Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
My Prairie 36 has 2 toilets with each one connected to a Lecrta/San Marine Sanitation Device (MSD). Each MSD output hose is connected to a seacock/thru hole then overboard. I'm in a No Discharge Zone so I can't use the toilets.

So I'm planning to install a holding tank. My initial idea was to go from each of the MSDs to a "Y" valve with one leg going overboard as they are now and the other leg into the holding tank. The holding tank output would go to another "Y" valve with one leg going to a macerator and then overboard and the other leg going to a deck pump out.

Then I remembered how much I dislike "Y" valves in a sewage system. Especially when they fail. So I have decided not to use any "Y" valves and go from the MSDs directly to the holding tank with 2 separate outputs from the tank. One output of the tank to the macerator and the other to the deck pump out.

I wanted to keep the MSDs because the sewage sanitation starts just a couple of feet from each toilet and then goes into the holding tank already sanitized. But now I'm not sure if I want to keep the MSDs onboard.

Is the additional power consumption, maintenance, etc. of the MSDs worth their benefit? I like the idea of being able to dump the holding tank without having to go 3 miles out or finding a pump out station.

And the Admiral thinks the thought of carrying around sanitized waste verses raw sewage, is better. But I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh some of the other issues. Anyone been through this exercise? What are your thoughts?

You are in a no discharge area now, but will your normal cruising grounds allow the MSD? For a while I was considering adding a Lectrosan to my sailboat. At the time Peggy helped explain some of the best ways to do it. My memory sucks but I believe that she recommended the use of a Y valve between the head and MSD which would direct the waste to either the MSD or the holding tank.

The problem that I see with directing the treated waste to the holding tank is that while the waste would be treated, it wouldn't be sterile. If the waste sat in the holding tank you would still need to pump out the holding tank rather than discharge it (inside the 3 mile limit). Beyond the regulatory compliance issue, I am not sure that the Lectrosan would function properly when not in a NDZ if its output goes to the holding tank rather than overboard.

Hopefully Peggy will jump in and set me straight.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote