Good Morning from WI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongStoryGB36

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Story
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36' Classic
Hi, Russ here

I too have been reading for awhile and thought it was time to join. We are making the jump to the "Dark Side" and leaving many years of sailing to purchase our retirement vessel a Grand Banks Classic 36. Yesterday was the survey and sea trial. Things went mostly well, I could not believe how smooth the boat ran, how quiet it was and I was surprised when we hit 10 kts at the full power run. (the boat is a 1977 with twin 120's) after 35 years of sailing even the relaxed 6-7 kts seemed like we were flying. Now I have to refresh myself on driving twins after years away from the helm of a power boat.

Except for the wind, and the rain, and the small craft warning..(we boat out of Sturgeon Bay, well Little Sturgeon Bay WI) it was a good trial, until questions came up from the surveyor about the engines. Maybe the intro is not a good place to ask these but his concerns and the back story are:

Boat has been used last 2 years as a floating cabin by the PO's. They are much older and she does not get run much besides started weekly. Okay so start up had some blue smoke / white smoke which I see is common, little bit of sunburned fuel on the water from the exhaust. As expected there was white smoke as the engines heated... they got stable at about 160-180 degrees and all but the slightest trace of blue remained for the remainder of the sea trial (we did send in oil samples to be tested) the real issue came after the full power run up - - it might have just been to much, and with the boat maxed out on hull speed to much fuel was going in but we pretty much fogged for bayflies with gray - black smoke rolling for both exhausts. When we returned to idle things seemed fine with only a slight blue smoke from the starboard engine, port was clean. I know there Ford engines are a little different.. do they have regular injectors at the head, or is that function from that injector pump block? There is also a ticking that was not there on a cold engine (oil pressure seems good both engines) from the port engine that to my untrained ear sounds like a valve or lifter... it did not sound like a knock and the surveyor is concerned its a rod which I find odd. Overall we like the boat, but he has now suggested calling in a second person to do a full mechanical / engine survey.

Any idea on the above? Could the black smoke just be blowing things out from lack of use.. ? I know the engine has solid lifters, and they should be lashed from time to time, could that be my noise?

I hope in a week to be a full time person on the Forum as the proud owners of this neat older boat...

Your help is appreciated..I spent years on a Catalina forum and the information shared was priceless...

Thanks

Russ
(From what we hope is m/v Long Story

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a mechanical survey if you are concerned about the engines, I personally wouldn't purchase a boat with out getting both a hull and mechanical survey... Another question is why is owning a trawler the "dark side" ?

Hi Russ,

Welcome to Grand Banks. Have you visited the Grand Banks Owners forum yet? Great resource for anything GB. We own a 1974 36 with the same engines and they smoke a little at startup then quickly stop. We have not run her at full rpm for very long so I cannot give you feedback about that. The ticking sound could possibly be a valve adjustment. Pretty easy to adjust them if you follow the correct sequence and have the long feeler gauges to do it. I took a class from Bob Smith at Trawler Fest and adjusted mine. American Diesel is the go to place for help with these engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both much

I appreciate the quick response... :dance:

BTW the dark side comment comes from our sailing friends who were surpised with our move after all these years on blow boats, (have owned five so far)

We look at it as the comfortable way to boat into retirement...and we still have a sail..:thumb:

Russ

I applaud the surveyor in advising that you'd reached his level of expertise and should bring in a mechanical surveyor. You're talking a huge variation in potential costs depending on what is found with the engines. Take another set of fluid samples when he comes too. See if any difference.

BTW the dark side comment comes from our sailing friends who were surpised with our move after all these years on blow boats, (have owned five so far)

Russ
It may not take you long to realize that the dark side is 'under the shade of the boom'. Your sailing friends just don't know that yet!

Welcome!

How many hours on the engines?
Not run for 2 years except for a weekly start and (?)idle, is likely to gum up the works a little.
A mechanical survey is a good idea, is there a genset to check too? With the sellers permission the survey mechanic might even fix the problem there and then.
Check if the raw water pumps have been replaced with American Diesel updated versions, the drive can fail unexpectedly in the originals, with an overheat unless you catch it quickly.

Well update - the seller had the valves lashed and the mechanic said there was a problem in #1 cylinder. Did a compression test and he was right, almost no compression compared to the other 5. They now want to pull the head, and check valves and do a valve job. Broker is waiting for feedback from seller if he is taking this step, or is holding firm. It has cost me out of pocket so far, but not as much as if I had bought the boat and had to pay for all this work.

Will stay in touch as the story unfolds

Well update - the seller had the valves lashed and the mechanic said there was a problem in #1 cylinder. Did a compression test and he was right, almost no compression compared to the other 5. They now want to pull the head, and check valves and do a valve job. Broker is waiting for feedback from seller if he is taking this step, or is holding firm. It has cost me out of pocket so far, but not as much as if I had bought the boat and had to pay for all this work.

AS an alternative you could accept the boat as is, but deduct the estimate (plus a cushion) for repairs from the agreed on price. This may be attractive to seller (not having to deal with) and financially beneficial to you as well.

Yours is one of the stories of when a survey works to perfection. Costly, but most cost effective insurance policy you ever bought.

Well it is official - all the survey stuff has been addressed and after a valve job on one engine by seller - we are the very happy owners of our 1978 Grand Banks 36 Classic... m/v Long Story ...

See you on the water this summer
Russ & Kerry
(Millie too)

Well it is official - all the survey stuff has been addressed and after a valve job on one engine by seller - we are the very happy owners of our 1978 Grand Banks 36 Classic... m/v Long Story ...

See you on the water this summer
Russ & Kerry
(Millie too)

So, how much money did the survey save you?

You don't have to answer, but so glad you got it and then were able to get the owner to do the valve job.

WTG, LS! Congrats! :thumb:

Now you have no excuse for not posting pics of your new girl on this thread. :popcorn:

With the work and another reduction in selling price, I would have to estimate the savings between $ 5,000.00 - $ 7,000.00. Between the survey, oil analysis, and the engine mechanic I have about $ 1,200.00 into the survey, so good return on investment so far.

Congratulations fellow Great Laker, and welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard! And welcome to the light of the dark side... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom