What form of transportation do you use at port?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're looking for a good folding cart to carry groceries back to the boat, try one of these. Some friends have one and it's great. About $65 on Amazon.

81I3IZ61ryL._SY355_.jpg

GFC,

do you have a link to that one? Suspect it would be great to hitch to the back of a bike.

Walking works for me, if too long a distance I'll take a cab or courtesy car if available. Otherwise rent a car, usually Enterprise has good prices plus will pick up and drop you off.

His and Hers mountain bikes with folding baskets each side of rear fenders. Record to date of grocery toting, $165 worth, but had to use the handle bars and baskets !

After riding many crappy folding bikes and replacing many badly rusted conventional bikes we bought two full size Trek District's, aircraft aluminum frames, Carbon fiber forks, no gears and belt drive ... no chains to rust.

My 5'2, 120lb. (don't tell her I told you) wife can lift both of them at the same time, one in each hand. They are about 7 years old now and like new.

We rode them from the harbour to dinner (in the rain) at the Blue Rose Inn in Cape May tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,711
"they became too much of a target so we go rid of them."

Used GIRLS bikes are far less likely to grow legs.

And use the NYC concept Show Sh*t,

rattle can the bike with pink or yellow paint , right over the rust , and you will spend less time chaining them up.

At Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes this weekend, a guy was spotted using his davit to unload his Harley from the cockpit of his boat. I would have loved to have seen him ride that up the ramp.

At Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes this weekend, a guy was spotted using his davit to unload his Harley from the cockpit of his boat. I would have loved to have seen him ride that up the ramp.

We saw something similar in Solomons, MD. Not a Harley, but a motorcycle of some sort. I watched him roll it back down the ramp. He had had a few drinks and I was worried but he didn't fall off the edge.

I buy a new (cheap) bike every year. I have found that a "girls" 26" with a rigid frame to be the best. Rigid frame to accommodate a heavy basket frame, 26" because it fits well on the bus rack. Girls so I don't need to do a high kick to get over that previously mentioned rear cargo basket. I usually find a bike like this at about $50-85. I figure the use I get in a year equals the normal life time of these bikes, and they do rust out. I tried "Rust free" and more expensive bikes, but they fell apart just as fast. I actually had a crank rust until it broke internally on an expensive bike in under a year. And, Yes, I do take care of them, liberal use of lithium grease and a wipe down every morning.

Last edited:
I did some relief work for a buddy on his yacht, it was owned by a Harley dealer and generally carried a half dozen Harley's in the specially built lazz.
I've also carried my personal, then new, Honda V65 superbike several times on the upper deck, and another time did a season with a disposable Yamaha 500 out back.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1478029573.245597.jpg

My going ashore bike. Has a 300W motor in the front wheel and lithium batteries good for 20 miles that get me home if I have pedaled too far. The bike also folds with a center frame hinge and lock. It is all aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Re bikes. Folding small frame bikes are convenient. and cute but not really sturdy or comfortable for long runs. I have 2 westmarine bikes on my boat. Bike life will be greatly extended if stored in canvas bags. Cheap used road bikes are easily acquired and nearly disposable.

I have a full size, 26", Montaque mountain bike. It's aluminum and folds in the middle of the frame.
Very sturdy and easier to ride compared to the smaller framed folding bikes from West Marine, etc.

Back
Top Bottom