Small marine diesel Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elhewman

If I were to find an Albin 25 hull what could I expect the price of the 20-30 hp diesel to cost new or used? It is a pain trying to find this on the net. Google is not helping. Yanmar's and Beta Marine are what i have found with no prices.*

Thanks guys

Beta sells direct, call them.

The Albin is'nt 100% full displacement. There are two styles of hull. I ran mine at 8.5 knots for over a year and then 7.35 most of the time. I had the older style hull w a banana shaped stern while the later model hulls had a wider stern and a slight hook in the bottom to keep the bow down from 8 to 10 knots. My old Albin made close to 11 knots w 34hp and I suspect the newer boats suffered a knot or two due the increase in drag at the stern. If you only wanted to cruise at 6 knots (as was the case w most Albin owners) the 27hp 3gm30 Yanmar was great. 1/2gph produced 6 knots. One could cruise up to 9 knots w 35 to 42hp. New engines range from 5 to $10000. My 42hp Mitsu cost $6000. Went to $7000 w all the options I wanted. Volvos, Yanmars and Luggers cost $10 - $12000. Don't know how much the Vetus cost but I suspect fairly high. Westerbeks and Isuzus are mid range to low in price. The Mitsu 42hp from Klassen cost $6K and the same engine from Vetus costs (I'm guessing) about $9K. Beta is an excellent as the base engine is Kabota. Dan Pease just bought a new 38hp Beta for his 30' Willard. If you found an old beat up Albin w very little resale value to protect consider converting to outboard power. A 40hp E-tech or good 4-stroke OB would work very well. Mount the engine on the transom and obviously you'd loose the aft cabin. The OB Albin would be about the only possible true OB trawler.

Thanks guys. Might go used at those prices. There is a beat up Albin at the harbor in down I will ask if he is willing to sell. But might hold off if it is just a hull.

-- Edited by elhewman on Friday 8th of April 2011 10:54:14 PM

Find a big truck reefer dealer. Carrier , who ever.

They have plenty of small 2 or 3 cylinder Yanmar or Kubotas for usually under $500.

These are usually better than the marine stuff as they have huge (10 day unattended) oil pans.

Hooking one to the CPP would not require that much from any machine shop.

I will ask my local if he has a good running takeout, if you wish.

FF,

What is CPP?

Dan

FF your idea sound like a life saver. Getting exited as new ideas pop in my head!

Controllable pitch prop, is what was installed (and hopefully still is there ) when your boat was built.

It is very important if you wish to cruise at 5K and 10MPG!!!

Are you saying that these Albins were fitted with CPPs?** Of what manufacture?* Sabb?

What has become of these units?** What size were they?

Dan

Fred,

WHAT ON EARTH are you talking about?????

"Controllable pitch prop, is what was installed (and hopefully still is there ) when your boat was built."

What boat came equiped w a CPP??

I have a neighbor with a 25 ft , Albin deluxe** (1970's) that has a Norwegan Sabb , and huge 1 cylinder diesel with CPP .

To his dismay the Sabb is almost impossible for parts , and he has been contemplating a Kubbota, tho his current "cure" was a robust OB bracket and a 15 HP Evinrude.

I have been aboard and can confirm the CPP factory installed is still working.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 11th of April 2011 04:59:50 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom