Products to restore vinyl windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
None have any suggestions for a product to restore vinyl windows. There are several out their but they are expensive. Some claim to rove scratches. Are they worth it or a waste of money?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have used 210 spray wax. It also helps shed rain water. It is available on Amazon.

As I said above, 210 worked very well on our older and hazy eisenglass. It improved the visibility a lot. I was very surprised how much better it was. We had tried Flitz polish and buff, no noticible improvement. I was turned on to the 210 by a canvas guy in Cape May. It is very easy to use. I did both the inside and outside of the flybridge enclosure in 45 minutes.

A long time ago, when sports cars had plastic windows sewed into vinyl roof covers (sounds much like boat covers of today), toothpaste was the recommended cleaner and scratch remover. Worth a try? Readily available.

I don't know about "restoring" but Lemon Pledge will do a good job of shining them up.Try on a small corner first to be sure it is compatible with yours. I just spray on and buff with a soft cloth old tee shirt. I use it on the vinyl roll up windows not the EZTOCY stiff ones.

Star brite plastic restore, two step.

I do not know whether it is the best, I've gotten some good results.

There is a difference from scratches and that of sun damage, if you scratched it up say by a seat rubbing or strap its much like taking a scratch out of a nice car, light abrasive/polishing in steps. If its sun damage, which is all plastic after 5 years will have some, then there really isn't a lot you are going to do, get to 7 years and replace it.

A long time ago, when sports cars had plastic windows sewed into vinyl roof covers (sounds much like boat covers of today), toothpaste was the recommended cleaner and scratch remover. Worth a try? Readily available.

I have used ceramic stove top cleaner to smooth and polish by hand acrylic plastic back to clear.
On some huge plastic window, that will take some work. Maybe use a powered buffing pad.
This works by actually polishing away the degraded outer plastic to expose a clean smooth new surface.

Put that Aerospace 303 protectant on top to keep it clean and UV protected. Vinyl and Eisenglass is in their list safe to use on.

Last edited:
I have seen ads on TV using Flitz on plastic windows. It's an ad so of course they say it works. I've never tried it.

I have tried various buffing compounds using my polishing buffer on vinyl windows. ZILTCH!

My only solution was to sew in a new piece.

Strataglass warns consumers not to use anything but Imar products. I use Imar but it doesn't seem to do much. I've been afraid to use anything else. Am I being overly cautious? The detailers in FL that I've spoken to use 210.

Give 210 a try, you might be surprised. i was, it worked womders on my old canvas for visibility.

Back
Top Bottom