View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
re: Tell Me About Wood Boat Maintenance

Quote:
bshanafelt wrote:My boat was backyard built by 2 boatrights near Sydney, B.C.

They were building a replica vessel, using a 1963 Ed Monk cruiser as a model.* Launched in 1998.

Using West system epoxy and 3/16" x 1.5" Red Cedar strips, they built the hull cold molded with 6 layers of strips - this resulted in a hull thickness of 1.5".

The outside has a layer of glass cloth epoxyied on, then 2 part LPU paint.

It is quite strong and lightweight. - The boat diplaces 18k dry. We cruise at 21k.

I have dusty bilges, virtually zero water inside the boat as I use GFO packing at the shaft and rudder.

Maintenance is typical of a FRP hull.

As the layup method is very time consumptive, this method would be pretty impossible to justify in a production vessel.
Bshanafelt: Yours is a nice looken cruiser, errrrr trawler!* Yup... That Ed Monk was a great boat designer.* His son is too!* For years Ed Sr. designed*Tollycraft.*Great design*efficiency throughout!

What power source and HP*does your boat have?* You running twins or single screw?* What rpm do*you use to get 21knt cruise, and, what gph do you average at that really quick*pace?* Also, what*prop do you swing?**

Swinging*correct size, three blade, well tuned props,*and,*by using one of the low hour*twin 350 cid 255 hp Mercruisers, NOT BOTH, at just*below hull speed*(6.5 knts), I can get my 34 foot Tolly tri cabin*close to 2.50 nmpg.* At a full plane cruise, with*both engines at 3300/3400 rpm she does 16/17 knts... and gets about*1 nmpg.* At*WOT*(4400 rpm) she'll do*21/22 knts - I only use that level of power*in an emergency that requires very*quick moves (had to do that once for a couple minutes*just outside the Golden Gate Bridge);*or just to show off for 30/40 seconds to a friend.* But, I'd never leave her beauty-engines*at WOT*long enough to learn the NMPG at that rpm/speed - Probably scare the sht out of me anyway - lmao!**

-*Happy Boating! Art*

Art is offline   Reply With Quote