What are the top 5 red flags in buying a used trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So all the opinions on boat design will be positive and likely what you need to know won't be said.

I'll say it :)

Every manufacturer made crap at one time, some made nothing but crap and quality control was virtually unheard of. For the last 20 years boats have been built by accountants not boat builders and this aspect is getting worse every year.

So any good boat you come across has been made good by a conscientious owner not the builder. :dance:

Last edited:
Regarding Volvo engines, Is it the engines themselves (and if so, what about them), or the customer service from the company?

Regarding Volvo engines, Is it the engines themselves (and if so, what about them), or the customer service from the company?

I have owned a few diesels now, one of which was a Volvo TAMD60B. It was an awesome engine, virtually trouble free ..... but parts prices are just stoooopid and sold only through captive authorized dealers and factory support is non-existent. .... $140 for an air filter !!! ($13 for the one on my Perkins).

My buddy Blake bought two brand new Volvos five years ago. One of them has never worked properly and uses 15% more fuel than the other. After a few half hearted attempts by Volvo to fix it they said ..... it's out of warranty, you're on your own.

When Volvo stops making any particular model, support for that model stops the same day. I think they're business practices are unethical.

Poker,
There are a few so you're not the only one.
But most of us are a little sensitive to the feelings of the several to many boat owners of the specific boat about to call "crap". Most here think their boat (brand) is wonderful and will definitely feel bad or even very insulted if it is called "crap".
I actually think what you say is true but you overstate it terribly.

Poker,
There are a few so you're not the only one.
But most of us are a little sensitive to the feelings of the several to many boat owners of the specific boat about to call "crap". Most here think their boat (brand) is wonderful and will definitely feel bad or even very insulted if it is called "crap".
I actually think what you say is true but you overstate it terribly.

Yeah, you may be right, my feelings have been pushed a little to the cynical side by what I've seen in 3600 surveys and 5000 inspections

Ok, well, WTF is in the bilge to start with.. then two missing hose clamps, two wrong hose clamps, loose wire (?)...

I want to know the answer as well.

I noticed the stuff that looks like asphalt at the bottom (is that the bilge?). And those overly long hose clamps can become like knife blades!
And what is that random black hose front and center?
And something looks a little wonky at the far end of the solenoid. (spring or safety wire?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom