Dinghy Depth Finder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpoppop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Time Dead
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 55
Hi everyone- I want to add a simple depth finder or fish finder to my dinghy. Would be best, I suppose, to just hang it off of the transom to avoid drilling the fiberglass hull.

Anyone have any recommendations?

If you just want a bottom depth, any model will do...Humminbird, Eagle, etc. Some have internal batteries, some are 12V. Most include a transom-mounted transducer. Google cheap fishfinder

There is no need to drill the bottom of a FG dinghy. The standard transducer for a simple dinghy installation is a "transom mount" TD. That TD will epoxy to the Fg in the bottom of the hull and will give you good readings to 1000 ft. That is how I have fastened my TD, wihich I did in 2010. It is simple to do and will last the life of your ownership of the dinghy.

I have happily used a Norcross Hawkeye on my Whaler for 9 years now. Great customer service from them too.

Agree transom transducer is the only way to go. The Humminbird units are good too.

I have a Humminbird portable for those times I want a depthfinder in the dinghy. Comes with a 12v battery and a suction cup transducer mount for the transom.
Works great. Check them out.

Since my dinghy has no electrical system we lay a simple 6ft length of PVC pipe marked at 4ft down along the centerline just in case. The long end is for the Monk, the short for the dinghy. Have not needed it yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom