person on a distressed boat will be in panic mode, or otherwise need to be under close supervision, not every boat will tow well without a crew on board.
Occasionally, a rescuer will need to operate the distressed boat while it is under tow, or will need to go aboard to properly secure the towline, and will elect to remain aboard to help while being towed. The crew of the distressed boat may be more in his or her way than if removed to the towing boat.
There is no "one size fits all" answer.

I rarely in 13 years of assistance towing transferred the people.

Depended on the conditions, both environmental and the towed vessel.

If the environmental conditions warrant removing the people from the towed boat...you better be one dang good tower yourself and be well equipped to tow.

Plus, at sea transfers even under really good conditions are usually dangerous.

When this occured to me I choose not to ask them to transfer to my ship for different reasons. First I did not want to try to manoeuver to tie my boat to their one as I was not used to do it. Second I wanted not to try to transfer people as their boat was a small cruiser that has no bridge around it (don't know how to describe it), the only way for them to get out was from aft in other words. Lastly I did not want to take the risk to see one of them fall overboard knowing that their boat was not damaged or taking water.
I still not sure if I should or shouldn't but I was evaluating my options at that time and took a decision knowing I did not have much if any experience regarding assistance.

Back
Top Bottom