Your trawler's range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
nomadwilly wrote:
.. No need for our trawlers to be "long range" either. I think you have trawlers and passagemakers mixed up. Most all trawlers have fuel so readily available long range is not part of the equation. Again, you're right about the turbo engine.* ...
*So, what's*everyone's trawler's range?* The Coot has two fuel tanks totaling 390 gallons.* That's easily enough to go from San Francisco Bay to Puget Sound non-stop.* Nevertheless, 99.9% of my anticipated trips will be under 200 miles, round trip.* It will be pleasant not to have to fuel frequently.* I don't anticipate any transoceanic trips by trawler; the Coot isn't designed for that and I have done seven by cruise ship.

img_3243_0_cd9e20aff8e4e2963c7e0abbc92a5b68.jpg

About 800 miles. Single 135hp Perkins and 300g fuel capacity.

Around 6,000 miles, maybe a bit more.* We burn about 2.75 gph at 7 knots plus a bit depending on how clean her bottom is and carry 2,400 gallons of fuel.

I'm not sure I know what a 'trawler' is, or if there is an official definition.* Seems to me there are three types of engine powered private vessels:* 1. Recreational boats that range from 10' to something, that are not really designed for heavy weather but can venture into the ocean at their own risk. * The Albin 28 I had would have fit that category.* 2. Coastal cruisers that have the stuff to handle reasonably adverse weather, and have ranges that will get them 1,000 miles down the road.* They can be most any size and vary wildly in how robust they are.* 3. Passagemakers that are by definition trawler designs that are built to cross oceans and carry the fuel and systems to handle that job in safety.

I've got a feeling this opinion will somehow turn out to be controversial....

Volunteer held 1100 gal, in flat water 2.3 gph @7.7 kts... about 3600 mile range. I never used more than 400 gallons per year.. so for what I was doing with the boat 500 gallons would have been plenty. I think our GB 36 held 400g. I never used that much in a year.

The latest boat makes my butt pucker every time I advance the throttles... 30 GPH at cruise... oh well it's just a part of the boat budget!

HOLLYWOOD

4400nm on our Defever, 1100 gallons, 6knots at 1400rpm and 1.5 gph.

We can travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles on 700 gallons of fuel.* If we back out the generator and add a reserve, we're good for 2,000 plus miles.* We turn the fuel over ~twice/year.* The last fuel we took on was in Acapulco at ~$3.30/gallon.* The next fuel stop will be Panama or*Columbia.* Right now we are in El Salvador and fuel is ~$4.40/gallon.

Does this make Hobo a passagemaker or are we still a trawler?
confuse.gif

-- Edited by Larry M on Saturday 9th of April 2011 09:29:52 PM

Larry M wrote:Does this make Hobo a passagemaker or are we still a trawler?
confuse.gif

You're a passagemaker in my book Larry!

About 700 miles for Willy. Ridiculous. I would be better off w half the fuel. When I ordered new fuel tanks (old ones were 50 gallons each) I asked for 35 to 40 gallons each. They just duped the old tanks. 50 gal ea. Some trawlers are long range cruisers and can use 1000 mi to 4000 mi ranges but most all trawlers almost never use more than a 200 mile range. I think this whole thing about long range for a trawler is stupid. I'd rather have fresh fuel and a lighter boat. Not to mention more room. Range could be a bragging rights issue. Like a big heavy engine and a low rpm. The fact that nobody has responded w a 2 to 300 mile range suggests my theory may be correct.

In my mind, a trawler can be a "passage maker" if properly designed and have a very*long-range.* Thus, a passage maker can be (or unless it is a sailboat or a motorsailer) a trawler.** Almost all of us here*have a trawler (slow and efficient)*or a sedan cruiser (fast).* But I'd wish we'd stay away from "what kind of boat you/I have" but rather our boats' ranges and fuel capacities and what we think about it.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 9th of April 2011 10:05:49 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
Some trawlers are long range cruisers and can use 1000 mi to 4000 mi ranges but most all trawlers almost never use more than a 200 mile range. I think this whole thing about long range for a trawler is stupid. I'd rather have fresh fuel and a lighter boat.
WESTERLY has 360 gal for a cruising range of around 1000nm.* BUT, when heading to/from SE Alaska, I will usually top-off prior to the open water because the boat rides better with*more weight.* This means top-off at Port McNeil/Ketchikan NB,*and*Ketchikan/Campbell River SB.*

When cruising Puget Sound/SJI/Gulf Islands,*we only*maintain between 30-60% fuel onboard for better mileage.* Fresh fuel and a lighter boat, and the capability to go 1000nm if needed.* Also, I don't have to consider fueling at hole-in-the-wall fuel docks.

Obviously dependant on sea state*but based on a sistership's figures in calm seas (2'-3')*we are hoping for 3000nm plus at 7 knots with 10% reserve.*Our total tankage is*950g.

I carry ~240 gallons and a range of about 400 miles with about a 40% reserve. Good enough for me.

SeaHorse II wrote:Larry M wrote:Does this make Hobo a passagemaker or are we still a trawler?
confuse.gif

You're a passagemaker in my book Larry!
*No disagreement here!

Navigator wrote:
Obviously dependant on sea state*but based on a sistership's figures in calm seas (2'-3')*we are hoping for 3000nm plus at 7 knots with 10% reserve.*Our total tankage is*950g.
*Another passage maker.

I carry 2900 lts fuel use 12 lt/hr at 8 knots that gives me a range of 1933 NM with a 10% reserve.
That does not take in to consideration generator use.
I also carry a 500 lt deck bladder that will give me an extra 333 NMiles.
I usually don't use it all but in a 2/3 week reef trip from home will get home with about 400 lts in the tanks.
But when cruising and anchoring out it gives us good range.

Benn

My range is only about 450miles.* Carry 150 gallons in two tanks.* Seems to work out. There are*lots of fueling options in the Northeast.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Sunday 10th of April 2011 08:43:12 AM

At our normal slow-cruising speed of 6.5 knots, our little cruiser with 110 gal diesel tanks maxes out at about 350 nm with a 20% reserve.* This is enough to give us pretty decent flexibility wandering around the Inside Passage.

At a planing cruise of 17-18 knots (which we now do only occasionally) our range would be more like 150 nm.

Slow is good.

-- Edited by RCook on Sunday 10th of April 2011 07:32:52 AM

200 gallons diesel.
1.4 g/hr burn producing 7.5 knots assuming no current.
probably around 900 nautical mile range with a 10% buffer.

just trawling around the pnw

my goal is to fill up in the states with lower fuel taxes and not have to add any Canadian diesel for the season.

I usually burn a full load of fuel each season.

Larry M wrote:
We can travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles on 700 gallons of fuel.* If we back out the generator and add a reserve, we're good for 2,000 plus miles.* We turn the fuel over ~twice/year.* The last fuel we took on was in Acapulco at ~$3.30/gallon.* The next fuel stop will be Panama or*Columbia.* Right now we are in El Salvador and fuel is ~$4.40/gallon.

Does this make Hobo a passagemaker or are we still a trawler?
confuse.gif

-- Edited by Larry M on Saturday 9th of April 2011 09:29:52 PM
*In my book if you've got paravanes then your a passagemaker

We burn about 3 1/2 to 4 gallons per hour at 7 knots including the use of our generator for power when not at a dock.

Our fuel tanks hold about 750 gallons, so our range is from 1300 to 1500 nm.*

We are not planning on crossing any oceans!!

1350 GALLONS...10% RESERVE leaves me with just over 1200 gallons.

3gph at 7.5kts Including the generator, 3000nm range running the genset the whole time and leaving a reserve.....we have only put fuel onboard once in two years but have been doing alot of work to the boat as well. ....

Full cruise is 15 knots, but we spend much of our time at 8.5 knots, which gives us about four hundred miles with a hundred gallon reserve.

The USCG recommends one third of your capacity be kept for reserve. Seems like overkill, but since it poses no problem to us with a three hundred gallons total, we stick with that.

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 10th of April 2011 01:16:35 PM

I have 150 gal. and burns 1.3 gal/Hr. so i am good for 700 miles at 6 1/2 knots.

135 hp perkins. 300+ gallons. Good enough range for me. :)

DavidM wrote:
My Cape Dory 28 burns about 9 gph (it's a gasser) at 12 kts. With its 100 gallon tanks this gives me a range of about 120 NM. But our cruising envelope is only about 30 miles.

David
*I love the Cape Dory 28. We would have one today if it weren't for the previous owner lacking the ability to decide if he really wanted to sell. That one had a 175 horse Volvo. I believe she was an eleven knot boat.

4 tanks, (2) 500 gallon and (2) 300 gallon tanks that are normally empty for a total of 1600 gallons.* I get about 1.8 miles per gallon at 9.5 knts for a total of 2880 miles.

The Eagle holds 1200 gallons and gets about 2 mpg or 2400 miles.* The last couple of years we averaged less than 50 gallons cruising but 400+ gallons for heating.*** The main 671 has a 5 kw cruise gen, so the main gen. is run only to power the hydraulic bow thruster/get home and when the dock power is out.* **We usually have 600 gallons max as the tanks are 32 years old so there is room to transfer fuel if one happens to start leaking.*
Besides most boats do not have the capability to cruise the total range they are capable of and/or need the range to a fuel dock.* Even in BC Canada and Alaska there are fuel dock ever couple hundred miles.* So for some of us total range is not as important as total fuel used.* ******

I can carry 360 gallons. At 2 gph, and 6.5 knots that equates to over 1000 nm.

Waaaay to much fuel in my opinion. 150-200 gallons would be more appropriate.

jleonard wrote:
I can carry 360 gallons. At 2 gph, and 6.5 knots that equates to over 1000 nm.

Waaaay to much fuel in my opinion. 150-200 gallons would be more appropriate.

*So, can you*put only 150-200 gallons in?* It will be cheaper than 300 gallons!

Just kidding a little, Jay.* I know a lot of boaters try to keep their fuel tanks topped off for various reasons, but this thread is long enough already.* But we use the boat every month.* And every month, the tank sumps are drained (takes about 30 seconds).* The tank sumps are also drained 24 hours or so after fueling.* Have never had any water issues, and*no additives are needed.

So what does operating between 30-60% capacity do for us?* When we operate at 45% average capacity compared with operating at*80% average capacity,*we are pushing*over 900 lbs less weight through the water.* This is very near .45 knots difference in speed for this hull, around a 6% improvement.* This means a savings of around $300/year in fuel expenses.* That's worthwhile for us.

But when we go out into open waters, more weight means more comfort, so we fill her up.

I think our Krogen is a passagemaker (about 3000 nm) but I am not. I wish I did not own more diesel than I can burn in a year. On the other hand, I like not having to think about where my next fill up will be. Aren't these boats closer to trollers than trawlers?

Back
Top Bottom