1973 Fales 30 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlejoe

I'm looking at a 73 Fales 30. Before I make the 7 hour drive to look in person can someone tell me alittle about these boats?? It has a 53hp Westerbeke engine. I have seen afew bad pictures. So I can't tell a lot about the boat. Guy said its solid boat. It's been in fresh water since late 70's. It started life in the Bahamas. Only second owner since the 70's when they brought it to the Midwest. I can't find anything about it online. Would love to know more before I make the trip.....

Thanks
Littlejoe

Never heard of them, but looking at google where there is lots of pix, it looks a bit like a Willard with a slight clipper bow, almost like a Monterey Clipper.

I looked at one in Bay City 15 months ago. Maybe the same one?

I'm looking at a 73 Fales 30. Before I make the 7 hour drive to look in person can someone tell me alittle about these boats?? It has a 53hp Westerbeke engine. I have seen afew bad pictures. So I can't tell a lot about the boat. Guy said its solid boat. It's been in fresh water since late 70's. It started life in the Bahamas. Only second owner since the 70's when they brought it to the Midwest. I can't find anything about it online. Would love to know more before I make the trip.....

Thanks
Littlejoe

My boat Boomarang is a 73 Fales 30 Caribe. Check out the Willard | Fales Builder Forum and you will find quite a bit about them. If you need more, PM me and I'll try to answer your questions :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 323
I looked at one in Bay City 15 months ago. Maybe the same one?
I can't find a lot about them. I know they used the Willard 30 molds on the east coast. Then things sent bad between the 2 companies and Fales kept building the boats under the Fales name. I can't find much more than that..

that's the one... What did you think???

I thought it was rough all around. I really had my heart set on a Willard 30, and this is the east coast clone, so I was fully prepared to buy it, but after spending a couple of hours going through the boat was quite happy to walk away.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Willard 30

Hi Jeff, are you still looking for a Willard 30?
I have a beautiful Willard Vega Nomad 30, I upgraded extensively and
awlgripped the whole boat last year. Let me know whether you are interested.
Thanks, Gerhard.

Attachments

• Thursday's Child's photo.jpg
    Thursday's Child's photo.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 393
Fales was a "partnership" wherein a RI company was licensed to to use the Willard 30 mold. As I remember, they didn't pay their royalty fees and the "partnership" ended quickly but not b/4 a new 33' mold was made in RI. Then the whole thing folded. The 36' is the only Wm. Garden designed hull at Willard and by extension Fales.

Interesting as 50 years ago I worked as captain for John Fales and was at the Willard Yard when his 65 MV was being built, then delivered the boat around to Florida. I got off in Florida to return to Calif.

I had heard that Mr.. Fales was producing the Willard 30 on the east coast although I never was aboard one. Willard Boat Works was just finishing the mold for the 30 when I was at their yard. To give you some idea how long ago this was, Willard was located on Baker St. in Costa Mesa, CA. at the time, now it is all houses and business building.

Thanks, Gerhard.

Anchors, windshields, and fly bridges argument/debate be damned!!!:facepalm: This is a beauty to behold.:flowers: Were it near my heart would be pulsating at a highly accelerated rate.:smitten: A perfect picture of well designed craft. Wow!!:dance:

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks, Gerhard.

I ended up with a nice Mainship 34 and have been happy with it. Where is your boat?

My boat is in Fort Pierce, Florida.
Enjoy your Mainship. It shows also very nice and clean!

Back
Top Bottom