Chesapeake Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes.

And in general you can see where folks are by looking near their avatar or at their signature blocks...

-Chris

Welcome to the forum!

Crisfield, MD until the beginning of October. Then heading back to FL.

Ted

Thanks

Thanks for replying. I'm new to this site. Don't have a boat right now. 1600 ton Masters license, looking for a boat that needs a Captain.

Commercial or Recreational?

Upper Chesapeake Bay here

Yes, pretty close in a straight line, but by water we are about 70 miles from the bay on the Potomac river.

DC and Magothy River here!

We are on the Bay in the summer but go south in the winter. Presently in Annapolis but have made 2.5 full trips up and down the Bay since we got back from FL. Been to 25-26 places since June 1. Headed to the Wye River tomorrow.

I'm about 60 feet from the Bay.:D

Same as Carolena....Up the Potomac.

Boat home port is Middle River off Chesapeake currently dock in Crab Alley creek off Eastern Bay at Island View Marina. Crabbing and fishing is far better in this area then Middle River this time of year.

Boat home port is Middle River off Chesapeake currently dock in Crab Alley creek off Eastern Bay at Island View Marina. Crabbing and fishing is far better in this area then Middle River this time of year.

David - any trouble with sea grasses in Crab Alley Creek? I understand that it was a banner year for grasses there. I'm at the head of Middle River and the quantity of grass was amazing. Crabbed with my Dad in Crab Alley Creek years ago. Nice area.

mike

I just spent a couple days in Eastern Bay and the amount of sea grass didn't seem any higher than usual for the Chesapeake.

I am in the Back river near LAFB in Hampton.
We have plenty of sea grases along the shorelines, but the dead zones killed many fish. And once they are gone they do not come back for years.

In the summer loads of small Fiddler crabs, by the hundreds of thousands along the shore lines.

I wonder when the fish will return. I have not caught a flounder or spot in over 10 years.
About the only thing around are small Croakers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...0c2024-2fc2-11e4-9b98-848790384093_story.html

Last edited:
David - any trouble with sea grasses in Crab Alley Creek? I understand that it was a banner year for grasses there. I'm at the head of Middle River and the quantity of grass was amazing. Crabbed with my Dad in Crab Alley Creek years ago. Nice area.

mike

Sea grasses seemed normal in Crab Alley, Eastern Bay and Miles River. Nothing like the quantity in Middle River where grasses along shore(2-3ft) appear very heavy with "algae bloom " surface compared to eastern shore rivers above the Bay Bridge. Crab Alley creek continues to live up to it name producing Chesapeake crabs.

Algae bloom was an understatement this year. I'm in a deeper slip now, but the grass in my older slip (6' deep) was up to the water's surface. Healthy grass means a better crab harvest, but bad news to sea strainers.

Back
Top Bottom