metal holding tank removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traveller

Veteran Member
Hi, fairly certain I will be removing holding tank from 40' Nova sundeck. Thru floor acess a little tight. Worst case should be able to use reciprocating saw on it. Any advice appreciated.

First make sure it's empty and the space very well ventilated. (sorry, couldn't help myself). :facepalm:

If you haven't disconnected the plumbing yet, fill and flush it several times. Might add some laundry soap and maybe a little bleach to the process. When I replaced all my sanitation lines, it made a very pleasant difference.

Ted

CAUTION! An angle grinder with a cut off blade is a potentially very dangerous tool. Speaking from painful experience.

Consider an oscillating tool with metal cutting blades. An expensive tool to be sure and it may require a lot of blades to get the job done. But you get to keep all your body parts.

If steel...my one handed Rigid from Home Depot did 2-200 gallon fuel tanks pretty well, andwas easy to handle.

But my guess your tank is stainless? And if so my experience with getting through stainless easily is with a cutting wheel as blades seem to dull too quickly. Sure specialty blades...blah, blah....

All tools can be dangerous in the wrong hands.....

Depending on Mfd thickness a heavy set of sheers might do the job, but the cuts leave sharp edges.

I have had much better success with an abrasive wheel compared to a sawsall.
I have also found that a circular saw with an abrasive wheel is faster than an angle grinder at this task. You can also adjust the depth on a circular saw.
Once the large abrasive wheel on the circular has worn down, I move it to the angle grinder for those hard to get at sections.

Make sure you clean it out first before you cut as methane gas is explosive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom