Battery power for home during power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the power goes out, and my boat is on the hook down the street in 15 feet of water. What side of the boat should I set my anchor on?

The bottom side.

Anyone with half a brain can install a breaker interlock into a panel, especially when it is made for that panel and they have some experience. ...................

I have seen and repaired a lot of things that these people with half a brain have done. Many of these people were highly educated in other fields but had no idea what they were doing when it comes to electrical or mechanical things.

And for some reason, even after they attempted something, screwed it up and had to call on me to make it right, they seemed insulted when I pointed out what they did wrong.

I'm going to try to get this back on track.

To the OP, one solution I did for a local bud was to build him an enclosure for his gennie. Building an enclosure is tricky as they are air cooled and if not done right, gen can overheat, burn out or worse, catch on fire. In fact one local knucklehead built an enclosure with NO provision for cooling air and it did catch on fire. Brand new gennie toasted, lucky the fire did not spread.

What we built was a plywood box with a baffled air entry and exit. If you run the gen you will see that hot air is blown out at one region, and exhaust is blowing out from another region. Sometimes both blow out the same way. Set it up so this air flows out the baffled exit. On the air entrance side, we mounted a fan to force air into the entrance.

We ran the gen with no enclosure, measured temps in various places with IR gun, then put it in the enclosure. After about a half hour, took lid off and checked temps. Only about 10F higher, so we felt it was safe.

In the box, it was nearly silent.

Get something like a Honda 2000, which is very quiet already, do an engineered box, and the neighbors probably will not hear it at all.

If nobody hears it, nobody is likely to complain to the HOA, and if nobody complains, everyone is happy and you have AC and fridge and lights all night.

Unfortunately, the deed restrictions do not focus on noise levels, they prohibit running a generator during certain hours. It doesn't matter how quiet the generator is, it's still a violation and it's pretty hard to hide the only house in the neighborhood with lights.

Somehow this fact keeps getting lost in the discussion.

Last edited:
I thought I'd toss a bit of Fort Lauderdale requirements on installations of generators.

EMERGENCY GENERATORS
Requirements for Permitting and Installation
(OPTIONAL STANDBY FOR RESIDENTIAL USE)
Emergency generators must be submitted as a package with the following items:
1. Electrical Permit Application.
2. Two (2) copies of the Electrical Riser Diagram showing entire service, including:
a. transfer switch.
b. all conduit and wire sizes.
c. overcurrent protection of generator and equipment.
3. Two (2) copies of the Generator Specifications (usually supplied by the manufacturer).
Specifications must provide length, width and height of the generator to be used.
4. Two (2) copies of Site Plan (survey) highlighting the location of the generator:
a. showing exact location of proposed generator (minimum 5’ from building openings).
Exhaust must be minimum 10’ from building openings.
b. showing exact location of fuel tank (if applicable).
c. providing the dimensions of the distances between the proposed generator/fuel tank
and the side and rear property lines (set backs).
d. providing verification that generator will be installed at current base flood elevation
or above per FBC 3110.1.2 and FBC R301.2.4 FEMA.
Note: Mechanical equipment and generators cannot be closer than 5’ to the property
lines and 10’ to the water. Equipment can be no larger that 40 sq. ft. in area and
5’ in height.
5. A Building Permit Application is required if a slab is to be poured:
a. if the slab is existing or “prefab”, a building permit is not required.
b. the slab must be a minimum of 4” thick and comply with standards set forth by
FBC 1820.5.
c. specifications for generator anchorage for wind loads per FBC 1612.1.2.
Note: It is the responsibility of the contractor to verify that the soil bearing capacity
will support the slab and generator.
6. If natural or LP gas is used, a Plumbing Permit Application is required from a licensed
contractor.
7. Two(2) Isometric Rise Diagrams with plan view:
a. showing total length and type of piping and chart used to size gas system.
b. showing generator BTU rating.
8. If a non-self contained diesel fuel generator is proposed, a Mechanical Permit Application
is required. In addition, the plan showing diesel fuel holding tanks must be approved by EDP.
Note: Portable generators will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

They forgot to mention you need to measure toenail length and compare that to industry specs..

They forgot to mention you need to measure toenail length and compare that to industry specs..

That's part of another rule. Fortunately, contractors here know what the rules are and find them easy to comply with, but do it yourself wiring of any sort is very difficult here and impossible except for a few well trained and with experience, and does require permits and approval.

Sounds like complying with the government installation requirements will cost several times more than the actual generator. Guess they only want the wealthy to have them.

Ted

Bringing it back to what I was originally asking about...:D

I'm looking at the following:

KEY ASSUMPTIONS
1. window A/C will be 10k btu Frigidaire; consumes about 7.7 amps.
2. over an 8 hour period that will be about 565 ah w/12v battery bank.
3. I'm expecting to be able to run at about a 40% duty cycle, which would work out to be about 226 ah.
4. I factor in a margin of 50% more, and that gets me up to about 340 ah required over an 8 hour period.
5. I will upsize it to 600 ah of capacity just to keep things healthy.

BILL OF MATERIALS
1. 3 x Exide XMC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free (AGM) Marine Battery - $750
2. 1 x Xantrex Freedom 806-1840 HF 1800 Inverter/Charge - $475
3. 3 x 4 AWG Battery Cable Set - $25
4. 3 x NOCO HM318BKS Group 24-31 Snap-Top Battery Box - $50
5. 1 x Go Power! FBL-200 Class T 200 Amp Fuse with Block - $56
6. 1 x FFRE1033Q1 10,000 Btu Window-Mounted Room Air Conditioner - $300

Total Price: around $1,650 plus tax

QUESTIONS
1. Will 4 AWG be big enough to tie the batteries together? Cables are 16"
2. Any thoughts on that fuse/block combo?
3. How about the Exide batteries? Any experience with them?
4. Are any of my key assumptions off?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sounds like complying with the government installation requirements will cost several times more than the actual generator. Guess they only want the wealthy to have them.

Ted

It's more like they want to protect the public by making sure the installation is safe.

It's more like they want to protect the public by making sure the installation is safe.

If it protects against fires, I'm happy. Contractors seem to have no problem complying or getting approval. The generator suppliers are familiar with the rules of each city and can tell you immediately when generators meet the size standards. In an area where many lots that are less than 1/3 acre, your neighbor's fire can become yours very quickly.

Final Design: Home Battery Bank

In the other thread, I think the original message got entirely lost on the sidebar discussion. I've finalized my design, and would appreciate if some of you could look at this and let me know your thoughts on the design.

I'm looking at powering a window A/C off of a battery bank:

KEY ASSUMPTIONS
1. window A/C will be 10k btu Frigidaire; consumes about 7.7 amps.
2. over an 8 hour period that will be about 565 ah w/12v battery bank.
3. I'm expecting to be able to run at about a 40% duty cycle, which would work out to be about 226 ah.
4. I factor in a margin of 50% more, and that gets me up to about 340 ah required over an 8 hour period.
5. I will upsize it to 600 ah of capacity just to keep things healthy.

BILL OF MATERIALS
1. 3 x Exide XMC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free (AGM) Marine Battery - $750
2. 1 x Xantrex Freedom 806-1840 HF 1800 Inverter/Charge - $475
3. 3 x 4 AWG Battery Cable Set - $25
4. 3 x NOCO HM318BKS Group 24-31 Snap-Top Battery Box - $50
5. 1 x Go Power! FBL-200 Class T 200 Amp Fuse with Block - $56
6. 1 x FFRE1033Q1 10,000 Btu Window-Mounted Room Air Conditioner - $300

Total Price: around $1,650 plus tax

QUESTIONS
1. Will 4 AWG be big enough to tie the batteries together? Cables are 16"
2. Any thoughts on that fuse/block combo?
3. How about the Exide batteries? Any experience with them?
4. Are any of my key assumptions off?

Thanks for your help.

Quick glance but wire size looks light for the fuse size
Check the Xantrex Install Guide

Here's an excerpt: (may want to go one size larger w/ one way run > 5 ft?

Table 2 Recommended Cable and Fuse Sizes

Inverter/Charger Cable Length:Battery to Inverter (one way) Minimum Cable Size Maximum battery Fuse Size

Freedom HF 1000/1055 Less than 5 feet (1.5 meters) No. 2 AWG 150 Adc

Freedom HF 1800 Less than 5 feet (1.5 meters) No. 2/0 AWG 250 Adc
Note: Xantrex recommends not using a cable longer than 5 feet (1.5 meters) in each direction.

Cable sizes above are based on the US National Electrical Code Table 310.17 - 75C cables,
assuming an ambient temperature of 30 °C cables.

Here are my observations:

1. Like I said earlier I think you will be better off with a smaller A/C unit. A 5,000 btu Frigidaire draws less than 4 amps and will run at double the load factor of the 10,000 btu unit which will keep the humidity down at night.

2. Your amp hour calculations do not include inverter efficiency- about 85%.

3. #4 gauge wire will not handle 200 amps. Go with #2 gauge for a 200 watt fuse or install a 150 amp fuse. FWIW, NAPA auto parts stores will sell you the cable and crimp the lugs on for you. It won't be tinned wire, but for home use it will be fine.

4. Golf cart batteries are much cheaper than AGMs, but AGMs are ok if that is what you want.

5. You do not need a battery box for non marine use, particularly for AGMs where they are sealed so no electrolyte spills.

I would add a couple of hundred amp hours of battery capacity to your design, both for charging rate (see below) but also to provide AC to power some LED lights at night and the refrigerator. But you could just let the fridge coast at night.

That inverter should work fine, but I am a little concerned about the charger part. It is rated at 40 amps, but you rarely get the full 40 amps for long. You will need to replace 300 or more amphours while running your genset during the day. Long term cruisers typically cycle their batteries between 50 and 85% because charging the last 15% takes too long. Give it a try, but you may need to increase your battery capacity.

David

I'm by no means an expert, but a couple of questions based on what I do know about inverters, battery banks, and AC:

1. will that inverter be able to handle the power surge when the compressor kicks on? That can be multiples of the current draw once it is running.

2. The inverter is a modfied sine wave. Will that cause issues with the compressor motor? My understanding is that many electric motors do not play well unless you have pure sine wave.

3. I agree with the comments about only having 40 AMPs on the charge side, which will only put out the full amps for a relatively short period of time, if at all.

4. Do you really think the AC will only run on a 40% duty cycle? We had some really hot, humid weather about a month ago, and the AC was running almost constantly in our 34 foot boat. this was with both 16000 and 10000 BTU marine units running (and I believe marine units are a bit more efficient as they use the water to carry away the heat, and during the day the water is usually going to be much cooler than the air.

The idea of running AC on an inverter came up quite often in the sailing forums when we had our sailboat, and I don't recally anyone finding a way to do it efficiently. Most wound up going with at least a small honda generator. We have a lot of friends who go that route with smaller powerboats and have been very pleased. Cost really isn't too much, although I don't know if a 2000 watt Honda would be able to start a 10K BTU compressor (run yes, but start is the problem). They do make soft start capacitors to deal with this issue. I won't comment about the safety issues of going this route, just pointing out that most wind up there after looking into large battery banks and inverters.

Multiple small Honda gens can be ganged together, likely would need 3 to start a good sized AC.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

The starting surge can be 10 times the running watts.

I had a small 1500 watt 300 watt surge Cobra MSW inverter and it could not start a small fridge compressor. So I took it back and got a 3000 watt - 6000 watt Peak Old WOrld Technologies MSW inverter and it easily starts everything, but will NOT start my Cruisair 16kbtu heat pump.

My recommendation, is dont even try with the Peak inverter as it blew up all its mosfets and I had to rebuilt the boards with new components, 16 mosfets, 4 mosfet drivers, 16 gate resistors, and several power output mosfets on the AC board. And I also replaced the input capacitors going from 16v to 24vdc type. So now, If I power on the inverter, I have a relay that open circuits the heatpump. Not that I would ever want to run a heatpump on an inverter. that is for my gen to handle.

My 6500 watt Onan gen easily starts my AC Heatpump, so maybe two parallel linked 3000 watt Hondas can start that AC unit.

Last edited:
I can't find any amp-hr capacity spec for those Exide batteries. There is no way they are 200ah, which I think is what you are assuming. An 8D battery is 225 give or take, and is much bigger than a group 31. I'd guess those are closer to 100 to maybe 120 ah each. So I'd suggest checking the battery capacity real closely because I think you are off by about a factor of 2.

With a 40A charge rate, it will take around 10-12 hrs to recharge.

Is the expectation that you run off batteries at night for 8hrs, then run the generator the remaining 16hrs? If so, then recharging in the 16hrs of run time should be OK. It will also be important to your duty cycle assumptions since you will only get 40% duty cycle if the AC is running 24x7 and just maintaining temp. If you only turn the AC on at night on batteries, it will probably run at 100% duty cycle for the first 3-4 hrs.

Don't skimp on batt cables and mount the inv as close to the batts as possible. Voltage drop in that loop eats quickly into your batt bank capacity.

The OP is considering this battery bank and inverter/charger scheme because his Home Owner's Association does not allow running generators at night even during an extended power outage. This system is designed to cool his bedroom at night. He will run a generator for the 14 hours each day that are allowed and maybe run a bigger window unit in other rooms in the house. His generator will not run his central A/C unit.

The HOA's policy has been discussed extensively in the original thread- http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/battery-power-home-during-power-outage-28288.html and obviously the OP believes it to be enforceable or at least he wants to comply, so he is thinking about the inverter solution.

As to the question of starting. The specs on the inverter he selected say that it can deliver 30 amps for 300 ms and that its short circuit supply is 55 A. That should easily start the 5K btu A/C and probably the 10K btu unit.

David

3. #4 gauge wire will not handle 200 amps. Go with #2 gauge for a 200 watt fuse or install a 150 amp fuse. FWIW, NAPA auto parts stores will sell you the cable and crimp the lugs on for you. It won't be tinned wire, but for home use it will be fine.

Please refer to the chart below for correct wire size-it is 3/0 for 200 amps

American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable / Conductor Sizes

Select LanguageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdish (Kurmanji)KyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu