Fuel Price Downunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gee, that's double or triple the price in the US.
$1.18/L is seriously cheap here for a marina. It`s currently $1.17 at the "servo" (Aussie for fuel station) for my diesel car.

Well it turns out my 1800 litres was $1.14. Go Bundy Port Marina! Have to be happy with that. Lady Musgrave for tonight then a couple of days at Fitzroy Reef.

Not going to need much fuel with the Clipper/Cummins combo delivering under 3 litres per nautical mile At better than 9 knots, probably some tide assist but I will take what I can get!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470788483.971029.jpg

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

What model/output is the Cummins engine?

Cummins QSB 5.9 380 hp x 2, loaded weight 19 ton. Loa 48 feet.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

Oak Harbor WA $2.11 per Gallon plus a discount equal to one night moorage

2.0 mpg just out of reach

Just can't seem to get to 2 mpg....:nonono:

So here are the numbers from Port McNeil to Oak Harbor (via Broughtons, Desolation, sunshine coast, Vancouver B.C. San Juan Islands Oak harbor):

Miles: 525

Hours: 80.9

MPG: 1.85

Burn Rate: 3.5 gph

Fuel Cost: $598.90 @ $2.11pg Oak Harbor.

Des Moines marina in WA has diesel for 1.89 a gallon.

Just can't seem to get to 2 mpg....:nonono:

So here are the numbers from Port McNeil to Oak Harbor (via Broughtons, Desolation, sunshine coast, Vancouver B.C. San Juan Islands Oak harbor):

Miles: 525

Hours: 80.9

MPG: 1.85

Burn Rate: 3.5 gph

Fuel Cost: $598.90 @ $2.11pg Oak Harbor.

Are you using nmpg or statute mpg?

Excitement at these prices evaporates when I realise you US guys are posting US prices on a thread about Aussie fuel pricing. Servo pump prices currently around $1.17/L.

Excitement at these prices evaporates when I realise you US guys are posting US prices on a thread about Aussie fuel pricing. Servo pump prices currently around $1.17/L.

Since no one reads to see what forum the thread is in, might be good in the future to clarify in the thread title. Of course, still might not stop anyone.

Since no one reads to see what forum the thread is in, might be good in the future to clarify in the thread title. Of course, still might not stop anyone.

Lol, sorry. I failed to see that. ☺️

Good point BandB. Done.

Filled boat fuel tanks this morning, took 1803 litres @ $1.23 per litre , I can live with that as we have traveled from Townsville to Lizard Island, back to Cairns, out to Fitzroy And Green Islands and back to Cairns again plus run the genset for about a 100 hours making water and power for us.
What really hurts is the qld govt owned marina here which charged $12.44 in berth fees to pull up at the fuel wharf even though we are paying $64 a day in marina fees. No help either with tying up or fuelling. I would avoid filling up here unless you have to?

Do they charge to tie up at the fuel dock just to get fuel (that you are paying for)? That is not good...

Yes, a per metre of boat length charge in addition to the fuel cost. Imagine the uproar if servos charged car drivers just to park at the pump. Typical bloody government snafu. It's the same marina which makes everyone leave in a cyclone to avoid any liability. How that's right sending people out into a cyclone to park in muddy creeks. It's a pity because it is a great location here in Cairns but the cyclone issue will se us spend summer in Townsville or Airlie. Just need to do a deal on a berth.

Boy that's rough, they must have made a motsa during the last week with the 50 th annual billfish celebrations.
A friend of mine Craig Smith aka Pirate, made the new marlin sculpture that was put up for the celebrations.
mate have scored a nice berth in Mackay 16 mts for $700.00 /month, I think I have a new home base.
I have heard that there are some deals , private, going at the new uncompleted marina Port of Airlie "Muddy Bay" probably worth a check.

Hi Benn, All delivered with a bad attitude! The great thing about social media is we can all share the experiences. I.e. Townsville team were awesome, nothing too much trouble.
The sculpture is awesome, we were expecting some lame fish in fibreglass but he has done a great job.
Thanks for the tip re muddy marina, I will look it up.
IMG_1475561158.276873.jpg

What an astounding gouge. Do they charge for water? Could you park there all day to spite them?
Sharp conduct like that may draw in a competitor. When Western Australia based Baileys Fuels set up in Sydney it put a cat among the pigeons. Even D`Albora reduced their prices, Akuna Bay became competitive. Probably unrelated, but Ardent Leisure, which owns the D`Albora Marinas chain, is selling them off as "non core business".

I think the reef boats would crush any boat left there all day and given it's a govt marina can't imagine they will be allowing any competition. Rack price is $1.28 a litre so a bit of bargaining is needed to get the reef boat price!

Well the price you got in the end at Cairns was reasonable at least. I fuelled up at Hamilton Island a week ago and it was $1.32. To tie up at the fuel dock was free, but you had to leave ASAP. Its a very busy place. I only stayed 2 nights in the marina, the place was chockers and I was lucky to share a 40m T-head with some other boats. But not cheap - $165/night. Still, the place is well run and convenient, and I'd happily use it again for a night or two in future.

Benn is right, Mackay is a pretty good marina to use, and bus to Canelands mall makes shopping very straightforward. When I was online I noticed there were quite a few berths for sale there too, but prices were all over the place for some reason. Maybe some sellers with unrealistic expectations?

There were a few days of light northerlies, so I ran south for a bit. I was at White Bay on Middle Percy when the southerly change came through a bit earlier than forecast. Left at 6am into 25-30kn with tide running opposite direction. It was an 'interesting' trip across to South Percy where I holed up for a few hours to allow things to settle a bit. Currently at Port Clinton.

Brian , good to see you are still on the go, safe travels.
Hammo "it is what it is" Has its good points, you don't have to go into Airlie, on line shopping from Coles, use the resort facilities,good coffee these days, some nice resturants, local airport, good for guests in and out,and Marina staff very willing to assist both in and out of your berth.
Fuel used to be cheaper than Airlie but it is the high season.
I even used to haul Tidahapah out there when I was berthed at Laguna Quays.
Mackay Marina berths have different lease lengths so this may explain the disparity in prices.
I am happy with my $700.00/month for B8 that I have now. It may even be the berth you were in.
Anyhow safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom