Pickwick Lake TN & AL - Dec 27 Recon trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Looking for suggestions...we're going to spend a couple of days*around Pickwick Lake on the TN & AL border visiting marinas via car & getting the lay of the land.* Plan A is to move our KK36 Manatee*there spring 12 & spend a*couple of months next summer & fall*exploring the TN river system before heading down the Tombigbee to the Gulf in early 2013.

It's been suggested that we have the boat delivered to*Aqua Harbor Marina at the W end of the lake & base out of there.*

Anyone have other recommendations for things to check around Pickwick on this excursion?

you will like Aqua Yacht Harbor. Very nice and clean docks, top notch service department, nice boaters, etc. I am not 100% familiar with some of the other marinas down there since we are a few hundred miles upstream in Chattanooga/Lake Chickamauga, but I have been to Aqua earlier this fall and it is a nice facility. Only negative is that you are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere so shopping, etc. is not immediately handy. Personally, I'd rather base out of the chattanooga area but that is personal preference as it is fun to be near the downtown district, shopping is closer, etc. Lake Guntersville is also nice. Either way, if you come up the TN River you will have to come say hi in Chattanooga- we are at Island Cove Marina.

Woodsong wrote:
you will like Aqua Yacht Harbor. Very nice and clean docks, top notch service department, nice boaters, etc. I am not 100% familiar with some of the other marinas down there since we are a few hundred miles upstream in Chattanooga/Lake Chickamauga, but I have been to Aqua earlier this fall and it is a nice facility. Only negative is that you are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere so shopping, etc. is not immediately handy. Personally, I'd rather base out of the chattanooga area but that is personal preference as it is fun to be near the downtown district, shopping is closer, etc. Lake Guntersville is also nice. Either way, if you come up the TN River you will have to come say hi in Chattanooga- we are at Island Cove Marina.
*I second what Tony said about Chattanooga. *I live near the city docks at the downtown waterfront. *Everything is near by. *There is a free electric bus shuttle around town. *It is very walkable. *Probably 50 restaurants within walking distance of the water front. *Come on up. *You'll like it.

Attachments

• walnut hill arial photo 11-6-06.jpg
    walnut hill arial photo 11-6-06.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 82
charles wrote:
Chatanooga, great place to visit.
While there we were looking for a Catholic church so THE WIFE called the Chamber or Commerce, told them that we were on a boat at the dock and where was the nearest church. The lady said, "Oh honey we are all Baptist up here but let me ask."
There is one downtown and semi convenient to the dock.

We had a nice time there and actually extended our stay to a week or so.
Interesting aside, we were there during the presidential election, so I had my absentee ballot mailed to an e mail bud from the area and he handed me my ballot in the middle of the river as he was passing through.

CCC
*Charles, we are not Catholic, but there is a fairly large Catholic Community here. *There are several churches. *One of my son's went to the Catholic high school. *They must have given him a pretty good education. *He is a writer. *If you come again land or sea let me know.

Back
Top Bottom