Sea level Marmots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
So, for some reason, I've started seeing Marmots along the road to our marina this year. Not just one, but several from a great big hulking brute to smaller individuals of various sizes.

I'm pretty sure they aren't transients crossing from alpine zones on either side of the valley because they are collecting huge mouthfuls of grass; presumably for winter storage.

Is it normal for Marmots to live at sea level?

Attachments

• Marmot on Kitamaat Village Road.jpg
    Marmot on Kitamaat Village Road.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 112
I saw one in Ocean Falls, close to sea level.

We have them running along the sandy bluffs overlooking the Cook Inlet on the Kenai Peninsula so yes I can confirm they do live at sea level.

Tom

Are they good to eat?

Okay, so it's not abnormal. Thanks for chiming in. Even you RT ;)

What's weird is that I've been traveling that road for hiking, sea kayaking, or visiting friends for over 40 years and have never seen one until this year.

Must be a change in their alpine habitat that's gotten them to make the big move down to the valley floor...either not enough food up there, or so much that there's been a population explosion and some were forced out for lack of territory.

We have them running along the sandy bluffs overlooking the Cook Inlet on the Kenai Peninsula so yes I can confirm they do live at sea level.

Tom

To be fair, your sea level is probably our sub-alpine, ecosystem wise.

The things one learns about on TT! Looked them up and while I have heard of them, I don't believe I have ever seen one. Apparently considered a large ground squirrel, the largest in fact. Vancouver Is and the Olympic Peninsula have their own sub-species. Who knew? Whistler, BC was named after their shrill whistle according to Wiki as a hopeful means of drawing attention, BC I mean not the critter.

Steve W: probably about like a nutria, definitely like a groundhog (same family). I'd put some Tony Chachere's on it and they would be fine.

They do look like a Nutria except with a furry tail vs. the rat tail of Nutria. I haven't tried Nutria yet, friends tell me they are pretty good but need lots of prep and there isn't much meat on them once cleaned.
There are so many Nutria in Louisiana their burrows cause damage tp the levee systems, there is a bounty on them now, bring in a tail, get $5.00.

Steve: The gator and Nutria Populations have always had an inverse relationship. Take the gator hunting shows off of TV and restrict the season somewhat then the Nutria population may decline. That being said $5.00 for some tail is probably pretty cheap.

What's weird is that I've been traveling that road for hiking, sea kayaking, or visiting friends for over 40 years and have never seen one until this year.

Must be a change in their alpine habitat that's gotten them to make the big move down to the valley floor...either not enough food up there, or so much that there's been a population explosion and some were forced out for lack of territory.

Yep. Also it's not do much sea level as it's climate. Vegetation changes, possibly as it gets a bit drier.

They follow the food and ratty looking females in heat. Just like other rodents. As JD alluded, Ocean Falls docks and surroundings are a literal infestation. One thing they do not like are Jack Russell terriers and vica versa. Their odor may drive your terrier's genes nuts, baffling many owners.

And shame on you GFC for suggesting .22s, what scope works best in the dark? :angel:

There may also have been a decrease in a predator species...

Marmots phooey. We are getting grizzly bears wandering about the Sunshine Coast now! That's definitely keeping me out of the woods. The advice in a local paper says if attacked by a grizzly, you are supposed to play dead. No problem, you will be.

Marmots phooey. We are getting grizzly bears wandering about the Sunshine Coast now! That's definitely keeping me out of the woods. The advice in a local paper says if attacked by a grizzly, you are supposed to play dead. No problem, you will be.

Well, here's how ya deal with them bears:

https://youtu.be/CVS1UfCfxlU

Marty....................

They make nice targets for a .22.

Big white hunter eh?

That's a cannon to a rodent.

Marmot steak dosn't have much of a ring to it.

Shame on you GFC.

Marty, That's really funny! There are a bunch more of those. I'm going to have to watch them all.

You can aim a thread in one direction, but you never truly know where it's going to go!

So Marmite is produced by the "Nut House"? What would you put it on?

Back
Top Bottom