Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puddlepirate

Hello Everyone

I've been lurking for a few months now, and figured it was time to join and start asking questions.

I'm just beginning my search for a potential livaboard boat. I am in the coast guard, and currently stationed in south Florida, but will be moving in the next year to an undetermined location. For now I'm just looking, I can't make any plans until I find out my next duty station.

Is there anybody else that has experience living aboard while being on active duty and dealing with the somewhat frequent moving around that comes with the territory?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Chris

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Can't help you with the living aboard issue but "I can't make any plans until I find out my next duty station." is a prudent decision. I know a young man (USCG as well) who was posted in FL for a while. He had been transferred from DULUTH, MN. Not quite a mecca for year round boating nor live aboard particularly in February.

giphy.gif

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your service!

Ted

Welcome!

Living aboard can be cheaper than ashore. But not always.

Unless you're getting out before then, you'll never be sure where you're going to be next. Shipping a boat is expensive, and you can't be sure you'll be stationed somewhere that's practical to live aboard. You'd have a better chance with a camper or motor home. At least until you are in a position to make some long-term plans.

The other option is a trailerable boat, but most people would not consider those big enough for a liveaboard. Somewhere in the 28-foot range you might find something you could tolerate, and still truck around. If you could squeeze into a 24-footer (pre-2006 Bayliner 245 comes to mind) then you could trailer it yourself without a "wide load" permit. You'd be "roughing it", but your rack space might still be larger than your mates on a cutter!

Hello Everyone

I've been lurking for a few months now, and figured it was time to join and start asking questions.

I'm just beginning my search for a potential livaboard boat. I am in the coast guard, and currently stationed in south Florida, but will be moving in the next year to an undetermined location. For now I'm just looking, I can't make any plans until I find out my next duty station.

Is there anybody else that has experience living aboard while being on active duty and dealing with the somewhat frequent moving around that comes with the territory?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Chris

Chris: Thanks for serving in the USCG. You'll never hear a word of complaint from me about what the Coast Guard does.

As others say, it's prudent to wait 'til your next assignment is settled before committing to a boat, but it's never too soon to start looking and learning. That way you'll be able to recognize what you're looking for when you see it.

One other thought is that, if you transfer to a location where your boat isn't a good fit, maybe someone moving into the Group or Sector that you are leaving behind might like to consider taking over your live-aboard situation for the duration of their tour. My experience of renting to Coasties has always been great. If the right person came along, the rent and responsibilities could be set at a level that might satisfy both parties.

Thanks for the welcome messages!

Fortunately my job in the CG offers me a fairly large number of jobs that i can put in for when i transfer, and i plan on only putting in for jobs south of I-10 for the most part. I understand the "needs of the service" can change things, but for the most part i don't foresee a need to ship the boat between duty stations down the road. The farthest that I could see needing to move the boat would be up to the Chesapeake Bay, which would be a doable trip in the time that i would have off for a normal move anyway.

Chris,
Thank you sir for your service. As one Vet to another, I applaud your desire to find a boat to live on, and it could be a rewarding experiance. I'm sure others have or are doing it, so don't feel alone. Just don't go for the 30 foot sailboat at rock bottom price. Your social life with the ladies will suffer.
Best of luck in your search!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom