110 Volt Main Panel Pilot Indicator Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefdrifter

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Reef Drifter
Vessel Make
1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader
Does any one know where to get a red LED pilot light for the 110 volt side of the main electric panel?* My panel has the old bulb socket but no bulb installed.* I would like to replace the entire socket and bulb with an LED unit if they are available.* I have checked West Marine and Defender but they only have the 12 volt version.

http://www.boat-project.com/electro/panellight.htm

This link has an interesting write up on doing what you are planning. The writer refers to a couple of Blue Seas ac led part numbersm but as he stated they are just under a 1/4 in in diameter. I would guess that your situation invloves larger holes than that. Towards the end of the article he offers a couple of other AC led options he came across AFTER he had gone to all the work of making a module to which he attached DC leds. They appear larger in diameter so may suit your needs, or at the very least point you in the direction of a manufacturer.

Cheers!

I think I may have to settle for a 110 volt incandescent pilot light to replace the existing light. I haven't be able to find either one that will fit the hole in the panel. The old light hole is about 1/2" to 3/4" diameter. I am not sure what bulb I would get if I just want to install a new bulb. The old one is long gone. The plastic lerns has gotten hot a melted so that is probably why the bulb is gone. That is why I want to replace the entire socket and bulb.

The Blue Seas leds are very light weight and friction fit in any thickness according to the manufacturer. It wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a mini filler panel that could be attached with epoxy or 5200. Depending on the panel material, a wander through your local big box store might find a suitable color/texture match in their counter laminate sample rack.

The folks that make electric stoves use tiny 120V pilot lights.

Radio Shack, Or simular store might have something that would work.

Do you also have a reverse polarity light?* Is it the same?

JohnP

120 volt incandescent piloy lamps are very fragile and don't last long because the filament has to be very thin. Most 120 volt pilot lamps in the past were neon lamps and they would begin to flicker as they aged.

Here is the West Marine link for LED pilot lights. Red, green and amber are available in 120 volt versions.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=343741&langId=-1

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 1st of April 2011 08:29:17 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I found a nice pilot light at Radio Shack for only 99 cents that will work on 120 volts. I just had to solder a couple of leads to the tabs and it should fit into the old pilot light hole. If this light doesn't work very long then I can go to Sarasota Electronics. They have several pilots lights to choose from and they aren't far away.

I couldn't find anything at Blue Sea for 120 volts and West Marine just had some very small lights, way too small for my electric panel.

-- Edited by reefdrifter on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 09:35:28 PM

Take a look at: http://www.mcmaster.com/#led-indicators/=bq1sus This is McMaster Carr a very large industrial supply house. Look down the page a little for LED's and also look at the following page. If the LED bulb is too small for the hole, fit a rubber grommet into the opening to press fit a small LED bulb into.

Incidentally, McMaster is an excellent source for hardware in stainless, bronze in types that are very hard to get elsewhere, electrical, plumbing, materials, plastics, metals etc. In my case, in Iowa, if I order by 5 in the evening, I get next day delivery for the standard UPS rate. They do take Visa/Mastercard. I doubt they appreciate small orders but they have no minimum order.

I recently purchased a quantity of 1/4" Paneltronics red and amber led's (12v and 120v) online from Surfside Electronics. Check the diameter before ordering - they all look the same! Good personal service from David Fishbein who appears to be the owner.

What about buying a fender washer which is stainless and polish it up and put the LED light in it and it will cover the larger hole.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom