Greetings from the great white north...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tachyon

Veteran Member
Hello all.........My first post on this forum after being totally blown away by reading (over the last two days) through past posts* and realizing that this is a group that really speaks my language! The cameradery is obvious and you are a real friendly and thoughtful group, obviously a treasure chest of*knowledge and experience too.
wink.gif
*We are still a month away from our splash date (May 8), and I suspect*our marina still has ice around the edges, but I'll soon be at*our 390*installing all the winter "boat project" items that have kept me sane since last October. I'm not very conversant with "posting" things in forums so*I'm sure I'll *screw up sometimes, but I'm very much looking forward to being an active member of this group.

Nick.

Attachments

• dsc01883.jpg
    dsc01883.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 78
Welcome to a fellow Canadian... *I know your "neighbourhood" fairly well, having lived in Ottawa from 1972 to 1988!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Thursday 7th of April 2011 09:55:17 AM

Just found Wilson, NY on Google Earth.....fine looking harbor you have there! We hope to cross the lake for the first time this summer, but only from Kingston to Oswego, then into the NY canal system. I need to introduce the first mate to big water a little at a time! We had an articulated rudder fitted to our 390 last fall.......I'm hoping she'll handle better in following seas. The improvement in calm water (pretty much anywhere on the Rideau system!) is absolutely outstanding.

We did the NY Canal System and the Hudson River when we brought our boat home a couple of years ago from New Hampshire. *It's a really nice trip, especially if you can take your time and really enjoy some of the stopovers!

That is definitely our MO when we're cruising! One exception was when we brought this boat home, also two yrs. ago, from Midland on Georgian bay. 78 locks in nine days, and that was in late May with the restricted lock hrs. Very memorable trip, but for all the wrong reasons! Trent river was in full flood, so we were rejoining into white water after every lock, and we got snowed on in the lock at Cambellford, On. Ahh......boating in Canada.

superdiver wrote:
Love the picture... welcome
*Thank you.........when I've figured out how to maneuver around this site a little better I'll try to upload some into the photos section.

Nick,
Got any info, photos on your articulated rudder.
Would surely make an interesting post in relevant section.

Benn

Hello, Nick!! The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. Welcome to a group of fellow trawler freaks! the ride.

Glad to see we have a new Canadian in the group. I love to hear the northside perspective in Off the Deep End discussions of politics and health care.

FlyWright wrote:
Hello, Nick!! The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. Welcome to a group of fellow trawler freaks! the ride.

Glad to see we have a new Canadian in the group. I love to hear the northside perspective in Off the Deep End discussions of politics and health care.
*Welcome, Nick.* No matter what Flywright says, admitting our problem has not helped any of us recover.
biggrin.gif

Tidahapah wrote:
Nick,
Got any info, photos on your articulated rudder.
Would surely make an interesting post in relevant section.

Benn
*Yes Benn, I do have some photos that I'll post soon. And some of the issues that arose during installation may be of interest to others, especially 390 owners. I'm really looking forward to*using the full performance of this rudder, but regretting not lifting weights all winter.........the increase in steering effort is quite dramatic (11 tons of boat really does want to keep going in the direction its going!) Maybe* I'll need to consider a larger dia. ram if I can't get more motivated with the weights........

Nick*

FlyWright wrote:

*FlyWright, I hope I never "recover" from this problem! I've loved trawlers my whole life and finally have one...............I'm now "livin' the dream", and enjoying it immensely.

Nick

Moonstruck wrote:FlyWright wrote:

*Welcome, Nick.* No matter what Flywright says, admitting our problem has not helped any of us recover.
biggrin.gif

*Thank's Don, glad to*hear there's at least some dissention in the ranks of this group I just joined!

Nick

Hi Nick,
I'd be interested in seeing info on that rudder. I've heard that they help out a lot at low speed but haven't heard anything about following seas.
John

John, I bought the rudder from Bayview Engineering in Washington State. They have a good website with photos, videos etc. Yes, the low speed performance of this rudder transforms the boat's handling, and when I get that extra 600hp, I'll let you know about the high-speed stuff!!!! I've seen quotes from other 390 owners with this rudder that they'd sell the boat before they'd go back to the stock rudder.

tachyon wrote:
I've seen quotes from other 390 owners with this rudder that they'd sell the boat before they'd go back to the stock rudder.
*That's because the stock rudder is tiny. It is the same size as they put on twin screw boats.

There are a few 350/390s that have had a skeg and a large (more typical of a single screw boat) rudder installed and they handle fine, like a single screw boat should.

Not saying anything negative about the articulating rudder, just saying something about the comparison.

Back
Top Bottom