Cheoy Lee Refit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean this as a tremendous compliment, I feel like I'm watching a very good house flipping show. I know some of the shows don't have good reputations as to what they really do but Fixer Upper with the Gaines' in Waco TX is one where everyone is getting what is shown on tv plus some. I love watching their transformations and that's what you're showing us on a boat.

You're doing a tremendous amount of work very well, work that is transforming your boat. To have the vision to take something and see what it can become is a special skill. To be able to make your vision come true is even more. Thanks for sharing it all.

Next was the countertops. I got quartz slabs and had them cut to fit.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348472.824068.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348520.602449.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348722.298616.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348765.374080.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348794.462551.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475348963.653310.jpg
Nearly done

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475349027.704660.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475349237.932437.jpg
And the finished cooktop area. The backsplash is galvanized steel from Home Depot, cut to fit and painted with Awlgrip.

Thanks Mr. B. I appreciate the compliment, and all others who responded also. I have still the fly bridge, the final dry dock, the bow thrust installation and the electronics to show. With all this recent denigration of marine surveyors on this site, it's nice to be able to show the readers that not all surveyors are incompetent and some of us actually have a decent idea what we're talking about and can put our money where our mouths are.

Sorry for the mini rant. Some regular respondents on another thread were ticking me off. I ran a survey company with over 60 employees and we regularly saved our clients multi millions of dollars in cases. To hear all marine surveyors lumped in one category as generally incompetent is frustrating.

Meanwhile back to the topic at hand.

To hear all marine surveyors lumped in one category as generally incompetent is frustrating.

No one likes to hear everyone of their profession, economic level, sex, age, race, ethnic group, national origin, religion, hair color, height, weight, tan, hobby or any other group they might be part of lumped together and all called bad. It's also never true. Similarly, none of the aforementioned groups are universally good either, they all have bad members.

Counter tops and appliances look great. Nothing like having it your way!

Ted

That's a great looking and functional galley. Nice job. :thumb:

Howdy,we own a floating reno show as well.I enjoy the process of restoring and updating the old boats, despite the odd bit of swearing and some blood,sweat and tears.
Thanks for all the photos especially the before and after shots.Let's the wifey realise that we're not the only crazies on the water.
It all looks fantastic so far.
Cheers.

Ok, McGill, now for the facts (just the facts ma'am) ....... You stated that this refit was accomplished for $150k ...... Right? How much of the work did you do yourself ...... I suspect the largest percentage. How about us unskilled wannabes?? Obviously, Sonny was a big part of this as well. For a similar soup to nuts job, do you estimate it would be double the cost? Triple? You've done a great job ...........

Counter tops and appliances look great. Nothing like having it your way!

Ted

Thanks Ted, I read that your boat sets a really high standard, so I appreciate your opinion.

Hey Stornaway, are you Scots? Love to see some pics of the work on your boat. I like the LRC, really was the precursor to the KKs and Nordys in that the Cheoy Lee's were making ocean passages before the others were on the drawing board.

Dispatch, did you buy the CL? Or are you still thinking about it?

Mr D: I haven't even posted half the work that I did yet. It would be impossible to do all this work by myself or even with Sonny's help in one year. As I stated at the beginning of this thread I have med issues that prevent me from doing all but light work. But on the other hand I used very few contractors. My main job was to be a superintendent on the job site. I knew what I wanted to do and made sure that labor knew what it was on a daily or sometimes hourly basis. For the most part I had a three man crew consisting of Sonny and two helpers. One of the helpers was as good at carpentry work as Sonny. When we were shooting paint we brought in another man who works at a body shop as a shooter. So we actually only had him for a couple of days to do topcoat. Lower coats that were to be sanded anyway were shot by my crew.

Their weakness was electrical, mechanical and plumbing. I did a fair bit of that myself. I also hired another live aboard at the marina who is a mechanic for the railroad. I had him for about ten days to do some of the trickier or heavier stuff. He had access at work to the right tools and he made up the heavy gauge wiring for the bow thruster as well as other projects I have not posted about.

The countertop was installed by professionals although I sourced the Quartz and brought it to them for cutting, polishing and installation

Fuel polishing with the centrifuge was done by a contractor. (1,000 gallons cost me $400)

I spent a lot of time sourcing material, picking up and delivering.

Electronics were professionally installed. New canvas work was contracted. The Bimini was refurbished by myself and friends with a Sailright.

If the whole job were to be entirely subbed out to a shipyard with contractors I would guess the cost would at least double and the cost would exceed the newly restored value of the boat. For an example I got a shipyard quote for installation of the bow thruster for $16,000. My cost all in to do it myself with my crew was $5,200 inclusive of the machine and parts.

This is a great thread!

Thanks for taking the time to detail your efforts. It really is striking, the before and afters are simply great!

Please continue sharing your tremendous updates.

Impressive work/results Mr McG! being the "General contractor/walking boss/snapper" or what ever you choose to call it is the way to get it done in less than a life time ! Excellent job.

The key to longevity for Awlgrip is not to wax.

At least not with old school waxes.

Bill as mentioned before Collonite is what we use. Definitely not old school wax. Each time it's applied, the remains of the old layer is dissolved. Been done at least 10 times to the charter boat. Still looks great! I lose track of time, but believe the top side paint is now 12 or 13 years old.

A good wax shield means most of the time no soap need to clean the boat. Given a choice between modern wax and soap, I'll take the Collonite.

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks Ted, I read that your boat sets a really high standard, so I appreciate your opinion.

:blush: Every time I walk down the dock to her, she always puts a smile on my face. It's easy to spend time and money keeping her purrrdy when she makes me grin from ear to ear!

Ted

Some recent pics of the working galley:

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475609649.496097.jpg
The cutting board by the window was made from the scrap piece that was discarded when the hole for the sink was made. I didn't ask for it but the marble craftsman made it for me as a gift.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475609854.247178.jpg
Plenty room to work.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475609901.832798.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475609930.593044.jpg
You can see here how the sheet metal back splash was brought around on the third side. And the magnetic church key is waiting, begging to be used.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610089.949615.jpg
This pic shows the slide out shelves in the mini pantry.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610155.201058.jpg
And a cutlery/utensil drawer above

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610214.861987.jpg
And facing that is the cupboard with slide out stainless rack for pots and pans

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610324.456881.jpg
Below this area in the corner, the locker was inaccessible due to the depth. Do you recall the lockers that were agains this wall that were up high?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610481.254962.jpg
Well, on the other side of the bulkhead is the pilot house. We cut into it and re-used the locker doors to gain access to the shelves in the corner.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475610634.708984.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom