Sea level Marmots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MurrayM wrote, "Game. Set. Match. Yet again. I am humbled in your presence..."

Amen. Mr. RTF: "We are not worthy!"

Marmite, another salty black tar like substance like Vegemite.
I know Marmots once made nice coats, still do for themselves, but do they make good pets?

Update - a black bear carcass was just found, evidence points to it being killed by a grizzly!

Marmots phooey. We are getting grizzly bears wandering about the Sunshine Coast now!...

Update - a black bear carcass was just found, evidence points to it being killed by a grizzly!

As I see it, that's actually a good sign because it means the sunshine coast ecosystem is recovering.

The Kitimat Valley (approximately 30 x 4.6 miles) was pretty much completely clear cut of its old growth forest in about 20 years back in the 1960's and 70's, then they logged out the tributary valleys in the 1980's. Grizzly bears didn't like that, and became infrequent on the valley floor and along the river until the last 10 years or so...except for the estuary which has always been prime springtime grizzly habitat.

The increasing number of grizzlies in the valley was confirmed to me by a fisheries officer who's been walking the Kitimat River and its tributaries for decades counting salmon during spawning season.

The south coast has been heavily impacted by logging where some areas have been logged two or three times, so if the Kitimat Valley's experience is anything to go by, having grizzlies return to the sunshine coast is a sign of a healthier environment.

Hiking hint: hunters usually have the best (scariest) bear encounter stories because they're sneaking around in the bush. I pick up a dry stick and whack tree trunks and rocks while hiking which lets every critter in the forest know a) something big is coming, and b) it doesn't care who hears it. That, bear spray (never used) and "situational awareness" in seasonal bear habitats.

So far, so good...

Last edited:
Greetings,
A happy marmot family...
marmite.jpg

Had never heard of that stuff, had to go look it up. It looks to be the same as Australia's Vegemite. Good stuff.

Marty..................

News reports indicate that there has been quite a few instances of Grizzlies swimming off the B.C. Mainland onto coastal Islands. We witnessed this ourselves this summer where, when visiting east Thurlow Island, after a hike up to the old gold mine there, and upon returning to our boat, we observed a Grizzly come out at the trail head and walk across the beach. Vancouver Island marmots are a species at risk. After much effort to rebuild the population, it was discovered that wolves are predating on them. Perhaps Grizzlies have also heard how tasty they are and hence, are swimming across from the mainland for these tasty snacks!

Apparently they caught the grizzly in a trap, tranquized it (600#) and it was last seen dangling under a helicopter enroute to Kitimat to be released!

Murray, there is no history of Grizzlies ever on the Sunshine Coast but, generally, I agree with your sentiments about our ecosystem although I don't wish to contribute to the food source nor the fertilizer deposit left by a grizz.

Now, where did I put that marmot burger....?

They do look like a Nutria except with a furry tail vs. the rat tail of Nutria. I haven't tried Nutria yet, friends tell me they are pretty good but need lots of prep and there isn't much meat on them once cleaned.
There are so many Nutria in Louisiana their burrows cause damage tp the levee systems, there is a bounty on them now, bring in a tail, get $5.00.

I love South Louisiana and if I ever leave North Florida I'll likely move there. I've spent a lot of time hunting and fishing in the Venice and Port Sulpher area. My local friends there give me a hard time because we eat mullet in N. Florida. I can always trump though them by reminding them that they eat nutria.

I have eaten a few mullet they were pretty good, we just don't usually fish for them. If there are some good sized ones swimming around we'll toss a net over them, fillet them and fry them up. I hear they are good smoked too.

Murray, there is no history of Grizzlies ever on the Sunshine Coast QUOTE]

One hundred years ago the loggers in the area made sure of it

Apparently, grizzlies did live on BC's sunshine coast:

Grizzly Bear Population Status in B.C.
Grizzly bears are extirpated (absent) from much of their southern range in the USA, as well as several areas in British Columbia:

* The dry southern-central interior from the US border to north of Quesnel
* The Peace Lowlands around Ft. St. John and Dawson Creek
* The lower Fraser Valley/Lower Mainland and the Sunshine Coast

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom