Looking for an AIS Receiver to Hookup to a Raymarine C120W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

Our Merdian 490 PH has a 2007 Raymarine 120W Chartplotter and was wondering if anyone can recommend a make/model of AIS Receiver that might be the most compatible with the C120W? Also, would I hook up the AIS to a wire on the chartplotter display harness, or do I need to look for a black box somewhere under the flybridge helm or the pilothouse helm? My only VHF is located on the flybridge.
Thanks for any help!!

As the C120W appears to be a nmea 0183 network device, you will need an AIS with a 0183 output such as the Garmin AIS 600. What is not clear to me is if you can program preferences through a non garmin plotter. The AIS 600 is essentially a black box.

The other option is to add a full function AIS transponder with a nmea 0183 output to go into your C120W. It appears the Icom MA-500TR will do that. My only minor dislike of Icom in general is there instruction material can be confusing. The online manual indicates a nmea output without specifically listing it as a nmea 0183. So, if your interested, you should call Icom to confirm that it's compatible with the C120W.

Brain Fart. :facepalm: I have the Simrad AI50 on my charter boat. It's a stand alone transponder with nmea 0183 & 2000 outputs. Mine isn't networked with my plotters as they're too old. Forgot it has nmea outputs. This unit works very well.

Ted

Last edited:
The C120W should have a SeaTalkNG connection on the back which is essentially NMEA 2000 with a proprietary Raymarine connector From a networking standpoint, that is the easiest way to go. That opens up other choices. Milltech Marine (Welcome to Milltech Marine - your AIS experts) has a good selection of AIS receivers and transponders with different network interfaces.

Tom

My standard horizon vhf is my AIS receiver and hooks up to my Garmin.

Options-

Em-trak B will give you both transmit and receive capability for a great price (around $400 + dedicated antenna).

Standard Horizon's GX series radios offer NMEA 0183 AIS output for about the same price as above.

Thank you all for the replies. Will check them all out. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom